2012 Mazda CX-9 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda CX-9:

2012 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Nov 282015

CX-9

While driving on interstate 90 West in Massachusetts, 5 miles from route 84, our AWD Cx-9 started making a very loud whining noise. Within 10 seconds, the car started bucking, making a grinding noise and the steering became difficult. I was able to maneuver to the left side of the road; I could not make it to the breakdown lane because of the car's condition. Once the car stopped, we smelled burning fluid and some smoke came out of the vents inside the car. The car was unable to drive on its own, the wheels seemed locked and the grinding noise was extremely loud when in drive or neutral. I had to call 911. The mass state highway patrol arrived and had to push us over to the breakdown lane while the car was in neutral. The the mass state police halted all traffic on the highway for this to occur. We sat in the breakdown lane for an hour waiting for a tow truck. This entire situation was very dangerous. I had a toddler in the car with us. The highway was only moving around 35-40 miles an hour and slowing at the time of the incident. The mass state highway patrol and tow truck driver stated that the car may have spun out or flipped if the highway was moving at speed due to such a catastrophic steering failure. The Cx-9 had started making a occasional quiet whining sound in the days prior to the failure, on our drive from Virginia to mass. There was no other warning, no warning lights on the dash at all. The car was towed to the closest Mazda dealership and was diagnosed with an internal failure in the transfer case. The repair was covered under our power train warranty, as the car only had 28,764 miles at the time of the incident and is 3 years old.the Mazda dealer said there have been numerous transfer case failures in AWD Cx-9S. I want to see this part recalled because this failure created a very dangerous situation for my family.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 232014

CX-9

The contact owns a 2012 Mazda Cx-9. while driving 30 mph, the vehicle jerked to the left without warning and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries sustained. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 17,804.

- Madison, OH, USA

Jul 172013

CX-9 6-cyl

I have a Mazda 2012 that spontaneously stalls while decelerating. It also stalls predictably on an incline. Mazda corporation has stated "the stalling on an incline is a characteristic of all Cx-9 models" and are not willing to fix it. They have informed me that stalling while decelerating in my car has not been able to be recreated by their tech so they are doing nothing about it. I have been in two near miss accidents. The car loses power steering and braking and the driver has little to no control when it stalls. Please watch this video of a brand new (loaner from the dealer while they looked at my 2012 Cx-9) 2013 Cx-9 (125 miles on it). This is the "characteristic" I am referring to, please advise future buyers of this very unsafe "characteristic". when it stalls in my driveway, I cannot brake "sharply" or effectively enough to stop the car from drifting into the road. youtu.be/pbzhvieihkc.

- Andover, NJ, USA

Jul 112013

CX-9 6-cyl

Incident -1 traveling about 45 mph decelerating to make a right turn, the car stalls out leaving me with no control of steering and little ability to brake. Incident 2- making right turn (decelerating) car stalls out leaving me with no steering and little braking control. Incident 3- pulled up into driveway on slope. Put the car in reverse to back out, car stalled out leaving me with very little ability to brake.

- Andover, NJ, USA