2.2

2005 Mazda RX-8 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda RX-8:

2005 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Feb 032016

RX-8

My steering wheel is turning to the left on its own and it is difficult to turn to the right. I have researched online and I'm not the only one having the problem. I don't feel safe driving my vehicle and I am disappointed in the quality of parts. Issue 2: after the first recall on my vehicle, my motor is giving me issues again after being replaced 40,000 miles later. It turns off at idle and has problems starting. I fear this might be a safety issue.

- Davie, FL, USA

Oct 142015

RX-8

There is a flaw in the Mazda RX8 engine. It is why they stopped making them in 2011. The engines have bad apex seals. As a result - the seals blow around 70 thousand miles and the engine is useless. Mazda replaced my engine in 2011. However - it does not solve the problem. The engine still shuts down in traffic. This is extremely dangerous. When you are coming to a stop or slowing down the engine will just shut off. It has also shut off when I attempted to pass in the left lane while accelerating on the highway. It also has something called a hot non-start - this means - it will not start when the engine is hot. You have to wait 20 minutes for the car to cool before it can start. If there is no emergency lane when your car shuts down - you are in trouble and in a very dangerous situation, . I have been stuck numerous times in traffic and then the car unable to start. Also as a result of this hot non-start- you have to fuel your car with it running or you will have to sit and wait at the gas pump for 20 minutes before it can start. This has occurred before they replaced my engine from 2009 thru 2011 and now with a new engine from 2012 thru 2015 they also need to be investigated for fraud. I leased my car for 3 years. I then purchased it and financed it for 5 years in 2008. Mazda knew these engines were flawed - but they were still selling them to people when this engine issue has been around since 2005. The car is dangerous to drive. Also - the apex seals can blow when you are driving the which means the car will shut down in traffic as well. I am not alone - search Mazda RX8 engine issues on google - everyone has the problem.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

May 242013

RX-8

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda RX8. The contact stated that the oil coolant line exploded and spilled oil onto the brakes. As a result, the braking distance and time was increased greatly. The contact also stated that it was difficult to stop the vehicle. The contact stated that there was no warning prior to the failure. The contact stated that there was a metal piece that became fractured. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that there was no warranty or recall for the part. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 91,239.

- Gray, TN, USA

Apr 152013

RX-8

The clutch pedal bracket in my 2005 Mazda Rx-8 has broken and as a result is very difficult to change gears.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 012013

RX-8

I went to start my RX8 and it would not start. I called aaa to have it jumped, thinking it was a battery problem. The aaa employee sent to jump the car could not jump it and I had to tow it to my mechanic the next day. My personal mechanic looked at it and said it was a specific problem with the engine that was covered by an "extended warranty" Mazda issued because the 2005 rx8S had so many complaints about this particular problem. Instead of doing a recall, Mazda does extended warranties. They did the same thing with the clutch pedal bracket, which I had to jump through hoops to get the dealership to take care of it at no cost to me. They always want to charge, even when it is something covered by a warranty. So, my husband had the car towed to the nearby dealership. Automatically, they tell us we have to replace the battery because they need to do a diagnostic test to find out the problem. Battery $185 with labor and $150 for a diagnostic test. Then, we are told that only if they are able to prove that it was a specific problem covered in the warranty that Mazda would cover it under the warranty. If they find it is not that specific part, we will have to pay out of pocket. I was told by my personal mechanic it was that particular issue which is covered by the warranty, but of course, Mazda wants to do their own tests. My car has less than 50,000 miles on it and it is ridiculous that I would have to replace the engine for $4,000 when a quick online search shows that this is a very common problem with this specific car. I think Mazda should have their feet held to the fire and do right by their customer.

- Astoria, NY, USA