2008 Mazda CX-9 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda CX-9:

2008 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 102015

CX-9

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V451000 (suspension) and 16V356000 (air bags). The part was not available within a reasonable time frame to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. Parts distribution disconnect. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Oct 242016

CX-9

My complaint is Mazda rejected my reimbursement claim based on their "policy" of having only a Mazda dealer perform the repairs. I do not accept the rejection. We tried to schedule with Mazda. No chance. They are too booked. My wife is a school teacher. We must have the vehicle. A long story short, attached are (3) items: The recall notice from Mazda, the receipt from my excellent mechanic and the Mazda rejection letter. My goal here is to alert you that Mazda is being unrealistic. My mechanic is award winning (I watched him remove an engine from a Porsche 911. His a master. Also, we have four old cars. Mazda is just stupid. Maybe you can use this as a case study to train new employees. I still want my money. Sincerely kevin M. reeves 937-726-2134.

- Cpringboro, OH, USA

Jun 052016

CX-9

On Tuesday May 31, 2016 I took my Mazda CX9 to Mazda dealership for the recall, reference ##15V451000. I told the service representative that I was glad to be bringing the car in as it was making noises in the driver front and that the steering seemed loose. I was told that my car was inspected, did not require the recall and that all suspension parts were in good working order. On Sunday, June 5, 2016 while entering the highway while driving my 2 children and elderly mother, my ball joint and lower control arm broke causing an accident on the highway on ramp. I was informed by police that I was lucky this had not occurred moments later (at high speed) as it was likely to have caused a severe or possibly fatal accident. The car was not drive able and required me tow my vehicle and find alternative transportation.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 122015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribute disconnect.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 222008

CX-9

The contact owned a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. while driving at various speeds, the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle jumped a curb and struck a tree. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an independent mechanic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension) after the failure occurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 142016

CX-9

When driving under 20 mph entering into our neighborhood, heard a loud "pop" - then the front left tire suspension 'popped off' the tire, causing the car to lose control and hit the curb with the right tire. It appears that the suspension just "popped off" the joint causing the tire to become 'dislodged' from the vehicle - and sent the car into the curb - see pictures. No police report was taken as it did not involve personal injury nor another vehicle. Upon investigation on the web, it appears that NHTSA has an open investigation into similar problems with 2007/2008 Mazda Cx-9S (see action number: PE15022) - which is why I am writing to you now.

- Media, PA, USA

Jan 062016

CX-9

Master cylinder leak causing the brake booster to go out as well. Suspension weak and rusty. Mazda refuses to address the problem.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 152015

CX-9

While taking a right hand turn in the parking lot of logan airport, and travelling about 5-10 mph, my car made a loud noise and came to a sudden and abrupt halt. I stepped out of the car and discovered that the driver's side front tire had disconnected from the steering arm. The car was immobilized, and I was not able to move it out of the way of other traffic in the airport parking lot, causing chaos in the parking lot and causing them to temporarily shut down an entire floor of the parking lot while they struggled to tow the car out of the way. The car was subsequently towed to a Mazda dealership and the tire arms and ball joints were repaired pursuant to a recall (8515G). The front tires were also unevenly worn and replaced, very likely from the ball joint / steering arm issue, and cost $481.55. Mazda would not reimburse for the tires because I could not locate receipts to prove I had rotated the tires at the appropriate intervals, specifically stating "our dealer was unable to confirm if the wearing of the tires were due to the recall item as there was no supporting documentation indicating the proper maintenance on the tires". I do not believe most people keep records of every oil change / tire rotation they have done, but the wear was very consistent with what would be expected for ball joint issues. Furthermore the car had been inspected by the state of Massachusetts in the month of September, and no uneven wear was found at that time, giving further indication that the uneven wear was linked to the ball joint / tire rod issue. Fortunately this did not occur one day earlier while towing a boat on the highway with my disabled son, this could have easily been a multi fatality accident. I have literally had nightmares over this possibility. This is an extremely dangerous situation.

- Mendon, MA, USA

May 182015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. while turning the steering wheel, a rattling noise was heard. The failure occurred randomly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 178,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Boydton, VA, USA

Sep 042015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. while driving 50 mph, there was a noticeable shake and the steering wheel felt loose. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure could be related to NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension). The contact received a recall notification; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 61,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Devils Lake, ND, USA

Oct 022015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension) however, the dealer and the manufacturer declined to remedy the recall repair. The contact was informed by the manufacturer that the vehicle had not reached the inspection threshold for immediate repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Sep 092015

CX-9

Left lower control arm ball joint fail and ripped left cv axel. Right side ball joint was loose and right lower control arm was replaced, at the moment the car still cant do tight turn without clicking noise. Left lower control arm was replaced complete with ball joint

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jul 202015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jul 042015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact stated that while driving approximately 62 mph, the vehicle veered to the left and right independently. The failure also occurred while driving at lower speeds. The failure became progressively worse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who informed that the front driver's and passenger's side lower balls joints needed to be replaced. In addition, both front passenger and driver side wheel bearers required replacement. The failure caused severe damage to both front tires and two set of tires were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,100.

- Bourbon, MO, USA

Sep 232015

CX-9

Was driving on neighborhood road, heading toward a state highway when all of the sudden a large boom occurred and I lost total control of the car and went up the curb and onto the sidewalk. I thought I'd blown a tire but got out and saw the entire wheel was disconnected - the suspension ruined. Would be happy to share pictures mechanic says ball joint, cv joint came completely off as well as brake fluid all over. I read online about similar issues and that NHTSA has an open investigation under NHTSA action number: PE15022. Consider this another case! I'm thankful there were no people that I swerved into when losing control! this is clearly a safety hazard- ay least in states where salt is used on roads, like here in mn I expect Mazda to take responsibility and pay for these repairs please contact me with additional info or next steps. Thank you! information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Sep 222015

CX-9

As I was turning right to exit a parking lot there was a loud noise from the front of my 2008 Mazda Cx-9 and I was unable to move the steering wheel or move the vehicle forward. I exited the vehicle to see what may have caused it and observed that my front driver's side tire was misaligned. Upon further inspection I discovered metal shavings and a large metal object hanging down from the bottom of the vehicle, appearing to block the tire rim. A tow truck was called and the vehicle was transported to a mechanic, where they determined the two lower ball joints were broken and needed to be replaced.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Aug 292015

CX-9

A very frightening incident occurred Saturday August 29, 2015 approx 6:45 P.M. after a round trip travel on the highway for approx 80 miles. I drove just over a mile off the highway exit, came to a stop sign light then proceeded with a right turn. Suddenly without any previous warning the car made a jerking/skidding type movement, something seemed to drop out of the front end and the car came abruptly to a stop. Several people pulled over to see if I and my one month old granddaughter were ok as I was at a very busy intersection. A bystander told me that the drivers front tire was facing out to the left of the vehicle and there was considerable damage under the car as well. It is my understanding that the ball joint separated, the shaft or axle may have broken, and there may be other severe damage as there was also oil on the road. My tire was as mentioned. It is also noted that I am unable to completely open my drivers door door now possibly due to body misalignment now. I have pictures of any visible damage to the car. I am appalled after researching this problem that Mazda will be conducting a recall in September but has yet to send out notices to customers. In fact a second notice will eventually come out when parts are available. Had I not just come off the highway my car would have definitely flipped over and my granddaughter and I would have been killed. This is 1000% unacceptable. I want action now. I don't know what the extent of damage is to the car, nor do I want the car repaired, instead I want Mazda to replace it! not only I have experienced much anxiety from this I am also incurring tow charges, storage charges and rental car charges. I was advised to have an independent mechanic look at the vehicle before sending to Mazda but that would entail another tow charge and mechanic fee. None of which I can afford. Mazda must take immediate action.

- North Easton, MA, USA

Aug 222015

CX-9

This is a 2008 Cx-9 grand touring AWD that was going northbound on Indiana highway 31 and then made a U-turn to go southbound. As the car speed got up to 35mph going southbound, there was a sudden jerk and loud noise and in the front of the car and felt like it was dragging on something. The car became very difficult to maneuver but was able to pull to the side of the road. Luckily there wasn't any other cars or traffic around us at the time of incident. When I got out to inspect the car, I noticed that the passenger side tire was turned outward at a 90 deg angle and the lower ball joint was completely detached. The car was no longer drivable and had to be towed.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jul 142015

CX-9

Lower ball joint failure: While driving at slow speed on a residential side street, the lower ball joint on the front drivers side broke while going around a right hand turn, causing the car to skid on the then partially attached front drivers side tire and then skidded to a stop. The vehicle was then towed because it could not be driven.

- Valley Park, MO, USA

Jul 292015

CX-9

2008 Mazda Cx-9 grand touring all wheel drive with 20 inch (upgrade) wheels housed in northern va has had a series of suspension system issues. In December 2014 the front driver-side wheel bearing broke while driving from New York to DC. Luckily the roaring sound was noticed and the car was taken to a mr tire in time before the wheel fell off. Front tire wear was also extremely uneven and tires were replaced. Now in summer 2015 a creaking noise while going over bumps and hard turns resulted in the discovery that the front lower ball bearings were loose/had too much play, and we replaced the front lower control arms, swaybar links and bushings, and a broken rear differential mount. Mazda dealer suggests these are normal wear and tear issues. It feels like the suspension system is not designed to manage the weight of the car and normal city/bumpy/pothole driving.

- Arlington, VA, USA