2004 Mazda RX-8 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 012012

RX-8

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda Rx-8. the contact stated that the entire center console overheated to the point that it was unable to be touched. The contact mentioned that the passenger side air bag cover was bulging and could crack at any moment. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,010.

- Johnsonville, SC, USA

May 012015

RX-8

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda Rx-8. while driving at 70 mph, the steering wheel independently turned in both directions. As a result, the contact crashed into a curb and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. In addition, the contact noticed that the rear passenger wheel well was curved and fractured. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 092014

RX-8

My passenger side dashboard over the airbag is cracked really bad like you can see the air bag I am afraid to have anyone in the passenger seat I feel like it is going to set the air bag off for no reason the dealership is telling me its going to cost around $700 to fix I have done some research on this it seems to be a common problem with this car.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Feb 152005

RX-8

Mazda Rx-8 passenger airbag dash cover cracks over time thus exposing airbag I see this as a definite eyesore not to mention how dangerous it is having an exposed airbag. I no longer feel safe having my kids in the car with me in the passenger seat. I feel as if it will inflate at any moment. I took the car to the Mazda dealership and they told me not to worry about it, or that I can pay $500-$600 to have them replace it.

- Davenport , FL, USA

Feb 102014

RX-8

Rx-8 cracked passenger dashboard. Cracked in the outline of the faulty airbag shape. I am taking in for recall of airbag but am requesting dash cover replacement as it is clearly caused by airbag leakage/fault.

- Cairo, GA, USA

Nov 012014

RX-8

Mazda customer experience representative and recall coordinator: This is at least the 5th time I have contacted mazdausa regarding the faulty air bags issue affecting my 2004 Rx-8. your organization's boiler plate responses that I have received are unacceptable. I expect this issue to be fully addressed and my affected air bags to be replaced as soon as possible. I am the original owner of the vehicle first registered in ca, a hot and humid state. Throughout the last 10 years, my car has been driven and garaged in many states across the nation that are hot and/or humid, including New York and Nevada. My car is in very good condition, air bags not withstanding, and I expect to operate it for many more years. However, I will not continually drive a car with defective and lethal air bags. It has been widely known that takata has been aware of their air bag defects since 2001. Continued denial by mazdausa to add my vehicle to its current air bag recall campaign is very troublesome. Air bag equipment are designed to save lives, not end or maim them. I feet there should be no discrimination of vehicles in Mazda's perceived geographical location of its air bag recall. All affected vehicles on the list as provided by the NHTSA website, at all geographic locations, must be included immediately. This concern has been filed with the NHTSA. I expect immediate action on your part to correct this blatantly incomplete recall campaign. Thank you for your attention.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 102013

RX-8

Dash board no passenger side where air bag is for about the last 2 years dash started cracking in the shape of a H every summer when its hot the dash looks like its got a bow in it like the airbag is going to just pop out it has gotten worse each year now dealer said no recall but there is a defect in the airbag to deploy without a crash occurring many Rx-8 owners are having this cracking where air bags are in passenger side but Mazda want do anything to fix the issue until someone gets hurt or killed from these defective air bags on the RX8.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 142013

RX-8

Horrible in 2004 years of this vehicle air bag light popped up suddenly for no apperant reason.

- Los Santos, CA, USA

Jan 012013

RX-8

The passenger side dash panel that is above the air bag cracks; which can be a safety hazard with the deployment of the air bag and cause injury to individual (possibly prevent deployment or create dash pieces that could cause serious injury). This is happening to multiple Rx-8's (go to Rx-8 club)! since this is a recurring issue with most if not all RX8's it should be recalled and fixed by Mazda.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jun 112012

RX-8

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda Rx-8. the contact stated the driver was traveling 35 mph when a vehicle crossed the center lane crashing into a vehicle in front of the contact causing that vehicle to crash into the contact. The vehicle was hit on the drivers side door. The air bag in the steering wheel did not deploy as the steering wheel detached from the steering column. The side air bags did deploy. The passenger side air bags did not deploy. The driver suffered a crushed pelvis, tail bone shattered, and their urethra was severed in half. The contact stated the side air bag did very little to protect the driver. There was no mention of a police report being filed. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Woodstock, AL, USA

Jun 122012

RX-8

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda Rx-8. the contact stated that the driver was traveling 35 mph when another vehicle crashed into the vehicle preceding the contact. The preceding vehicle then spun into the front driver's side door of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the steering wheel was detached from the steering column upon impact. The driver sustained severe injuries and suffered a crushed pelvis, shattered tail bone and a severed urethra. The contact stated that the side air bags did very little to protect the driver. The failure mileage was not available.

- Woodstock, AL, USA

Dec 142011

RX-8

Currently there is a crack that is forming around my dash board where the passenger airbag is located. I've seen several other forum posts about this eventually forming an outline around where the airbag is. I'm concerned that this will affect the airbag from either opening or opening when it shouldn't. another concern of mine is a problem that all RX8 owners have and that is the fishbowl taillights. Our taillights get so much water in them that they turn into fishbowls. I have replaced the gaskets on mine 3 times already. This to me is an electrical hazard not to mention a driving safety hazard.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Nov 062010

RX-8 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda RX8. The contact stated the cover for the air bags was beginning to fracture along the brackets. The dealer inspected the vehicle and confirmed that the air bag bracket was fracturing but was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 43,000. Updated 03/29/11 updated 05/04/11

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 102010

RX-8

I don't even know where to begin with the problem I have had with my 2004 Mazda Rx-8. I have owned it since September 2003 and it has had countless issues, parts replaced and failures. The incident I experienced last night put me over the edge and almost cost me my life. My Rx-8, which was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago, had an engine malfunction while I was on a major highway in Massachusetts. The speed of the vehicle went from approx 50mph to 10mph in a matter of a few seconds. Luckily I was able to make my way to the breakdown lane without injuring myself or anyone else; however, this is unacceptable. Every single part in my Rx-8 has been replaced except for the engine mounts and engine. I have dished out thousands of dollars already and the vehicle only has 44,000 miles on it. Not only is this a safety hazard to those of us driving the vehicle, but it is also a safety hazard to those around us. Had the car behind me not been paying attention my vehicle could have caused a deadly car crash in the middle of rush hour on a major highway. I have contacted numerous dealerships, the BBB, and am now looking into a class action lawsuit. Mazda needs to be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately because my car was purchased in 2003, BBB wouldn't have anything to do with the case, however I have 57 pages of detailed repairs that have been made to this vehicle since I owned it, which I am more than happy to send to you. Tons of people online have had similar issues; just from automotive.com there are 30+ email addresses of individuals who have experienced problems similar to mine. Please help us get to the bottom of this faulty engine and make Mazda own up to their mistakes. People's lives are in danger and this is neither acceptable nor ethical. Ps- an employee of NHTSA has been contacted prior regarding this situation. Her name is cortney and her contact information is 1-888-327-4236 ext #: 1268. I received this from the automotive.com forum.

- Andover, MA, USA

Aug 102004

RX-8

The consumer was involved in an accident in which he lost control of his vehicle. None of the air bag deploed although the vehicle was a total loss.

- Miami, FL, USA