2011 Mazda MAZDA6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mazda MAZDA6:

2011 Mazda MAZDA6 Owner Comments

Jul 012016

Currently, I have been waiting for a replacement dashboard for the last two years. The right side of my dash board is melted. Apparently it is a factory defect in my model car. Two years ago the dealership took pictures, sent in the claim, and I started waiting. Since then I have received at least two letters to update me to the fact that the part still is not available. So I continue to drive around with a melted dash board, which by the way is a sticky mess. Now, as if to add insult to injury, I have received a notice that my passenger air bag inflator needs to be replaced. Yet again, the part is unavailable and I will someday receive notification when the part is available. Even more outrageous is that the letter says, "until this repair is performed, do not allow passengers to ride in the front passenger seat. It has been months and still no letter concerning the part being corrected.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 242016

Takata recall. I live in the humid hot South in Texas. Though Mazda is well aware of the defective airbags in my car and the fact that humid conditions worsens the problem, they have no plans in place at this time to fix the problem. We have contacted our local dealership and they will not even offer a loaner or rental car. In the meantime, I am driving around with a ticking time bomb carting young children to school. It is ridiculous that this is taking so long. Something needs to be done to speed up the recall and repair process.

- College Station, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Takata recall. Insufficient parts. But, Mazda advises us to "not allow passengers to ride in front passenger seat." That is ridiculous. Also, isn't the driver at risk as well" isn't the advisal insufficient? if they don't have the part, and if driving the car is dangerous as advised, shouldn't we be provided a loaner until the parts are available"

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 012016

Takata recall my son's 2011 vehicle has a takata airbag in the passenger side. According to the dealership they can not replace it at this time as there is not a formal recall. That is ridiculous. They know there is a problem. The website says it is a safety issue. A recall should be done asap on all airbags you know there is a problem with. Is it ok that the airbag kills a passenger?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 192015

Takata recall - 2011 Mazda 6 I was the passenger in a collision in November 2015 where the 2011 Mazda 6 was T-boned on the driver's side by another vehicle (Ford Fusion), which made the Mazda 6 spin several times, hop a curb, and deploy the airbags. As the passenger (front seat) I suffered injuries caused by the takata airbags and required going to the hospital following the collision. Injuries included at least three fractured/broken ribs and major bruising on my right knee. Injuries took over 6 months to heal, taking heavy doses of pain killers just to manage the pain. Lingering effects from this collision can still be felt 7 months later. The driver did not sustain major injuries aside from scrapes and a few bruises. Police reports determined that the driver of the Ford Fusion was responsible for the collision and was charged with careless/reckless driving. That driver failed to stop/yield in their turning lane before driving straight into the Mazda 6. the Mazda 6 was declared totaled by insurance. The Mazda 6 was added to the takata airbag recall in May 2016, approximately 6 months after the accident had occurred.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Mar 272016

Two car collision at an streets. Both cars in motion. Air bag deployed but didn't inflate. Smoke filled interior. Attending fireman at first thought the car was on fire. Examination showed that smoke was coming from a rupture in the air bag near the point where the bag was connected to the steering wheel.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jun 172015

I am having various issues with my Mazda 6. first, I have had the car 4 years and have replaced the headlights 4 times. I was told by the dealer it was normal. My major issue is the air bag light. Had a problem back in July with the light flashing. Dealer determined it was the pad sensor and I had it replaced. Now the air bag light is flashing again and dealer now thinks it is the SRS control module. The pad sensor was $200 and this sensor is over $500. I am not sure why air bag components would need to be replaced after 4 years. They are not a wear item. The car has never been in an accident.

- Warrington, PA, USA