2.0

2005 Mazda Tribute miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Jun 222016

Tribute

Passenger side rear wheel well completely rusted out, exposing and causing failure in the associated shock. The rear bumper now rattles over even the tiniest bit of uneven pavement and the car will sway in the back rear over larger bumps hit with that back wheel. First noticed going over uneven pavement after being parked for about 4 hours. Nothing prompted it other than a piece of uneven road may have been the final straw. This is apparently becoming a common problem in the 2005 Mazda Tributes and was addressed in a recall for 2001-2004 Tributes. Same problem, same area (passenger side rear wheel well) this is not safe!

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Mar 032016

Tribute

A noise in the left rear developed and the rear shock broke off. Upon inspection it was determined that excessive corrosion on the entire frame from behind the front seat area back rendered the vehicle unsafe to drive. I contacted Mazda Corp and was tld that yes there were known cases of excessive corrosion on that er as well as Ford escapes due to defective metal used in manufacturing. I was told it was not my fault as I could not have prevented it. That there was nothing they could do as the vehicle was out of warrantee. The Mazda dealer who inspected the vehicle stated it was ne of the worst cases they had seen and not to drive it. I was forced to trade it in at a great loss because I need a vehicle.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Mar 032016

Tribute

There is excessive corrosion of the rear structure of my Mazda. The noise from the passenger rear became a thunking and today I found the top portion of the strut had rusted and broke off. Upon further inspection it was found that the entire rear has excessive rusting to the structure. I found that this problem resulted in a recall of the same vehicle 2001-2004. Upon further inspection the mechanic stated he could not put the vehicle on a lift due to the extensive corrosion of the frame. I contacted Mazda customer service and they stated that although there was a recall for corrosion it did not include my VIN. The rear strut being broken and the bracket that holds it in place are no longer attached.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Feb 112016

Tribute

As research has shown the 2001 - 2004 Tributes have recalls on the subframe of the vehicle, my 2005 has the same problem on the subframe and is so rusted out that it is ready to break apart. I believe this is the same part as the earlier models and my VIN has been left out of the recall, I would really be great full if we can have this matter resolved before it becomes a tragic matter while driving the vehicle. Thank you very much for your time. I remain. My vehicle will be going into the dealer tomorrow morning for a different recall matter at bay shore Mazda in long island N.Y. if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 9176477868

- Rego Park, NY, USA

May 052015

Tribute

I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 80,000 miles, new tires, new brakes, new spark plugs and pistons (installed in April ) cost=1200.00 took my car in for an inspection in may and my mechanic told me there was considerable rust on the right wheel well and may not support the struts he advised me not to drive it and I took it to a body shop and they said D1500.+ not including labor and they could not guarantee they could GT rid of the rust, not involved in an accident-my car runs good but I afraid to drive it. 75 retired and this is my only mode of transportation and I cannot afford another car. I noticed on line Mazda has recalled a lot of cars for this same problem-do they nor undercoat cars anymore.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Jun 062015

Tribute

My Mazda 2005, has totally rusted out on the passenger back wheel well. The suspension is affected as well. The repairs are going to be very costly and I found out that the 01-04 models have done the same and there was a recall for the same exact issue. Mazda needs to extend the recall to include the 05 model as well. I am also filing a report with Mazda.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 082015

Tribute

Went to get my annual inspection and was told that my right rear shock tower is rusted out.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Oct 142014

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Right rear wheelhouse has completely rusted out at 146,000 miles, and the strut is disconnected from the frame. Mazda has denied any responsibility for this issue and offered no assistance despite the fact that there are hundreds of complaints of this very issue on the NHTSA website, and despite the fact that the 2001-2004 Tributes were recalled and repaired for corrosion issues. The mechanic and collision repair center said they have never seen rust this bad in the same area of makes of vehicles. The collision repair center also stated that this is a $4,000-$6,000 repair that the owner should not be stuck with as it is a manufacture defect. They manufactured the 2005 Ford escape frame in the same plant and they share the same problem. This occurred while I was traveling down the highway at 70mph and the shock broke free right behind my sons carseat, the shock was touching the inner plastic. Luckily I pulled over to find out what the noise was. Mazda seems to have no concern for their customers safety. Customer beware.... and if you have a child at least put them on the drivers side for some safety. Lets all hope Mazda will stand up for their defective product........

- Bridgman, MI, USA

Sep 232014

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Entire right (passenger) rear wheel well rusted away, including the shock mount.

- North Haledon, NJ, USA

Sep 102014

Tribute 6-cyl

The framework underneath and around the vehicle's rear passenger tire has rotted away, and the shock has penetrated the wheel well. The entire rear of the vehicle "rattles" loudly because of this. It appears that this deficiency was fixed, temporarily, before the sale of the vehicle was pursued.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Oct 012012

Tribute 4-cyl

2005 Mazda Tribute. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle recalls.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Oct 012004

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on freeway at 70 mph, vehicle swerves violently. Drove straight on rain groove surface, nearly roll over.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA