2015 Mazda CX-5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Mazda CX-5:

2015 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Jul 112016

NHTSA recall 16C-644 insufficient corrosion. Rear hatch or lift gate may drop. Car was in the shop for transmission issues. Recall was not repaired

- Hudson, CO, USA

Jan 152016

Transmission issue: I turned on the car in a parking lot and tmps and scsb code and the tire pressure lights came on. I had about 15K on the car and it was just a year old and due for it's service. I wrote down the codes and figured I would tell the dealership when I took it in for service. I drove a little ways and stopped at a light. The car started to make a loud noise and shudder. I drove through the light and pulled up to the stop sign. The tachometer revved up but the car wouldn't go anywhere. I made it to the stop sign, put on my flashers and put the car in park. I turned it off and turned it back on again. I was able to drive a few more feet then again the entire engine revved up again. Repeat this about 6 more times. I was able to make it the mile to my house doing the drive, stop, turn off, start again and repeat. I had it towed to the dealership. The dealership fixed the car and said it was the transmission and that Mazda was able to tell them how to fix it because they'd seen it before and it was a a "shift concern and software upgrade needed." I'd really like to save someone else from going through this so I want to report it. If I'd been driving faster and the engine shut down like that, I could have had a serious accident. Has anyone else had this problem? also why wasn't this reported on any of the car/driver, consumer reports reviews. This is a serious issue and people should consider it before they buy the car. Mazda should fix the issue in the Cx-5 so that it doesn't happen.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Feb 262015

CX-5 4-cyl

Accelerating onto the freeway, the engine lost power and the check engine as well as several dash warning lights illuminated. The vehicle would not respond to the accelerator pedal, and would only go 45-50mph. I took it to the dealer and after reading out the data on the engine computer, I was told the problem was most likely "bad" gas. I was directed to just burn through the gas in the tank. When the car was returned to me from the garage it was running fine and I was not told anything had been done to correct the problem. I am still using the same tank of gas and have not experienced the problem again so far. I checked with the gas retailer and they have had no other complaints with respect to contaminated gas. I feel this is a safety issue. I had to drive the car on a 75mph freeway at 45mph to reach the dealer. Even with emergency flashers on that was a very harrowing experience.

- Spring, TX, USA