2002 Mazda MPV body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mazda MPV:

2002 Mazda MPV Owner Comments

May 182007

The liftgate damper pivot bolt broke, causing the liftgate to fall on my head. It only fell a couple of inches because of my height. I see there is a recall in Canada for this exact same issue. I called Mazda - they stated my car was not covered by the recall. I saved the old part. I replaced the 2 dampers and bolts - about $160 in parts. Below is the Canadian recall no: 2905L, date : 04/2005, model: Mazda MPV 2000-2004. Subject: Liftgate stay dampers and stud bolt replacement. Summary: Note: This recall is applicable to Canadian vehicles only. On certain vehicles, the liftgate stay dampers and stud bolts may rust and stick together, causing the stud bolts to break off. In the worst case, this condition may allow the liftgate to suddenly drop during opening or closing, injuring the operator. Correction: Dealers will replace the left and right dampers and stud bolts.

- Cazenovia, NY, USA

Jun 052006

When raising the rear lift gate door, one of the bolts that secures the lifting piston to the van broke and the lift gate fell. The person lifting the door was able to get out of the way so no one was injured. I contacted my Mazda dealer to report it to Mazda but the service manager talked me into letting them replace both pistons no charge. The bolt that broke was rusted and so was the other one. I think they should inspect all vehicles and replace them.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA