2010 Mazda CX-9 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda CX-9:

2010 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Nov 092015

Car was making grinding sounds when the vehicle was in motion, especially when I turned left/right as well as when I was stopping the vehicle. Most noticeable on city streets. Needed to replace transfer case and transmission.

- South Glastonbury, CT, USA

Sep 232015

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Cx-9. while accelerating from a traffic light, there was an abnormal burning odor coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was notified that the transfer case had a leak. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,200.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Nov 262012

CX-9 6-cyl

This car is maintained to manufacturer's requirements. Smoke filled the drivers cabin, coming from oil dripping out of the failed power transfer case, dripping onto the exhaust pipe and rising smoke into the cabin. This was unsafe and the car became unusable over a few days. I had the transfer case repaired at a cost of $1395.89, including associated cost of $136.36 for a rental vehicle replacement. I paid for the repair with a private extended warranty, that was not part of Mazda, to pay the repair shop. When I applied for reimbursement under Mazda's "special service program 92 (2010-2014 CX9 AWD power transfer unit warranty extension)", I received a letter from Mazda North american operations denying me reimbursement, because I paid for the repair using my personal warranty policy. Since I purchased this personal warranty policy, (not Mazda), I believe I am entitled to reimbursement for the repair.

- Happy Valley, OR, USA

May 022014

When I am at a stop ad start my vehicle accelerates without my assistance, this happened also while backing up and my foot was on the brake.

- Orande City , FL, USA

Sep 282013

CX-9 6-cyl

When I got in the car, the check tire pressure light was on. Stopped at a service station and had the tires checked: All was fine. A few miles later, the car suddenly made a loud whining noise and then loud banging noises and the car felt like it was seizing and shuddering. Pulled to the side of the road, couldn't see anything amiss under the hood. Re-started the car and headed home with the loud whining noise upon any acceleration. I called the dealership the next day and had it towed to them as I felt it was unsafe to drive after doing some research and noting the symptoms were similar to what other vehicle owners had reported as a transfer case failure. Upon examination the dealership did say it was a transfer case failure and replaced it that day. I picked up my car today and so far it is driving and handling fine. Several months prior to the vehicle failure I had noted a very, very faint whining noise when my speed was between 30 and 40 mph. I had my mechanic (not the dealer) try to examine the noise when he did my routine 30K mile service. The noise was so faint he was not able to detect it. He wasn't able to find any Mazda service bulletins that indicated a problem to examine further. Besides that faint whining noise there were no other indications such a dangerous vehicle failure was going to occur, and the car checked out fine at that 30K routine service. Not sure why the check tire pressure light came on immediately prior to the failure but the dealer said they "reset" it when they replaced the transfer case. The dealer was very prompt and professional in their response and treated us very well. But I do feel this issue is so serious we should have received notice from Mazda with a request to get the transfer case examined earlier.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Jun 172013

CX-9 6-cyl

Power transfer unit leaking oil, I may lose my 4WD if this is not fixed soon. It will cost $1150 to fix. There is a horrible smell from the leak that is coming into the vehicle. I have had 4WD vehicles for years and never ran into an incident where something like this had to be replaced. Dealer made this seem like this is a wear and tear issue not covered under any warranty.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Jun 032013

CX-9 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda CX9. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an overpowering burning odor from the vents. In addition, a loud knocking sound came from under the hood. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The dealer test drove the vehicle and the engine seized. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage and current mileages were 26,900.

- Cincinnatti, OH, USA

May 252013

CX-9 6-cyl

I noticed a strange smell in the vehicle. I drove a few blocks to home (luckily). Engine compartment was smoking as I pulled in the driveway. This was diagnosed by a mechanic as a cracked transfer case. Leaking fluid from the case was the source of the smoke; not covered under warranty by Mazda nor is there a tsb for the problem. A quick search showed that transfer case problems are common for this vehicle. This could have been a serious road hazard.

- Pittsford, NY, USA

Jul 042012

CX-9 6-cyl

Transfer case was first replaced in July 2012 with an oem part and now again 8 months later. Leaking gear oil, terrible smell coming into compartment of car and also had clunking sounds in front driver side axel.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

Jan 102012

Tell us what happened: Transfer case is bad. Dealer says this is a known problem and that Mazda has this issue with cars directly from the factory. Known issues should be recalled! I bring my vehicle in for regular maintenance, I should not have to break down with children in the car for a problem that Mazda knows my car has! the failure is so widespread there is a nation wide shortage.

- Croton On Hudson, NY, USA