2014 Mazda CX-5 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Oct 062016

The headrest tilting forward is tensing my neck and shoulders significantly. I cannot get comfortably positioned. This is especially an issue when driving for an hour or more. I had a cervical Fusion and the forward tilt of the headrest causes my head to tilt forward uncomfortably. And I am forced to tilt the seat back more so the headrest doesn't touch my head, which reduces back support and is less safe than being more upright. My previous vehicle was a 2001 Dakota. Those headrests were inline with the seat back. My understanding is that the tilt is for safety, but it is so uncomfortable that I'm looking into ways to alter it. I've tried reversing the headrest but now my head is 4-5" away.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Aug 042016

Purchased my vehicle new Jul 2013. The following problems were all reported to Mazda dealership, some reported as separate complaints, some repaired, some minimized/dismissed. 1. lift gate latch/operation does not always close properly to engage lock. Must often be slammed hard several times to close/lock, ongoing since purchase. (minimized/dismissed by dealer) 2. passenger side airbag indicator light states that the passenger seat is not occupied when it is, ongoing since purchase.(minimized/dismissed) 3. suspension. Car is easily rocked back/forth by my young children, ongoing since purchase. (minimized/dismissed) 4. passenger seat belt would not engage. Repaired, under warranty. 5. driver N passenger window clicking/popping noise. Driver side window regulator replaced, under warranty. Separate complaints filed: 6. fuel odor in cabin and leakage onto ground. Dead spots on grass, stains on driveway. Unable to locate problem, replaced sensor, under warranty. Still having intermittent problem. Under investigation by Mazda corporate. 7. rear brakes; premature uneven wear, no light indicator, inner pads wore to 1mm and outer pads wore to 4mm, rotors at 10mm. Front breaks at 8mm; unknown if uneven wear. Squealing, grinding intermittent noise began abt 35K mileage mostly while driving not breaking, and increased in noise level, duration, and occurrence at abt 40-45K miles. There is a tsb 04/005/15 but for East coast conditions. Initially dismissed, minimized, ignored by dealership. Mazda corporate paid for diagnostic but says its normal and not under warranty, 8. powertrain: The instrument panel stays on after shutting off the engine. Then car beeps when I open the door and I cannot lock it. After leaving car like this and returning to vehicle I have had to have roadside come to recharge dead battery. Told to chng key battery. No help

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Keyless do not work most of the time. This is been going for a month. Remy E

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jul 232015

On 7/23/15, my key fob wouldn't work unless I press it up against the start/stop button, this has happened a few time and I'm not too worried about it. The odd thing was after it started and still in park, the vehicle auto locked the doors. I didn't think too much of it, I backed out of my driveway as normal and went to unlock the door for my wife. The door unlock function didn't work, it didn't respond to my key fob within the vehicle or my wife's fob outside of the vehicle. I decided to put the vehicle in park to see if it work then, still no respond to all three (door panel button, inside fob or outside fob). Only after turning the vehicle off and back on did the lock work correctly. I reported it to the dealer this morning, and was told they have no idea what could have caused this issue. I feel this is a safety issue that needs to be looked into and addressed.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jan 262014

CX-5 4-cyl

Impact was on the Mazda driver's side in front of the wheel and into the car- made a left hand turn did not see the approaching vehicle traveling 50 mph and hit the rear of vehicle. That vehicle flipped over and into the snowbank over 4 lanes. Airbags in the Mazda did not deploy. Concerned as the purchase of the vehicle was for safety.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Apr 272014

CX-5 4-cyl

When I got in my car I noticed a mark in the center of on my windshield just under the rear view mirror. I realized it was a crack and when I got out to inspect it discovered that is was about 6 inches. It was hidden from the inside by all the rear view mirror attachments. I couldn't locate where something had hit the windshield. The safelite tech who came out to see if it needed to be repaired or replaced said she had never seen such a clean crack and said it was too large to repair. I was unable to get it replaced before going out of town for several weeks. When I got back the crack had grown another 12 inches just while sitting outside. It was in the sun for part of each day. The technician who replaced my windshield ran a ball point pen down the crack and it did hit a spot that apparently was from something hitting the windshield, but you couldn't see it just by looking. The number of instances of this happening makes it appear that Mazda is manufacturing inferior windshields. I have never seen or heard of a windshield that would crack that rapidly or cleanly.

- College Park, MD, USA

Aug 242013

Stress fracture in exterior of windshield starting under the gasket extending straight down past rearview mirror and then hooking directly to the left. Car was parked and unoccupied at time of fracture. Had to have the windshield replaced at my expense even though the car was only 3 weeks old and had just over 1000 miles on it.

- Shamong, NJ, USA