2003 Mazda Protege suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mazda Protege:

2003 Mazda Protege Owner Comments

Jun 012014

Protege 4-cyl

Passenger side strut tower has rusted to the point that failure of the suspension is imminent. The rust inhibitor that was applied from Mazda motor Corp. During manufacturing, on the passenger front wheel well has failed and is allowing water, road salt etc to enter the engine bay and cause severe rusting on the top and side portion of the strut tower where the side motor mount and strut tower brace attach to the strut tower. The failure of the rust inhibitor has now caused the failure of the steel strut tower which in-turn could cause the engine and/or front passenger side suspension to become dislodged and cause a severe accident. Pictures can be provided upon request.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Mar 052011

Protege 4-cyl

I bought the car from a smaller cheap dealership, I had no idea that the front end would be as bad as it got. My lower control arm / ball joint was so corroded every time I made a left turn it would make a loud noise in the left front wheel then would continue to happen over and over each time. This would happen often when it was dry and warm and sat for awhile. Living in buffalo, well you can not help but hit potholes in some places more than others. This would make the problem worse and throw my steering off while travel at a high rate of speed. If I was doing the curves on route 33 or route 290 I would have to slow done to maintain steering ability. I have recently been told it was so bad I could lose my wheel and crash. So I went to a local repair shop and they fixed the problem; but with a slightly new problem one of the screws were so corroded they charged me $100 to make an access panel from my drivers side floor panel under my feet. The total for just those parts came to $350 plus wheel alignment.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Dec 312013

Protege 4-cyl

Passenger side inner fender where the strut is mounted is getting rusted badly making the car unsafe to drive. Car runs fine but I can push with the finger from the wheel side and see the body move. If car goes over a pot hole it might make the strut fall off and cause a major accident. This is structure issue. I cant replace anything. Mazda should buy it back just like Nissan did on their pathfinder.

- West Chester , OH, USA

Apr 032012

My car does that as I am turning out the driveway and going over the bumps on roads.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Mar 012011

2003 Mazda Protege. Consumer states electrical problems with vehicle and several other concerns the consumer stated the lights stayed on and the alarm would sound intermittently. The dealer replaced the electrical module. The consumer also stated the engine overheated due to a water pump leak and leaking radiator, the battery was replaced several times, the vehicle was out of alignment, and the consumer had to purchase three sets of tires.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Feb 242004

While driving at low speeds, the vehicle vibrated. Consumer was not sure if the problem was with the tires or suspension.

- Louisville, KY, USA