2004 Mazda MAZDA6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda MAZDA6:

2004 Mazda MAZDA6 Owner Comments

Mar 142016

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda 6. while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the battery was replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil needed to be changed and the starter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After the vehicle was serviced and while driving at an unknown speed, an abnormal sound emitted from under the hood and the check oil warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was metal fragments in the oil and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 012013

MAZDA6 4-cyl

Kept put its self in gear which is a safety mode !!! so I went to change the battery and smelled something burning and the fuse for the radio was blown and every time I went to change the fuse it would I took it to the shop to see what was wrong and they had to replace the radio some wiring alternator was putting out 17 volts and burned out the wiring!!! this is a common problem with this car and should be covered!!!

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Jul 312012

MAZDA6 4-cyl

My battery on my 2004 Mazda 6 went out and I had to jump start it to.go to work and come from work one day. The next day I took my battery to get checked to see what the issue was and they told me my battery was completely dead and it had only 6 months of usage. I put a new battery in my vehicle and as I installed the new battery I unplugged it to see if my alternator would kick in to make sure it was working correctly and as I put the battery back on a shortage happens and my wipers came on at full speed and all my lights were blinking on my dash and a smell of electrical wires burning started to happen and the entire electrical system has messed up. Turn signal lights don't work, headlights, bose stereo, hazard lights, reverse lights truck don't open windows don't go up or down and while I drive the speedometer does not track the velocity the needle goes crazy and my E-brake light is on and track control light is blinking and the air bag lights come on all the time. I do not know where to start to fix this issue but I'm really disappointed in this because I just have 8 months with my vehicle from a dealer ship and they checked out car just fine. This is going to be a super high cost to repair all the damages. Just from a change of a battery. And to top it all thank god I wasn't in the car because their was a small fire in the wires but it went away quick.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 042011

MAZDA6 4-cyl

Vehicle has needed 3 battery replacements within past 2 years. Last incident was when vehicle had been idle for 5 days and needed jump starting. Vehicle ran ok for a couple of hours but after sitting idle for about 6 hours the battery was dead again. The next day an attempt to jump start the vehicle failed. In addition, many electrical components started up. The electric windows rolled down and wipers turned on by themselves. Vehicle was towed to Mazda dealership. First diagnosis was bad alternator. Alternator was overcharging. Second diagnosis was a failed cpm / computer. Dealership said overcharging alternator shorted out cpm. Also fuses etc. Had been blown out. Parts have been ordered but vehicle has not been repaired as of this note.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 012011

Engine will shut off without warning at any speed. I researched the issue and found that there are a large number of complaints regarding the exact same symptoms with the 2003-2005 Mazda 6. Mazda even released a service bulletin: 01-016/06 in 2006 regarding a bad throttle body with aa, ab, or ba markings. Sure enough after removing the throttle body, mine had the aa markings. From the amount of online complaints and the fact that a service bulletin was released, this is not an isolated issue. This is a huge safety concern and should be a safety recall. To top it off, currently Mazda has an issue with replacement throttle body's that will cause the car to jerk and stall at anytime. They have admitted that the current new stock of throttle bodies will not work with my vehicle. This will cause people to keep driving with a bad throttle body since there is no replacement.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Apr 292009

Ignition coils keep failing on Mazda 6 which could cause an accident because of loss of power. Other people we know with Mazda have the same problem.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Mar 282008

MAZDA6 6-cyl

Bought new 2004 Mazda6 and already had to replace the alternator also Mazda informed me that starter will need to be replaced soon. Why am I replacing these parts so soon.

- Brockton , MA, USA

Mar 222005

MAZDA6 4-cyl

Originally, 5 months ago, I noticed a problem with my 2004 Mazda 6I at when stopped at a red light. I noticed the cars idle pick up and the dashboard display flickered. The problem went away and the car was fine. A week later, I was driving on the freeway and again the dashboard started flickering and the car would not accelerate and hesistated to stay at a consistent speed. This was highly dangerous as I could not keep up with the flow of traffic and could have easily caused an accident. The problem ceased in a span of 2 minutes and the car was fine. I immediately scheduled an appointment at my local Mazda service center and after two days of investigating, they could not find the problem, therefore they could not fix the problem. The problem actually never occured again until a few weeks ago. I was driving home and I noticed some hesitency in acceleration and as I pulled in my garage, the car flat out stalled. I took the car out on roads that were not busy and the problem did not happen again. Then last night as I was pulling in on, the exact problem that happened previously happened again and my car stalled after entering my garage. I am some what fearful of driving my car on the freeway with the thought it could stall out.

- El Segundo, CA, USA