2005 Mazda Tribute body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 202014

Tribute

The passenger side rear wheel well has rusted out such that the suspension is now protruding into the interior of the vehicle. This was discovered when regular rattling from the area progressed into loud bangs with each bump. The mechanic who discovered stated that the rust was abnormal, even for the geographic area, and that none of the other wheel wells exhibited any signs of rusting. He stated it was no longer safe to drive the vehicle and that this condition was most likely the result of some sort of manufacturing defect (as opposed to regular and expected oxidation).

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Jun 022014

Tribute 6-cyl

I am the current owner of this vehicle I. bought it through North shore bank off lease... I take good care of the car and have it maintained regularly. Recently the rear passenger area has been making a loud banging noise, I thought it may be a broken shock or something to that affect. I took it into Goodyear in racine wi. Come to find the whole wheel well is rotted out on the passenger side.. the mechanic said he could not fix it and take it to racine auto body also in racine, wi. They also said they have never seen anything like that happen to a car or SUV ever before. He said it has to be due to a bad factory process or some flaw that had been when the car was manufactured. They want $1600 to fix the area and I don't feel I should have to fix the flaw from the Mazda manufacturer. I feel it isn't safe to drive on the highway without more damage being added. I really would appreciate some sort of help or replacement of the factory flaw. The car is in fairly decent shape and at this point I can not afford a new car.. I don't know if there had been any other similar issues on any of your other vehicles.

- Racine, WI, USA

Apr 112014

Tribute 4-cyl

My Mazda Tributes right rear wheel well rusted completely off, leaving my strut hanging. There is no metal left to be connected to the suspension/shocks. The rest of the vehicle body including all other wheel wells are fine. The car is well maintained and garage parked. Contacted Mazda usa and a local dealership but Mazda refused to participate on any repair.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Tribute 4-cyl

The right rear panel is rusting out and made the shock broke lose from the body and I had to take the rear underneath panel off and remove the shock. This has happen to two other Tributes that in my area that I know of.

- Aurora, WV, USA

Mar 122014

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Failed strut mount - heard a rattle noise in the vehicle - this noise increased over the next few days. Looking outside the vehicle I did not see anything loose or able to cause problem. Checked inside right rear storage and found large hole to see tire. Removing the interior panel revealed the entire wheel well had rusted out leaving the strut hanging by about 2-3 inches of metal. This was banging around causing the noise. If this had fully failed during driving, it may have caused catastrophic failure of the tire leading to major accident with injury. I have stopped driving it until there is a suitable fix.

- Warren, OH, USA

Mar 122014

Tribute

The right rear wheel well is completely rotted out. The shock mount is about to break away. I fear the shock could fall against the tire and cause a blowout or carbon monoxide could be entering the vehicle. I just found the problem and am now worried about my families safety. We have owned the Tribute since new.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Jan 152014

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was an abnormal thumping heard from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the passenger's side wheel house panel and inner panel assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 91,000.

- Hasting , MI, USA

Aug 312012

Tribute

I was fully stopped at a stop sign on 8/31. I gently stepped on the gas pedal to make a right hand turn onto a busy street and my 05 Mazda Tribute took off at an uncontrollable rate of speed and I remember my vehicle jumping the curve, running threw a 4' sago palm (on the grass) and traveling approximately 35' - 45') before my brakes stopped the vehicle. The front end was severely damaged, passenger side rear wheel well hanging and damage to underside (I think, due to the palm). Driver's side airbag caused a few burns on my hand and arm. My vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road and no other vehicles were involved. Had I not stopped in time, there would have been other vehicles involved and more injuries or even death. Several police vehicles came and an accident report was filed.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Apr 012007

Tribute

I purchased a 2005 Mazda Tribute new from a dealership in elgin, il. When the vehicle was approximately 2 years old, the rear lift gate began to rust, resulting in the paint peeling and flaking off. This has continued to get worse and has occurred in multiple areas on the rear lift gate. Though I located multiple reports of this same problem on the internet, there has been no recalls. One report stated there was a technical issue with the paint by Ford (where the vehicles are manufactured) used causing this problem, but Ford has not corrected the problem or issued a recall.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA