2014 Mazda CX-5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Aug 082016

CX-5

No issues leading up to this point with my Cx-5. went to start the car and all the dash lights illuminated and remained on. As I began to drive, I attempted to use the right hand turn signal and the warning lights flashed rapidly as the electrical system, bluetooth, navigation, and entire engine shut off. I stopped the car, put it in park, and tried restarting. When it did, half of the warning lights were on in park, including the service engine light, and when put in drive the rest of the lights came back on. I tried the right signal again (in park) and the same issue occurred, with the end result of the engine turning off. As I drove with these lights on, new warnings came on and off, including loss of power to my steering(making it more difficult to turn), ABS, speed monitoring, tire pressure, blind spot monitoring, horn, and basically anything else controlled electronically. I ran the codes and got long list, with most of them being connected to loss of communication. Some codes were: U0121, P0500, P0685. I took it to the Mazda dealer, and after 2 hrs of diagnostic there were unable to find the problem and said they would need more time (and money, obviously). From reading other blogs/comments with the similar issue, seems to be a faulty ground wire. This is something that is extremely dangerous and seems to be occurring a lot in this model. Mazda needs to address this issue asap

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

May 012016

CX-5

When car shifted to park in order to shut down engine, the vehicle often does not detect the fact the car is par when button ignition is pressed. Message appears on dash saying to shift to park to turn off power. Requires user to press brake, restart car and push shifter back to park forcefully in order for car to register park for turning off ignition. If driver is not attentive to dash message or ding when exiting car power remains on and battery is drained resulting in dead battery. This issue has been acknowledged by other Mazda owners, because I found references to it on the web. Took car to Mazda dealership and they indicated this is an issue on other Mazda models. The date listed below was the latest instance that resulted in complete power drain and required jump start for recharge. However, this seems to happen frequently, resulting in need to restart the car in order to register the car is in park in order to turn it off. I bought this car used and initially replaced battery thinking that was the problem.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 042016

CX-5

The instrument panel states on after shutting of the engine. The car starts beeping when you open the door and you are not able to look the car. Look like the transmission shift is not going to park completely so the battery dies every time.,

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Dec 012015

CX-5

Keyless do not work most of the time. This is been going for a month. Remy E

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 082015

CX-5

I purchased this vehicle in April 2015 as a new vehicle left over from 2014. Repeatedly, when decelerating, the engine continues to rev higher despite pressing the brake and keeping my foot off the gas pedal. This happens all the time and I've been told by both the dealership and Mazda that this is how the vehicle is designed. I fear the vehicle will not slow down when needed as it feels as if the engine is pushing to increase speed when I'm trying to slow down. It is extremely dangerous when the engine goes into overdrive for fast acceleration such as entering a highway and then a rapid deceleration is required such as when encountering sudden traffic. I've also noticed other issues with the electrical systems (blind spot indicators working inconsistently; hd stereo fading in and out; bad reception on strong radio stations) and I believe they are all related to a bad computer. It seems the computer needs to be replaced since it controls all aspects of the engine's operation.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Dec 042014

CX-5 4-cyl

Bought a 2014 Mazda Cx-5 back in November 2013.up until December 2014 and 33K miles, no issues. Second week of December, was entering the highway and decided to accelerate a bit, got up to about 80 mph and let off the gas.that's when all of a sudden the engine light, traction light and TPMS came on.car lost power but was able to pull off to the side of the highway.sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, pushing the gas pedal, car wouldn't go. Shut the car off and on and performed like normal.took it the dealer to have checked out.they couldn't replicate the issue and says it was my K&N filter I had, which is false since I've had the filter for the last 20K miles on the car and another 30K on my 2012 Mazda 3.let it go then the following did it again and but this time it happened twice in a row and the engine light stayed on.got the code of P0301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire issue.take it back again and they keep for almost 3 weeks. They finally got the car to do shut off. Replaced fuel injector with no luck.ended up replacing the crank pulley and belts and say it's working.they also replaced the battery because they said it died and had a bad cell.pick the car on a Tuesday evening and sure Friday morning did it again!! already called Mazda customer support and got a case number set up. Dealer "says" Mazda wanted me to take a tech out to replicate problem, which they can, why they want me too, I have no clue. Sure enough the day I take it to the dealer, it did again on my way there. Tech scans the car, sees the same codes and prints them out. Couldn't get the car to shut off again, so I wait. The following week, call Mazda customer support and say the dealer said no codes were found, bullcrap!! complained to the dealer service manager and he "says" that Mazda knows the problem, software related but no release date. I'm done and fed with Mazda and the dealer.

- Burlington, KY, USA

Jan 262014

CX-5 4-cyl

Impact was on the Mazda driver's side in front of the wheel and into the car- made a left hand turn did not see the approaching vehicle traveling 50 mph and hit the rear of vehicle. That vehicle flipped over and into the snowbank over 4 lanes. Airbags in the Mazda did not deploy. Concerned as the purchase of the vehicle was for safety.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Dec 122014

CX-5

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda Cx-5. the contact stated that when the door unlock button was engaged the doors remained locked. As a result, her child became locked inside the vehicle and the contact had to shatter a window to get inside. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA

Dec 232013

CX-5 4-cyl

The first incident was when I started the engine, the engine warning light and all other warning lights(sbc, ABS, etc.) came on. I called the Mazda service for an appointment several days later and I went to service for a problem, the guy who in charge told me since the engine light came off we can't do anything. So they just did change my oil and left. Second time happened with same problem, I went to my buddy(mechanic) at other car service he told me the guy told me was wrong because every car has a computer chip that records every problem. Anyway, my buddy diagnosed my Mazda Cx-5 and told me that my car has a bad or weak transmission signal that caused the engine shut off so I went to Mazda service for second time with same problem, they diagnosed and told me that it was the weak transmission signal so they had to reprogram it. On April 26, 2014, approximately 5:00am I was driving on hwy. About 60 mph and sudden all the warning lights include engine light came on but this time engine didn't shut off but transmission had no control to itself. I was so scare and all my friends who were with me got scared also because it was raining hard early morning. I had to pull over to service road then I made a completed stop but the transmission didn't start with 1st gear. It felt like it stuck on 6th gear so I had to press accelerator all the way to kick to it. This is the third time happen to me I don't feel comfortable with my Cx-5. I took it to the third time service for same problem on April 28, 2014. I've never had this kind of problem for any other cars that I've ever driven specially a brand new car. Anyone who has bought Cx-5 have same problem should make a complaint.

- College Point, NY, USA

Jul 062013

CX-5

Vehicle repeatedly failed to start after sitting un-driven for more than one day. Vehicle was taken to dealership on three occassions for repair. Vehicle failed to start after sitting un-driven at dealership during third repair attempt. Dealership replaced battery twice, but the issue was not resolved. The problem worsened to the point that major electrical issues were experienced, including brake system failure, steering wheel failure, gauge failure, and complete electrical system failure. Car is inoperable. Independent technical specialist conducted tests and confirmed that the vehicle was experiencing irregular electrical activity and suspected an internal electrical flaw in the alternator and/or a body control issue. Manufacturer has been ordered by a BBB auto line arbitrator to repurchase the vehicle.

- Mount Plesant, SC, USA

Dec 132013

CX-5

Loss of power steering at same time all dash icons lit up. Car then momentarily shut off doing 75mph; lost headlights (during night). This continued numerous times. Headlights started flashing on/off and right turn signal caused car to shut off. Towed to dealer next day and almost a week and they and Mazda engineering have no clue.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA