4.3

2004 Mazda RX-8 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Oct 062016

RX-8

Driving down the highway, went to shift up into a higher gear and upon depression the clutch pedal assembly snapped and broke preventing me from disabling the transmission and allowing the transmission to go into the neutral or any other position. I was traveling at approximately 65mph and my car has only 46,135 miles on

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Jun 172015

RX-8

The clutch pedal (already a known problem by Mazda, but no recall has yet been announced) cracked while I was driving last year. I was on hwy 13 in Minnesota and barely got control of my speed (was barely able to maintain use of the clutch) it sat until I could get it repaired, the same pedal is now craking in another spot, working on getting it repaired before it breaks again, this time will reinforce it.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

May 012015

RX-8

Cracks in the dash immediately above the passenger airbag which is currently a recall issue. It seems that a large number of RX8 experience cracking in the same spot on the dash, generally following an "H" shape. Reports are that the cracks follow the airbag module assembly underneath the dash, and the cracks follow the seam that would be created in an impact for the airbag to deploy. In my case it began with a 4" left to right crack. In 2015 a recall was performed involving a temporary airbag fix until a permanent fix could be designed. After this interim airbag recall was performed, the cracks intensified. Just received another recall notice that the "final" airbag fix is ready to be performed at the dealer which with all the removal and jostling of the dash to make the final airbag repair, will probably create more cracks. The recall was due to the possibility that airbag parts could become projectiles and cause injury. Would not a poorly designed dash simply break into pieces upon airbag deployment and become projectiles and injury? numerous RX8 owners are seeing nearly identical H shaped cracks.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 252010

RX-8

Clutch pedal bracket snapped and cannot go into any gear. Got stuck in a stop light unable to shift into gear immediately...when I was able to (after 1min of trying to get into gear), I couldn't get out of it immediately (took 15secs)...very dangerous considering if I was on a highway and got stuck in gear while exiting...luckily I wasn't

- Union, NJ, USA

Feb 032010

RX-8

The clutch began to squeak and I took it to the dealer for inspection. They found that the clutch bracket had cracked at one of the welded location. This happened under normal daily driving to work and back. It cost me $369 to replace the clutch pedal assembly with a new one. I don't think that this should happen under normal driving circumstances. This should be a recall item because if I did not take it into the dealer right away, the crack would have led to a catastrophic failure.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Sep 242009

RX-8

The Mazda people have known about the driver's side sun visor failing. They have a tsb open on it. I have a 2004 RX8 and I just installed my 6th visor. Up until now Mazda has replaced them for free, but now it's out of warranty and I'm paying for them. Sometimes when they fail they fail by dropping down and interfering with the drivers vision. I think it's high time that Mazda engineer a fix and replace all of these visors out on the road. From NHTSA web site.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Sep 032005

RX-8

1. outside temperature 80F or higher. Air conditioner on seems to contribute. Possibly altitude is a factor. Much worse in city driving 2. car looses power, especially at take off. I have pulled out onto the freeway and taken >1 mile to get up to 50 mph 3. Mazda have downloaded software patches twice - no improvement

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 132005

RX-8 0-cyl

While driving, the center console gets extremely hot. The area behind the shifter and also inside the cupholders are effected. I left my watch in the cupholder and when I grabbed it when I was geting out of the car, it was scalding hot. Maybe that would be good in the winter to keep my coffee warm, but it is definitely abnormal.

- Lake Forest, IL, USA

Jun 252005

RX-8 4-cyl

I just bought a 2004 Mazda RX8 and a piece of road debris hit my ac condenser causing all the freon to leak out. This happened due to the gaping hole in the front air dam of my vehicle. I live in southern Texas where temps can climb well over 100 degrees. (higher inside the car) I worry my 3yr old son is at risk of heat stroke or worse from the temps. Mazda will not cover this in their warranty yet they do nothing to protect the highly vulnerable condenser, oil cooler, and radiator from being pelted from road debris. As a matter of fact the air dam is so poorly designed that it actually funnels rocks into the ac condenser itself. I am now worried that a piece of ┐┐road debris┐Ł may hit my oil cooler and spill oil all over the highway. That is definitely not considered safe under any circumstances. Many people online I have spoken to have had this same problem and the service person at the dealership stated, ┐┐we see cars in here for this all the time┐Ł. the total repair cost is over 800$. even having to pay my deductible is asking a lot for this type of ┐┐malfunction┐Ł. Mazda advertises this car as a 4-door coupe and sells the car on its ┐┐practicality┐Ł. how practical is it to have ┐┐road debris┐Ł destroy your ac a week after purchase? I purchased the car from ingram park auto center here in san antonio, tx. From a gentleman named juan leon. They were of no help in the matter.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 292005

RX-8 0-cyl

I bought an Rx-8 last year, and have had nothing but trouble since the day I brought it home. The engine light and tire pressure gauge have been randomly going on and off for a year. I have had the car into several dealerships, none of which could figure out the problem. I have even replaced tires because I couldnt tell that the tire pressure gauge was showing a problem, due to the fact that it was going on and off several times a day. More recently my car died on me in the left lane of I95 in South Florida, as I used the accelerator, the car decelerated for no reason then died. It was towed back to a local dealer when it would not restart. After 5 days said they could not duplicate the problem and said the car was fine. Shortly after picking up my car, I noticed that the indicators were no longer randomly lighting up. (I thought that it was weird since the dealer said they didnt do anything to the car) just this past Friday, the car died again this time in the middle of a major intersection in South Florida. The car was towed to another local dealer who called me today to tell me that they once again could not duplicate the problem and the car could be picked up. This is now a safety issue for myself, my passengers and any other cars in the vicinity when my car dies. What is Mazda going to do when I have a major accident or get killed because they created a crappy car?

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

May 012004

RX-8 0-cyl

Driver's side sun visor cracked and separated from post. It was hanging and would not stay up, out of field of vision. The dealer removed the visor while waiting for the replacement part. After starting the car later the same day, the check engine light came on and the central display and door locks did not work. While dropping off passenger before returning to the dealer, passenger folded down passenger-side sun visor, which also cracked and separated from the post. Took car back to dealer, who is trying to say this is not under warranty, and has called Mazda rep to examine but is keeping my car. Several reports of this on edmunds and other auto consumer sites. I merely want visors replaced and electrical system fixed under warranty.

- Irvine, CA, USA