2.0

2006 Mazda Tribute suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mazda Tribute:

2006 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Tribute

Wheel well on right passenger side has completely rusted out.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 092016

Tribute

The contact owns a 2006 Mazda Tribute. While driving at any speed, the vehicle made a rattling noise. A mechanic diagnosed that the rear passenger wheel well and the shock mount were extremely rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 012016

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

I heard a banging sound coming from the back of my vehicle only to discover that the passenger right side wheel well had completely rusted away and the rear suspension was banging around, I could actually see the bed lining of the vehicle scary when your driving around a 3 year old! I brought to a frame shop and was quoted $2500 for repair and basically told to scrap the vehicle (very disconcerting when there are only 140,000 miles on it),. after researching it sounds like this is a very common problem in this vehicle and I am hoping that it is addressed with a recall. I did end up finding an auto body repair shop to complete the repairs for $800 who told me he is seeing many drivers with this exact issue with this type of vehicle. After taking the back end off he said that the other side is about to go as well. I am now stuck in an ethical dilemma do I sell to another party to get my money back on a down payment for another vehicle or do I junk this vehicle that is unsafe and take the loss so that this doesn't become someone else's problem. Thank you for any help you can give me with this issue!

- Duluth, MN, USA

Feb 222016

Tribute

While driving on the highway I hit a bump. After this bump there was a loud banging sound from the rear of my car when I ran over any other bumps in the road. Upon inspecting the sound I discovered that my passenger side rear suspension had rusted completely away from the inner wheelhouse where the suspension was wielded to.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 182015

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

Because of the rear end making loud noise and vibration upon contacting road bumps and holes vehicle taken to repair shop where inspection revealed significant deterioration of the metal forming the rear passenger side wheel well, oxidation (rust) to the extent of large hole exposing interior department. Replacement of the rear shocks did not correct the vibrations from road irregularities. Mechanic described the cause as a result of the wheel well loss of metal & change in shape enabling metal to metal contact. Structural integrity duration is of much concern.

- Mccordsville, IN, USA

Oct 012014

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

There was constant knocking from the rear of the vehicle and I took the SUV to dealer. The dealer says "the right rear strut is not connected to the body of the car. There is heavy rust and this is not a safe condition to try the car". over the weekend, the shock mount bracket completely fell off. It doesn't seems to be a good design originally to use the sheet metal of the fender well as the connection point, without extra measure to secure the shock to the body. It is a defect.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

May 142014

Tribute

While driving to work I started to hear a banging sound from the back of my vehicle. It sounded like the back window was open & banging every time I hit a bump. I pulled over and made sure everything was shut. I proceeded to work but the banging persisted. When I got to work I checked the back compartment & removed my cargo incase that was culprit. On my drive home the banging still persisted. My husband looked at the vehicle and said that the shocks/struts were blown. I took it to the garage that night & it turns out that the passenger side rear wheel well was completely rusted through & there was no where for the shock to mount. When the mechanic pulled up my cargo mat in the back it is amazing that nothing fell out, the size of the hole from the rust is comparable to the size of a basketball. Welding is not even an option to repair this damage. There is no other rust or body damage to my vehicle. There was a protective coating on the inner wheel well to prevent this. The driver side is fine and is showing no sign of rust/rot. While searching the web for support I see this is a very common problem in the Ford escape and Mazda Tribute (virtually one in the same). When will something be done about this costly problem? as a side note, this car has been a problem since I bought it in 2006. I filed a magnus and moss warranty act suit against Mazda and won for numerous issues regarding the transmission and power train system.

- Swoyersville, PA, USA

Feb 022014

Tribute 6-cyl

Not sure, but think there is a leak at the transfer case. It smells when sitting for a few moments, there is no oil leaks.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Jun 282007

Tribute 4WD 4-cyl

Mazda 2006 Tribute AWD 4 cylinder with 20,000. At 17,000 miles on it noticed all four tires showing sidewall wear and feathering on tread. Had car aligned by dealer, told car alignment was out by 0.25 degrees. At 20,000 miles noticing cupping on all four tires. Driving 85% highway no off road activity. Noticing alignment was out after 3500 miles. Average yearly driving miles 20,000. Beginning to fell that there is a problem in front end geometry.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA