2012 Mazda MAZDA5 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA5:

2012 Mazda MAZDA5 Owner Comments

Mar 012012

Starting a few months ago, my steering wheel shimmied as I was braking. It was intermittent. In may, the shaking disappeared but a slight grinding sensation(no noise) could be felt when I applied the brake pedal. I didn't think is was a brake wear problem since the car was relatively new and I live in a flat area with no unusual stress on the brakes. I was on vacation for a few months and did not drive the car. My husband drove it once and felt it wasn't safe to drive because of weak braking. I took it to the dealer when I returned. My braking distance was double of what it used to be. I felt unsafe driving the car the 5 miles to the dealership. The dealer seemed to know that Mazda would probably fix the issue even though brake issues are usually considered normal wear and tear. I was told that Mazda did fix the problem at no charge and that there had been a design flaw with the 2012 Mazda5's rotors. I was told they were too thin in the original design and thus wore out quickly. They also indicated they had fixed it in more recent models. I feel that this should have been a formal recall. The car rapidly went from a intermittent bother to a true safety issue. I continually worried that I might have to stop quickly and would not be able to.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA