2009 Mazda CX-9 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mazda CX-9:

2009 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Jul 052016

CX-9

So I was backing up from a parking space on a shopping center and my brake pedal on my Mazda Cx-9 did not stop immediately. Due to this problem I bump in to some one else's car. The pedal has turn so hard it was difficult for fractions of seconds to know what was going on. After the incident with having an issue with the brake pedal. I notice beside been hard it started making a squeaky noice and also like and air sound under the dash board. I found out there was a class action agains Mazda for their brake booster on this model and sure enough, that's what it was, I'm just so blessed it happens in a parking lot and not on the freeway. So I called Mazda and they said they will cover the part but I have to pay for the work done to the vehicle. So I did a research on pricing and I found out Mazda is charging $269 for the wok done, supposedly them covering the part, and outside that is just around the same price else where. Not only that they did not cover everything most likely my insurance may go up and to add to the problem they will charge me for renting a car while they fix it. There is no help with a part that should not have any problems in the time frame of the year of this vehicles. And it was manufacture defect.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Dec 152015

CX-9

When breaking I hear pulsating sound and very difficult to bring the car to a stop. The car slows down eventually, but require intense pressure to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. There is also a pulsating noise when the brakes are applied. It takes about twice the distance to come to a complete stop than previously. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure out anything wrong with the car. No indication of any problem on the dashboard, but I can definitely feel something is wrong with breaking. I do not feel safe when driving.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Dec 012013

CX-9

When I bought the car I noted with the dealership that the front, wheels where squealing and skirting as you turn the corner at low speed, they seem to wear quickly as well since I've owned the vehicle (2012) and have had them replaced twice and realigned, also the following year after purchasing the car, when it snowed frequently, the ABS light stayed on constantly and seemed to feel really gritty while pumping the breaks in the snow, causing the car not to break even at low speeds, there is a rattling every once in a while that became associated after the ABS light came on, which is on to this day along with the tcs light, the transfer case failed and almost caused a terrible accident in 2014 as it began to whine and eventually locked up on me as I drove to work, the mechanic replaced both front wheel bearings thinking that it was also a problem but when I towed it back to them he confirmed that it was the transfer case, he repaired it this year but Mazda says its leaking again and it smells like oil. My car only has a little over 80K miles and I've researched complaints on the transfer case and many people seem to have the same problem, this is very dangerous and needs to be addressed asap. These three issues may be related to each other if someone really took the time to investigate. No way a car should have concerns like this consistently under 80K miles. I work only 18 minutes from my job and do not travel that much to wear this vehicle.

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Sep 172015

CX-9

Was driving my Mazda Cx-9 in afternoon traffic when the car in front of me applied their brakes to stop. I went to apply my brakes and the pedal was hard and nothing happened...the car would not stop. I then placed my other foot on the pedal in order to apply more pressure and still nothing. Heard a hissing noise and then realized this car was not going to stop. "scared the hell" out of me as I watched my car hit the car in front of me. Thank god I was not going fast or this could have been tragic. Pulled over slowly to the side of the road and shut the car off to gather my thoughts. Apologized to the lady I just hit and could not explain to her what happened, we were both puzzled. I then slowly milked the car home to park it and call the dealer. This is what I found out....Mazda know's there are issues with the brake power assist unit and it actually was investigated by the NHTSA. Not happy with the fact that Mazda is aware of this problem and never notified me off it. Subsequent calls to Mazda and they said "one" memo was sent out and because of the mileage on my car it's not covered. Really....how can a company willingly know there's a brake problem and send "one" so called memo to it's owners. If I had ever seen that memo my car would have been at the dealers immediately. Not to pleased with Mazda at the moment......if this is what they mean by "we build excitement"! I'm not interested!

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Feb 012014

CX-9 6-cyl

While driving in stop and go traffic/parking lots, etc., I had three separate incidences in which when I depressed the brake pedal I felt no resistance and there was no deceleration. The brake either finally applied itself after I got the pedal almost to the floor or I let off the brake and reapplied the pedal and it functioned normally the second time. It did not result in any accidents but left me unsure about the safety of the vehicle.

- Glen Rock, PA, USA

Jul 172013

CX-9 6-cyl

Brake master cylinder leaked fluid into the brake booster causing loss of boost resulting in extremely reduced braking function.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 152013

CX-9 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Mazda Cx-9. the contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, excessive force had to be applied to the brake pedal in order to bring the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was informed that there was fluid leaking from the master cylinder to the power booster. The contact was also informed that the power booster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 38,000.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

May 202013

CX-9

2009 Mazda Cx-9 - on 5/19/2013 the brakes were fine. The morning of the 20th my wife returned home from work, and said she heard a hissing noise from the brakes. I drove the car to work later that day and noticed the hissing sound. I also noticed that the brake pedal felt normal at first then began to get hard and the car could barley stop.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA