2004 Mazda RX-8 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Mar 102010

I don't even know where to begin with the problem I have had with my 2004 Mazda Rx-8. I have owned it since September 2003 and it has had countless issues, parts replaced and failures. The incident I experienced last night put me over the edge and almost cost me my life. My Rx-8, which was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago, had an engine malfunction while I was on a major highway in Massachusetts. The speed of the vehicle went from approx 50mph to 10mph in a matter of a few seconds. Luckily I was able to make my way to the breakdown lane without injuring myself or anyone else; however, this is unacceptable. Every single part in my Rx-8 has been replaced except for the engine mounts and engine. I have dished out thousands of dollars already and the vehicle only has 44,000 miles on it. Not only is this a safety hazard to those of us driving the vehicle, but it is also a safety hazard to those around us. Had the car behind me not been paying attention my vehicle could have caused a deadly car crash in the middle of rush hour on a major highway. I have contacted numerous dealerships, the BBB, and am now looking into a class action lawsuit. Mazda needs to be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately because my car was purchased in 2003, BBB wouldn't have anything to do with the case, however I have 57 pages of detailed repairs that have been made to this vehicle since I owned it, which I am more than happy to send to you. Tons of people online have had similar issues; just from there are 30+ email addresses of individuals who have experienced problems similar to mine. Please help us get to the bottom of this faulty engine and make Mazda own up to their mistakes. People's lives are in danger and this is neither acceptable nor ethical. Ps- an employee of NHTSA has been contacted prior regarding this situation. Her name is cortney and her contact information is 1-888-327-4236 ext #: 1268. I received this from the forum.

- Andover, MA, USA

Sep 272003

RX-8 6-cyl

My brand new 2004 Mazda tribute's brake failed at 300 miles, after only 4 weeks of ownership. Both ABS and brake lights came on.

- Richardson, TX, USA