2006 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mazda Tribute:

2006 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Jul 072015

Tribute

My Mazda Tribute V 6, 3.0 all of a sudden stopped on the highway. I had it towed to my son's house, than to the Mazda dealership. It was at the dealership when I was told what had occurred. My coils had blown out and damaged my (PCM)computer. They said it would cost $2689. I could not afford the dealership's cost so I had it towed again to a private mechanic where he replaced the coils. I went on ebay and found a reasonably priced PCM where it was programmed keys included. My research has led me into writing this letter. I found that Ford motors and their affiliates have known about this problem with the coils blowing out the PCM for quite some time and have never told the owners of their vehicles about this problem. If I had known I would have never purchased the vehicle.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 062014

Tribute

When cold, gas pedal will not depress. Becomes firm and resistant to pressure. Have to slam on pedal, but receive no power from engine---happens alot when trying to turn corners, will not accelerate- can cause severe if not fatal accident if this occurs at the wrong time. Please force Mazda to issue recall for this part, could be related to throttle body as well.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Nov 012010

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 212014

Tribute 4-cyl

I was unable to stop my vehicle in time to avoid a collision with another car. It felt to me that I had no control over the car because the engine was racing. I applied the brakes hard but the car would not stop. The traffic light had just changed and I was accelerating to go through the light. That is when the vehicle went out of my control. After the accident, I tried to drive my car away from the scene but the engine was racing and I could not control the car. That is when I realized that the vehicle is not drivable because the engine appears to be stuck with the throttle open. I tried to drive it but had to use the emergency brake to stop it.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Feb 142014

Tribute

On Feb 14, 2014 my Mazda Tribute 2006 without any warning engine failure stalled on the road. Engine light malfunctioned no warning about oil level. I was very fortunate that the car did not stall crossing the 26 miles causeway bridge located in new orleans. I called road service brought car to paretti Mazda dealership in metaire Louisiana. I was treated extremely badly all service personel were rude and refused to offer any options about my vehicle other than $6200 for engine repair and no explaination why the engine light did not work. I was even offer a trade to purchased another Mazda from that dealership.

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Dec 012011

Tribute 4-cyl

As the weather gets cold, the gas pedal becomes harder to depress, and at times will not depress at all. This has caused numerous near misses when attempting to accelerate around a turn as the pedal will lock in place and the vehicle will not accelerate at all. It takes significant force to depress the pedal, to the point of stomping on it, and even then it does not always work. This is a very serious safety issue, one that will at some point result in a very severe if not deadly crash, and no one seems the slightest but interested in fixing the problem.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Feb 022014

Tribute 6-cyl

Not sure, but think there is a leak at the transfer case. It smells when sitting for a few moments, there is no oil leaks.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Jun 072013

Tribute

Just bought this car from a used dealership in milwaukee, wi. I have a 90 day warranty on the car. In under 30 days the engine has locked up on this truck. I was going at least 10/15 mph turning into the bank when the wheel locked up, the engine and oil light came on, and the truck shut off completely. It would not start after that. Finally, after it did start there is a horrible knocking. Probably threw a rod..... most horrible experience I've ever had with a vehicle, and this is my first newer car!!!! my old 2000 Chevy Impala with 200,000 miles on it drove like a champ! too bad I sold it not more than an hour before my new car went kaput!

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Aug 012012

Tribute

The contact owns a 2006 Mazda Tribute. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 12V357000 (engine and engine cooling) but was unable to have the vehicle serviced because the remedy part would not become available until mid August of 2012. The manufacturer was contacted and they informed the contact that there was a delay for the remedy part until November of 2012. The contact believed that the recall had exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Salemburg, NC, USA

Sep 292012

Tribute 6-cyl

Vehicle traveling on interstate highway of major metropolitan city when smoke from engine brought vehicle and traffic to standstill. Two fire trucks and police responded. Oil found sprayed on highway and throughout engine compartment, with total loss of engine oil. Vehicle taken to dealership service department for diagnosis. Per dealership report, oil leak found emanating from a large gaping hole on bottom of engine block (V6) where it appears cylinder rod #5 disconnected and went through the bottom of the engine block and ruptured the oil filter, releasing all engine oil content. Engine considered blown by dealership and given out of warranty, an $8500 engine replacement is required at the total expense of the owner given the vehicle is beyond the 36,000 mile engine warranty period, and therefore Mazda is not responsible. Driver experienced major trauma, smoke inhalation in compartment, and traffic backed up on interstate causing major delays of people to the local international airport. Mazda unresponsive for issue and repair. Vehicle engine was extensively tested by the state's department of motor vehicles in May 2012 for mandatory emission testing, and passed all testing standards, and documented. Owner will now junk vehicle that was in excellent condition given extensive damage and at total loss to the owner.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Tribute

I was driving down the freeway at 65 mph when the car started jerking and threatening to stop in the middle of the freeway. The "O/D off" light started flashing on the console. I pulled off at the next exit and the light stopped flashing and the car stopped jerking. The minute I got back on the freeway it started again. I took the car to the mechanic and after closer inspection and repair it was discovered that the clutch was burned out in third gear. The cost of repair to the tune of approximately $2000 and four business days later. I have only had the car since the end of July 2011. No warning signs, nothing to indicate a problem was occurring.

- Imperial Beach , CA, USA