$1,800.00

1. stripped and repainted (1 reports)
2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata:

2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Owner Comments

Jun 012009

MX-5 Miata

We are only the 2nd owner of this car and have only had it for 4 months. My husband has been wanting one for quite some time and we finally found one in immaculate condition. It has been garaged the whole time prior to our owning it. A few weeks ago, my husband was washing it, as he does every Saturday until it's immaculate and noticed some white spots, some as large as a grapefruit, on the trunk and rear side panels. He tried applying several products on it, including rubbing compound and it remained as it was. I took it to a body shop yesterday and they said the clear coat is delaminating, which is really bad, because you can't just repaint it, you have to strip it down to the bare metal or the problem will recur. Add to that time consuming task, the car is a convertible and they will have to take it off too, which adds more labor. They told me it would be at least $1,500 minimum to fix that section of the car, with no guarantee other areas of the car won't do the same thing soon. The man at the body shop said it used to be a big problem with all cars in the 80's and 90's and that he hasn't seen the problem in a really long time and he was very surprised to see that problem in such a newer car. He suggested I go to the Mazda dealership and raise hell the right way and there might be a chance they would fix all or part of it for us. I plan to do that.

- , Leesburg, GA, USA