2006 Mazda RX-8 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mazda RX-8:

2006 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Apr 072016

I purchased/financed my vehicle on October 9, 2015 at hilltop Nissan (258 route 10, East hanover, NJ 07936) at 59,201 miles. On April 7, 2016, I went to start the vehicle and the vehicle would not start. I had it towed to Mazda of lodi, so the service department can take a look at the vehicle. The service department contacted me and said it was the engine and the vehicle needs a new engine. The vehicle has only 63,545 miles on it, and since then, I drove only 4,344 miles in the six months. I asked the dealer, finance department for a warranty/extended warranty and the finance manager said, there are no warranties. I did not receive a white (square) piece of paper or booklet for warranty information or "as is" information. Now, I am paying $8500 for a new engine. Then, I searched online for any safety issues or recalls on I found out that this vehicle has a devastating safety recall involving the airbags. (there was also a recall many years ago involving the engine, and that Mazda Rx-8 owners can return the vehicle, by choice, for a full refund??) the dealer, hilltop Nissan, did not notify me about this recall. They sold me a used car with a serious safety airbag recall. (also: Recalls on a engine) issue: I have a serious defect involving airbags that dispense shrapnel. I wonder what other serious safety issues involving the engine/vehicle that were not disclosed? thank you

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Aug 072014

The vehicle experienced a starting issue unexpectedly. One day it no longer wanted to start I towed it in to Mazda they said the vehicle was flooded. Again in February 2015 the vehicle started experiencing the same issue having difficulty starting eventually it was taken in again to midas the issue again was due to flooding. I paid for the services and took the vehicle home. The next day the vehicle had trouble starting but eventually turned one as I was driving the vehicle in to Mazda it shut down unexpectedly leaving me stranded mid intersection. Half an hour later the vehicle started. The vehicle was taken in to Mazda for an inspection where they identified that the engine had lost compression with no reason behind it...Mazda RX8 engines are very unreliable and a safety concern and it has to be due to manufacture defect...updated 03-16-15

- Salinas , CA, USA