2.8

2010 Mazda CX-9 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda CX-9:

2010 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Oct 032016

CX-9

After recently receiving our vehicle back from a Mazda dealer for warranty repairs on the ptu and control arms, we were driving down the highway at 65 mph - initially going up a hill in the mountains. The car would not shift gears (an automatic) and then would not accelerate past 30 mph. No dummy lights lit whatsoever. We got to the top of the hill and having no place to pull off on the highway mountain shoulder, stayed in the lane of traffic with our hazards on. The down side of the hill was a 6% grade with a cliff on the other side of the guard rails. All of a sudden - the power steering went out and the car was hard to steer. There was still no place to pull over on the mountain highway, so we coasted. We then noticed the RPM's were at 0 and all the dummy lights that are on when the car ignition is in accessory were lit up. The car had turned off - while we were going 65 mph on a 6% grade. No warning - no sounds, smoke, dummy lights - just off. Very amazingly dangerous. We were very lucky to not die a fiery death. My husband was able to keep calm and thankfully the brakes worked - we were able to stop towards the bottom of the hill. We had the car towed as it wouldn't start/stay running. The diagnosis by the dealer (not the dealer who did the prior warranty work) was a failed engine rod. Would have been nice to get a check engine light before having the car completely shut off. We drove the vehicle for less than 100 miles after receiving back from the warranty work and now this.

- Boulder, CO, USA

May 022014

CX-9

When I am at a stop ad start my vehicle accelerates without my assistance, this happened also while backing up and my foot was on the brake.

- Orande City , FL, USA

Jan 022014

CX-9 6-cyl

The car has been turning off while driving with no prior indications or warnings. Engine turns off and steering wheel freezes and locks up. This has occurred multiple time and we have taken the car to the dealer a number of times who has inspected it and even kept it at the shop drove it for a number of days and could not pinpoint the problem. We have made Mazda usa aware of the issue and the potential threat of this vehicle (they gave us a case # 149456450) however, sadly their attitude is that if the problem cant be pinned then it does not exist. This is a clear ignorance on Mazda usa's part and putting the public in a risk with this vehicle.

- Great Neck , NY, USA

Jan 062014

CX-9 6-cyl

Several weeks ago the brakes started making a hissing noise when I would depress the brake. Then, the car would brake as usual until I needed to come to a complete stop, whereas then I would need to depress the brake very hard to make the car stop, which then it would stop very suddenly. The most recent event occurred when my husband was driving down the road about 45 mph and had hit the brakes and the engine completely shut off, all the warning lights came on and it was very difficult for my husband to pull the car over and come to a stop. The engine did start back up and we drove all the way home and have not since driven the vehicle.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Oct 132012

CX-9 6-cyl

Ticking noise was heard as I accelerated the vehicle and as left turns where made. The ticking noise was louder when the engine was cold. Mazda recommended to replace engine immediately without further inspection. When I asked what was wrong with the vehicle Mazda said sludge was found on the dipstick. They blamed me the consumer and Mazda would not honor my extended warranty which I purchased though them at the time of my initial purchased of the vehicle.

- Katy, TX, USA