2010 Mazda CX-9 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda CX-9:

2010 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 042014

CX-9

The vehicle stalls when idling at a stop light or in a a drive thru. The vehicles motor begins to shake and then eventually dies and stalls out and the vehicle must be started again with the turn of the ignition. The braking system is also defective. When at a stop light and your foot is on the brake pedal. The pedal suddenly sinks as if the brake fluid in the master cylinder has drained fully and the brake pedal sinks all the way to the floor and the vehicle shoots forward even if your foot is on the brake. Another problem is in the power door lock system. There has been a time when the power door lock was stuck and the rear right door could not be shut. I had to drive the car to the dealership with the car door flopping all over the place. They were able to fix it at the dealership but could not figure out how it occurred. They were as puzzled as I was. The car was bought back in 2010 brand new from the Mazda dealership. The reviews were good for the vehicle. Its the first Mazda we purchased and is probably going to be the last.

- Indio, CA, USA

Mar 262014

CX-9

I was driving around a sharp bend in the road. I pushed down on the brake peddle to slow down and the car kept accelerating at the same speed. The car never slowed down and I had to take the corner at a unsafe speed. I drove to the next street and tested the breaks and they worked fine? very scary incident.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Mar 252014

CX-9

The contact owns on a 2010 Mazda CX9. The contact stated that the brake pedal became stuck to the floorboard and made a strange noise while attempting to stop. The contact was able to release the brake pedal and brought the vehicle to a stop by depressing the brake pedal several times. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to an independent mechanic for further inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 51,000.

- Orangeburg, NY, USA

Mar 202014

CX-9

I noticed a hissing sound when pressing the brake pedal today 3/20/2014 and loss of brake pressure. I notified the dealer and they promptly told me to bring it in right away to be looked at. I did however a google search for Mazda CX9 brake issue and notice there are 7 other incidents with Cx-9 brake issue explaining the same symptoms. "the NHTSA complaints say that the problem causes a hard pedal, increased braking effort and reduced braking effectiveness. Some complaints allege that they hear a hissing noise during braking similar to the sound of air leaving the tires. No injuries or crashes have been reported." I showed the dealership the google search from the internet...pertaining to 2010 Cx-9 brake issues. Mazda dealer sounds like they are aware of the problem...and should be taking proactive corrective measures to fix this problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 062014

CX-9

Several weeks ago the brakes started making a hissing noise when I would depress the brake. Then, the car would brake as usual until I needed to come to a complete stop, whereas then I would need to depress the brake very hard to make the car stop, which then it would stop very suddenly. The most recent event occurred when my husband was driving down the road about 45 mph and had hit the brakes and the engine completely shut off, all the warning lights came on and it was very difficult for my husband to pull the car over and come to a stop. The engine did start back up and we drove all the way home and have not since driven the vehicle.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Feb 232014

CX-9

Vehicle makes a hissing sound (heard inside the vehicle) when depressing the brake pedal. Sounds like an air leak. Occasionally the pedal will go hard as if power assisted braking feauture is lost. Very dangerous situation! vehicle taken to dealer today (02/24/14) and was told replacement brake booster is required.

- Spring, TX, USA

Dec 262013

CX-9

Driving in snowy conditions; brakes failed twice when I applied light pressure. First time, the brakes shuddered, but the car finally stopped after I applied hard pressure; the second time it happened, the brakes shuddered, and nothing happened when I first applied harder pressure. Eventually the car skidded, but it was too late.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Dec 122013

CX-9 6-cyl

Driving, had my 2 year old son and 7 year old daughter in the car, a car slowed in front of me and when I pushed the brakes they felt hard as a rock and the car would not stop. Slowed down at a very slow pace while pushing on the brakes as hard as I could. I practically had to stand up. I was horrified. My brakes continue to do this. Sometimes they feel very hard and sometimes they push down but sound as if air is leaking out. I am taking the car in tomorrow to see what is going on. Obviously something is wrong, but there are no warning lights on or anything. I looked for recalls on the brakes and have found nothing. I have found others have had the same issue and hope that there is a recall before someone gets hurt or even killed. This was a very scary experience.....my children and I were fortunate I was able to go into the other lane without crashing.

- Moore , OK, USA

Nov 302013

CX-9 6-cyl

While driving my 2010 Mazda Cx-9 approximately 65mph on interstate 270S in Maryland, I pressed the gas pedal to accelerate in an attempt to pass several vehicles who were traveling in the right hand lane. Once I felt that I had enough additional speed to successfully pass the vehicles, I released the gas pedal and noted that the car continued to accelerate. I attempted to apply my brakes, but they would not slow the vehicle. After several unsuccessful attempts to apply my brakes, I searched for a safe place to continue traveling as my vehicle continued to accelerate, noting I would need to shift into neutral and move into the median. Luckily, after numerous repeated attempts, my brakes finally engaged and slowed the vehicle. I feel this is a manufacturer's defect that could ultimately lead to a fatality. I am too scared to drive the vehicle at this point in time.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 302013

CX-9 6-cyl

Brakes would not work as usual. After "stomping" on brake, car continued to move for several feet. There were no warning lights of brake failure whatsoever. Took vehicle to dealer to be informed the master cylinder and brake power booster were out and the car was dangerous to drive. Very glad nobody got hurt. Couple issues: This brake failure is fairly widespread with this make/model/year as I've found from research. Why is there no recall" there's not even a technical advisory from Mazda about this serious threat to drivers of this car. Does somebody have to get hurt first" second, I get that parts go bad - but on something as important as the brake system, the car should sound some sort of alarm, light a dummy light....something to tell the driver to stop driving the car as they are in imminent danger. To not address at least this second issues is neglectful of Mazda and the ntsb. To not address the mechanical failures by way of recall is also extremely negligent.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 032013

CX-9

This individual brought the car in to the dealer complaining of high pitched squeaking sound from brakes. Dealership checked brakes and said nothing wrong. Picked up car next day and felt that car not riding well and let it sit in driveway for 2 days. Went to drive again and pedal was "hard" as if it was on the floor. Then whenever I pressed on the pedal, I heard a hissing sound as if air was letting out of tires. Car response for slowing to a stop much longer. Called dealer asap and arranged to drop car off that night. Dealer called next day to say good thing we dropped car off night before as there was little to no brakes left due to power booster failure. How was it that I could tell brakes were going but dealer could not? this is a leased car. 10 weeks left on lease. Past warranty. $800 repair. Clearly Mazda is having an issue with the 2010 Cx-9 power booster due to the number of complaints lodged on this site. The service department for the dealer worked very hard on my behalf and was able to get Mazda to cover most of the repair, the dealer picked up another $200 and I had to pay $100. Fair I guess but since this is a serious issue Mazda should recall the cars and do the fix for free.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 042013

CX-9

As I was driving down an onramp to a freeway, I depressed the brake pedal and the car did not respond normally. I had to push full force on the pedal to get the car to stop just before rear ending another vehicle. This occurred several times after without any warning light or anything. I took the car to the dealer and found out that the brake booster has stopped working. They are going to replace the brake booster and I have to pay for it. This car is no longer under factory warranty but has been well maintained by a Mazda dealer on a regular schedule.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jan 052011

CX-9 6-cyl

I purchased a new Mazda cx 9 in the fall of 2010. After a few months, I noticed the traction control "tcs off" button illuminated while driving up a paved incline. After turning off the engine and restarting, the tcs-off button shut off. This happened a couple of times before my first servicing. I mentioned the issue to the Mazda dealership when I went in for regular servicing. They checked it and said they found no problem with it. Yet the problem continued sporadically. The tcs-off light occasionally illuminates on inclined roads, in rain or snow, when driving from a paved to an unpaved road (or vice versa). Still the dealership found no problems during servicing. Now in the third year of driving, I mentioned the tcs again to the dealership, and this time they said, oh yes, it is a problem.. Mazda released a bulletin about it, saying the tcs needs to be repaired for $340, and the car shouldn't be driven until it's repaired. Yet this is the condition I've always driven it in! and of course, now my warranty has expired, and I'm liable for repairs even though this problem existed right from the very beginning. The dealership has said they'd put in a call, and perhaps Mazda will cover at least part of the cost. If it had been repaired under warranty, I wouldn't be liable for the repair and I wouldn't have to pay for the rental car while I'm waiting. I'll see how it pans out. Very frustrating.

- Hastings On Hudson, NY, USA

Jul 272012

CX-9 6-cyl

I purchased this car from a dealer this year with $48,000 miles. It was in tip top shape. Recently the brakes are not working. It is not the brake pads, but a hissing sound in the line and no brakes. The cost to fix is around $1500 and I don't have a credit card or the money to fix at this time. In researching I am not alone with this problem. There are going to be some bad wrecks and problems if this is not addressed asap. I pray everytime I have to go out and stop really far behind pumping and trying to make them work.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 012013

CX-9

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Cx-9. the contact stated that the brakes would sporadically fail. The contact had to continuously pump the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the master cylinder and brake booster needed to be replaced. The failure and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 032013

CX-9

Brakes failed due to faulty brake booster. Two others at the dealership had the same problem. Mazda could not immediately fix the problem because they are out of brake boosters and are not sure when any will be available. Indications are that this is a wide spread issue and should be investigated.

- Southlake, TX, USA

Jun 052013

CX-9

Brake system failure involving master cylinder and booster. Leaking internally. Replacement cost of $1500 researched CX9 and found this problem is widespread and not being addressed.we had a minor fender bender that could have been much worse. Mazda usa has not issued any bulletins as of yet.

- Naples, FL, USA

May 042013

CX-9 6-cyl

Catastrophic brake failure. Brakes would not stop vehicle. Vehicle towed for repair.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jan 152013

CX-9

In June of 2012 I noticed that my brakes made a hissing sound at random times. I brought the car into the dealer for a complete service and brake check. I was told that the breaks were in perfect condition but they did do a brake flush. The hissing continued at random time until the week of 1/13/13 at which time the hissing was at every occasion the brakes were engaged. And on 1/15/13 the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. I brought the car directly into the dealership and was informed that it was a leak in the brake booster into the master cylinder. After researching this I have found that this is a common malfunction with the CX9 and I am extremely frustrated. Although Mazda acknowledged the issue on earlier models they are not acknowledging the issue on the later models. They should have to stand behind the parts and vehicles that they make. And when they know that a certain part or system has a history of failing they should take responsibility for the issue instead of making their customers pay for their mistakes and faulty parts.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Oct 192012

CX-9 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Mazda Cx-9 with approximately 41,000 miles. I have been diligent in my maintenance-always with a Mazda dealer. The car started to exhale slightly when braking. The car then did not want to brake/stop without pumping the brakes repeatedly. I was able to stop suddenly but unable to stop without ample warning at stop signs, etc. The vehicle was taken to Mazda dealership where they told me that the vacuum booster and master cylinder were defective. I was not allowed to drive the car because it was not safe. They then told me the next morning that Mazda/dealership found no warranty covering such a malfunction/factory defect B/C I had passed the 36,000 miles mark. I will have to pay $839 for a repair to drive my car that is an issue with the manufacturing of my car. The dealer told me I must contact Mazda usa directly to see if they will pay for it-otherwise I am responsible. I have read other complaints and an article in the wall street journal both sitting the existence and experience of this malfunction. The NHTSA was said to be investigating the issue. Mazda should be forced to recall the vehicles and fix the malfunctioning brake system. It is not the fault of the consumer but of the car manufacturer.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA