5.3

2015 Mazda CX-5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Mazda CX-5:

2015 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Dec 222016

CX-5

While driving through stop and go traffic near a traffic light on a downward slope (maybe 10-15 degrees), I attempted to apply the brakes in order to come to a stop. When doing so, the brake pedal was being applied normally but the vehicle wasn't slowing down like it normally does. As a result, I pushed down on the brakes as hard as possible and while the vehicle slowed down more than it previously was, it attempted to lurch forward more and more. I noticed that the rpms were slowly getting higher while I was in the middle of applying the brake pedal as hard as possible, but the vehicle was coming increasingly close to making contact with the vehicle in front of me. Due to the vehicle being close to being physically stopped already, I placed the vehicle in park as quickly as possible and the rpms for the vehicle immediately climbed all the way to the red-line (I believe 6,500 rpms) and then returned to normal. Throughout the remainder of the trip (another 5-10 miles), the vehicle exhibited no noticeable issues. I called the local Mazda dealership to see if any problems regarding the transmission were currently being investigated, but I was told that no recalls were currently open for a transmission problem.

- Akron, OH, USA

Oct 092016

CX-5

I have experienced intermittent problems with the steering wheel buttons, especially with regard to the cruise control (cc). Sometimes, the buttons appear to change functions with each other. Here is an example: 1.I am driving along on the highway, and I turn on cc ¿ the dash indicator appears in yellow. 2.I set the cc to my current speed, the dash indicator changes to green, and my speed is regulated. 3.I decide to reduce speed, so I press the minus (-) button once. 4.my speed increases by about one mile per hour. 5.I press minus (-) again, and I speed up another mile per hour. 6.I press plus (+), and I slow down one mile per hour. 7.I press cancel, and nothing happens ¿ the cc indicator on the dash stays green, and my speed holds at the current value. ¿it is possible that cancel reduces my speed by one mile per hour, but I usually don¿T wait long enough to find out, because I am trying to cancel! 8.I press off, and the cc cancels. It is still on, but the dash indicator turns yellow, and my speed is no longer regulated (I am coasting). 9.I press off several times, and nothing changes ¿ the dash indicator is yellow. 10.no matter which button I press, I cannot shut of cc. ¿the dash indicator will change from green to yellow and back, but cc never shuts off. 11.sometimes, I can run my thumb around the buttons in a circle, and cc starts working again, but this does not always work. 12.if I shut off the car, cc will work for a while. 13.if cc stops working as described, and I am on a long trip, it will sometimes start working properly again after some long period of time (30 minutes or so). I have experienced similar problems with the radio controls. I occasionally press the volume control and the station changes. Typically, this only happens once, and when I change the station back to where it was, I am able to adjust the volume again.

- Sarver, PA, USA

Mar 202015

CX-5

Leaving an above-ground parking garage, the city brake assist feature engaged twice, without warning. The car came to a sudden and complete stop and the wheels locked up. There were no cars or other obstacles in the vicinity that would have caused the city brake assist feature to engage. When the feature engaged, the car was going about 5 mph, on a slight downhill (the decline was simply from the parking garage), and it occurred during a straightaway section of the garage (e.g., not while going around a bend).

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Feb 212015

CX-5 4-cyl

I just purchased this vehicle in September 2014. While I was driving on interstate 15 at approximately 70mph all a sudden I had no more power I could not accelerate, when I pushed the gas pedal nothing would happen. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped put it in park and put it back in drive and it went. So I continued on my trip however, about 50 minutes into my trip now on interstate 215 that same thing happened this time when I pulled over just putting it I park and back in drive it didn't work I had to turn the vehicle off start it and then it worked. I had to turn around and cancel the trip as I didn't want to be stranded. I'm not sure if its the transmission or what.

- Oceanside , CA, USA

Jan 162015

CX-5

The contact owns a 2015 Mazda Cx-5. while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle's speed suddenly decreased to 40 mph without any warning. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Murietta, CA, USA

Nov 122014

CX-5 4-cyl

Our vehicle is equipped with the "smart city braking" feature that automatically prevents collisions at low speed. This system triggers the brakes and brings the vehicle to a stop when an object is detected in front of the vehicle. This system has been triggered by steam clouds coming out of sewer grates and has brought the car to a complete and very unexpected stop several times. No real "object" was behind the steam cloud / yet because of the way the system is implemented it detected an object and activated the brakes. This unexpected braking can quickly bring the car to a complete stop and could result in serious property damage or injury. We pass by an area with multiple sewage grates releasing steam and this system is becoming a safety hazard. We have been lucky enough not to have someone behind us when the system is triggered - but it is only a matter of time before the braking triggers in heavy traffic.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA