2001 Mazda MPV lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mazda MPV:

2001 Mazda MPV Owner Comments

Jul 042009

There is an occasional short in the headlight switch in my 2001 Mazda MPV dx which results in the headlights not working unless I disassemble and clean the contacts. This has happened several times while driving the van and I now have to carry tools to fix it at any given time. We also try to avoid driving at night because of it. The plastic around them are burned and melted which is what caused the smoke. Tonight when we were driving home the smell was there again as well as quite a bit of heat when you feel the steering column then the headlights started fading off then back on again several times. We took it to Mazda the other year and they wanted somewhere in the range of $3500 dollars to fix the issue. This is certainly a major safety issue and should be a recall in my opinion. I have seen on internet forums that this is not a isolated issue because other people have complained about it. And the cost to fix such a safety issue is ridiculously high. I worry that if the lights do not just go out that there may be a fire since things are obviously burning.

- Sorrento, FL, USA