2008 Mazda Tribute brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda Tribute:

2008 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments

Nov 252015

At various times between August 2015 and November 2015, my brakes did not respond properly. At about 3-week intervals, my brake pedal would go farther down toward the floorboard than it usually takes for me to stop. This usually happened at low speeds (5mph to 40mph), usually when I am approaching a stoplight or stop sign. After all of these instances, whenever I parked my car and started a new trip, the brakes would go back to normal. However, on 11/10/15, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor when I tried to stop at 15-20mph. This was on a busy city street, and I had to drive up on the median to avoid hitting the car in front of me. I took it to sears and was told there was no problem with the brakes; however, they bled the brake line, changed the brake fluid. Then, I took it to the Mazda dealer and was told there was no problem with the brakes, but that the fluid needed to be changed. When I took it to carmax, they told me it was the master cylinder, and they replaced it along with the front ABS tone rings. On 11/25/15, two days after getting my car back from the carmax mechanics, the brake pedal was again feeling like it was going farther down than necessary, and then it went to the floor again. That time, I was approaching a stop sign in a residential neighborhood, so it was at a low speed. The car is now back at carmax, and they have called to say that they cannot find any problem. The scariest things about this (besides the obvious fear that my car will cause an accident) are: 1) the random nature of these brake problems; 2) the fact that the brake pedal goes back to normal after one of these events; 3) mechanics were not spotting a problem with my brakes; and 4) when a problem was specified and supposedly fixed, the brakes still went out.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. While driving 35 mph and attempting to decelerate, the brake pedal failed to respond and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

May 012015

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Tribute. While driving 55 mph, the brake pedal extended to the floorboard when depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 143,000. The VIN was invalid.

- Dodson, LA, USA

Aug 102009

Tribute 4-cyl

This is the third time in 5 years that we have had to replace the ABS tone ring because it has broken/crumbled and caused our brakes to go out while driving! there seems to be some serious issues with the quality of this product?? I fear for my life at all times, never knowing when its going to decide to break again.

- Fishers, IN, USA