2004 Mercury Grand Marquis steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 152014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The left hand (driver side) heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold has completely rusted at the bolting points causing the cover to dislodge and drag against the steering shaft. Several times while turning at intersections, especially when making left turns, the steering would temporarily lock up for a few seconds making turning extremely hazardous. Once I almost struck another vehicle due to the steering being locked while turning. I initially suspected low power steering fluid but fluid checked correct and pump seems to be working fine. I did not notice the rusted cover pinned between the steering shaft and manifold until I removed the engine cover and air intake tubing to access the spark plugs. I removed the rusted shield and the car turns just fine now. I have the rusted shield available for inspection if needed. Thanks

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Oct 062014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I went to drive my car from my home parking space and when tried to turn the wheel it wouldn't turn. I tried again and got the steering wheel to turn some amount but it was pretty hard to do. As I turned the wheel a little more it eased up a bit and then became hard again. Part of turning the wheel is quite hard and then part is a little more normal. The steering seems very bad and hard to control. I had no previous problems and have not sufferd any damage from driving. I was afraid something was lodged in the engine compartment so I checked and could see nothing out of the ordinary. I parked the car and drove my other car for the week. Something is physically wrong with the car steering and I feel it is unsafe to drive on any road. I'm afraid it will break while driving. The car is not driven very much and is in pretty nice shape.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Sep 172014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering shaft was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 194,000.

- Bay City , MI, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving along and started to turn up a street and it took 2 lane's because the steering calm. Froze up and hard to turn. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me all the 2004 Ford grand M. have the same prob.. however, they have not been recalled only the 2005 - 2011. I had it fixed because I need my car. Its the lower steering shaft. By the way the car only has 33890 mile's. I only drive it to church on Sunday's and to the food store once a week so it sits a lot, however not the prob. From sitting, just crappie part's.

- Marshall, IL, USA

Jul 212014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

After being idle for approximately one week, and driving the car from the driveway, the steering wheel became very loose as if the steering wheel was going to fall off. There is a clicking noise made as you turned the steering wheel and the wheels do turn on the car. We had the car towed to a Ford dealership to have the car inspected and possibly repaired. We do live in a snowbelt area with lots of salt on the roads. I did notice that Ford issued a recall for the same model car for years 2005 through 2011 and wonder if this is a similar problem those cars suffered but was not noticed in the previous year(s).

- Lake George, NY, USA

Jul 022013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving various speeds, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The dealer stated that the power steering was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified, but refused to fix the problem. The failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 8/22/14

- West Wareham, MA, USA

Jul 102014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

My 2004 Grand Marquis is steering like a tank. I took it to my mechanic and he informed me that the lower immediate shaft was corroded and that there was a recall 13S08 by Ford for this steering problem and that I should take my car to a Ford dealer. When I got home I checked to see if the recall was legit. The recall stated that only 2005 thru 2011 cars were affected. I called Ford customer service to see if my 2004 with the same problem could be covered by this recall and they said that they could do nothing!

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Mar 142011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Vehicle hard to steer. Had to replace lower steering shaft.

- Brook Park, OH, USA

Feb 042011

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Steering was tight and as I turned the wheel, the steering became loose. I took the vehicle to my mechanic and he told me that the steering shaft assembly had to be replaced because of rust. He also told me that I was close to having a full steering collapse. I now know that this was a recall item on the 2005 - 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis. Why wasn't the 2004 vehicle included?

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Apr 142014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving down an interstate freeway at 65mph and came to a curve, the steering was very tight and was unable to keep the car in my lane. Luckily there was no one next to me at the time. From that time on the steering kept getting tighter and tighter. I had to use bodily force to physically turn the steering wheel. I took the car to an auto repair shop and the issue was diagnosed as a faulty steering shaft joints. I had to have the lower steering shaft replaced. I was informed that 2005- 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis were recalled for this issue. As of writing this 2004 Grand Marquis are not included. This is a major safety issue and should be looked into further. I believe Ford/Mercury should be responsible for the cost of this repair.

- Isanti, MN, USA

May 162014

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the steering wheel seized and caused the vehicle to become difficult to control. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Nahant, MA, USA

Sep 132013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle would sway from side to side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the lower steering shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000. The current mileage was 131,000...updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated this vehicle's model year was not included in the recall. Updated 08/20/2014

- Utica, NY, USA

Aug 042008

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The occupants (male driver, female passenger) were driving during daylight hours back home from an appointment. As the vehicle approached a curve the driver was unable to turn the steering wheel to any extent to hold his lane in the curve. The vehicle crashed through a guard rail and came to rest in a field. The driver sustained bumps & bruises. The passenger sustained a broken sternum and back pain. The car was a complete loss (totaled) as determined by the insurance company. When the recent GM recall occurred I checked the internet regarding Ford/Mercury products. Mercury had a recall for 2005-2011 vehicles for faulty steering columns that could lead to accidents. However, there were multiple reports from 2004 owners with the same issues. Therefore, I didn't to submit this incident to the ntsb.

- Appling, GA, USA

Mar 212014

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the steering wheel had become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the lower intermediate shaft was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 06/24/14 MA the consumer stated there was a recall issued for 2005 model year and beyond vehicles but excluded 2004 vehicles with same failure. Updated 06/26/2014

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel became hard to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the steering column holster had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,232 and the current mileage was 128,000. Updated 06/10/14 MA the steering shaft was replaced. Updated 07/03/14

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jan 012012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning and became difficult to turn without force. The contact had to use extreme bodliy force to complete any turns. The failure was recurring. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the steering shaft and bearings were corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 124,000.

- Wyoming , MI, USA

Dec 042013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The power steering did not feel right to me so I took it to triangle service center, 177 boston rd, chelmsford. They inspected the power steering system and the intermediate (lower) shaft was binding and needed replacement. However, because of the Ford recall for 2005-2011 Ford vehicles, I can not get parts. I called Ford and went to the drum hill dealership in lowell but since the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis are not in the recall, I have no recourse. This is the same part that NHTSA investigated and called for a recall on the 2005-2011 Ford vehicles. I believe the 2004 vehicles should be included in the recall as it is the same part in the power steering shaft that has failed in the 2004 that fails in the 2005-2011 models.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

May 062013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The vehicle was being hard to steer and turn - told it to the dealer and was declared unsafe to be on road. Had to get the steering column changed to the turn of $679 - still have defective part and receipt for the work that was done.

- Windsor, CT, USA

May 012013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and attempting to change lanes, the steering wheel seized then released without warning. The contact also mentioned that it was very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 152013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that there was a constant movement in the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to locate the problem. There was a voluntary recall issued by the manufacturer pertaining to the lower and upper intermediate steering shaft for the Grand Marquis model years 2005-2011 but not the 2004 model year. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Harmony, PA, USA