CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2.1

2008 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 282016

Mariner

While my college age daughter was driving to campus on Sunday 8/28/16, came to stop and when she tried to accelerate, RPM began to race erratically and car would barely accelerate. Wrench light on the dash board is now illuminated.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Mar 202016

Mariner

Speed shift forced on 2nd and 4th, the vehicle has only 77000 miles and transmission is bad, contacted the dealer about the problem and no action taken, they said the vehicle is not on a recall campaign and owner needed to do repair and if the campaign started on this problem in the future they will reimburse the repair amount, I need the vehicle on a daily basis and now I'm stock with the repairs cost of 1500 plus labor. I need to add this vehicle to the recall as shown here: Report receipt date: Sep 29, 2015 NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 component(s): Power train the vehicle was in motion when it happened, speed was reduced and wrench light came on the dashboard

- Union City, NJ, USA

Jan 222016

Mariner

Warning lights come on and loss of power, informs driver to safely pull over. To road. Towed vehicle to Ford dealer and was told only option was to replace with new transmission and that Ford would not allow to repair the transmission, only replace with new. Vehicle has 60K miles and is well maintained. Other transmission mechanics have been told that Ford will not sell them parts to repair the cvts and only a Ford dealer is authorized and can get the replacement parts. This is not right, there is something wrong with the cvt and Ford needs to own up this problem. A $9,200 repair should not be borne by the consumer. I can see over the internet that this is an on-going problem with other consumers.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jan 222016

Mariner

Warning lights come on when driving telling driver to safely pull over to road. Towed to Ford dealer, was told to replace with new transmission. Vehicle has 60K miles and well maintained. Other mechanics were told Ford would not sell them parts for repair and only Ford could work on them. This is not right, there is something wrong with the cvt and Ford needs to own up. A $9,200 repair should not be borne by the consumer.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jan 132016

Mariner

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate at a normal pace. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

May 152015

Mariner

I was driving at a speed of 40 miles an hour, stopped at stop light, as I proceeded on the green light, the car accelerated and then jolted. Suddenly, the wrench icon appeared on the dashboard. From that point the car seemed to idle, the car would rev RPM's and would not shift automatically to the next gear. I had to start in 2nd and shift into drive. Have had the sensors replaced, tranny fluid flushed and replaced and gasket seal and pan replaced. Still not repaired.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Nov 092015

Mariner

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced an issue with shifting the second and fourth gears. The transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the servo routing cover and servo ring were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Prior to this failure, the steering column was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 122,834.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 092015

Mariner

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. While driving 20 mph, the power train light remained illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 062015

Mariner

Well I was at a red light and then the light turned green I pressed the gas pedal and started to go then my RPM started to go up and my Mercury Mariner did not want to go no more so I coasted to the slow lane I rev my engine while I was still drive about about 1 min in went back into gear so started to drive again the RPM went back up and then I coasted to a stop on a busy highway I immediately started to get my family out to safety so I went back to my Mercury Mariner it was in park and still running and I noticed a yellow wrench on the dash board so I put it in drive it did not move then for five min trying to get it to move it went into gear but just enough to get off the highway on to a back street so I turned my Mercury Mariner off so about a half hour went by I started it up and I notice the yellow wrench was off so then it went right into gear but about in one min it did the same thing so I called a family member and then I got it towed there so I let it sit for an hour then I started it up and it went right into gear and about one min later I had no gears but I let it run and it will go in and out of gear so now it sits at my family's house.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 162015

Mariner

I was driving at a speed of 40 miles an hour, stopped at stop light, as I proceeded on the green light, the car accelerated and then jolted. Suddenly, the wrench icon appeared on the dashboard. From that point the car seemed to idle, then accelerate with force.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Mariner 6-cyl

I had stopped by my apartment complex office to pick up a package. I started the motor and began to back out. I then put it in drive and the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I tried to drive it slowly towards my apartment to park it. I restarted the car. Once I did this, the steering was behaving normally except when idling there was a thunking vibration to where the steering wheel was moving. I had remembered I received a recall notice which was for power steering. The technician looked up the VIN # and yes it was a recall item. I took it in yesterday and they are currently replacing the part. After doing some research, I have found that a lot of the vibration I have felt recently can be contributed to the issue with the power steering unit. Thankfully I was near home. I have made several trips between Washington and northern California. In addition, I have had a problem in the mornings especially in the colder months where I am at a stop light or stop sign and step on the gas, the motor will rev up but I don't move, then a sudden kick in of the transmission. This is scary when trying to turn into traffic.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 072014

Mariner 6-cyl

My 08' Mercury Mariner has only 46,000 miles on it and now needs a new transmission. When I got into my car and tried to put it in reverse, the car would not move backwards. It worked in drive, but I had to push my car in order to turn it around and drive to a repair shop. I was then informed that I would need a new transmission that would cost around $3600 for my car including the part and labor. I have never been in an accident and have had no previous issues with my car involving the transmission. I believe that it is unbelievable that a car with such few miles on it should need a new transmission. When I called Ford customer service they stated that they would not help me with any of these costs because there was no recall for this on my vehicle. I believe that this is an issue with this particular vehicle make and model after some research and was told by the mechanic shop that they had seen this problem many times before.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Dec 052013

Mariner

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission slipped and caused the vehicle to suddenly decelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was damaged due to defective ball bearings. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Compton, KY, USA

Mar 152014

Mariner

Loaned the car to parents to take two 3 year olds to disney world. While on the interstate at cruising speed, car started to rapidly decelerate. Total transmission failure with no warning or previous incidents. Had to have the car towed to the Ford dealership in paducah, ky. Ford confirmed failure. Incident left my son, niece, and parents stranded on the side of the road. Not safe!

- Peoria, IL, USA

Mar 122014

Mariner 6-cyl

Yesterday, my wrench light came on with my 2008 Mercury Mariner. I did some research this morning and found out that there was a recall on the parts. I called a local Ford dealership and I was advised that due to the 5 year warranty expiring along with being above $60,000, I would have to come out of pocket to pay for a defected part on my truck. I am filing a complaint due to I should have been advised that there was an issue with the power train or I should have been notified to bring my truck in immediately to get this issue resolved. In which I was not notified at all. I should not be forced to pay to get my car fixed on a defected part that was sold with my car.(the power train).

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Jan 292014

Mariner

A couple days ago I started my car as usual before going to work to let it warm due to the weather. As I started backing out of my drive I realized my steering wheel isn't moving like it's supposed to. I stopped and turned the car off and then back on, then it was fine. As I'm driving and getting ready to switch lanes on the highway it does it again so I pull on the shoulder and get out the car to check under the hood, a man pulls over to help me seeing as I'm a woman on the side of the road and in my military uniform. He says it could be because of the weather but it should be fine. Now after 2 or 3 days the steering wheel shakes and vibrates and a rattling noise occurs at low speed and certain positions when the wheel is turned, or even at a standstill position. It has recurred several times since the first time and always when the car starts. It can be stopped by turning off the ignition and restarting the car. Also a wrench shows up in the message center, as I read my manual come to find out that's for the transmission. I've read a lot of the comments and complaints and have to wonder, will it take a death because of this for Ford to realize we're not making this up and it's not due to poor or lack of maintenance.

- South Elgin, IL, USA

Dec 022013

Mariner 4-cyl

Truck shows"wrench" light sometimes but not always; trucks drives as if it is in the wrong gear or as if you are trying to drive with your foot on the brake at the same time. Vehicle is an automatic but is driving like a stick-shift that needs to go into the next gear but struggling & unable to do so.

- Lathrup Village, MI, USA

Nov 012013

Mariner 6-cyl

Vehicle began having shifting issues. First gear failed to catch when taking off from a stop. Checked transmission fluid and found fluid was low. Added fluid. Problem returned 1 to 2 weeks later. Checked transmission fluid and found that fluid was low again. Added fluid. I looked around under the hood and observed transmission fluid leaking at the front passenger side of engine compartment. Fluid appears to be leaking from the transmission cooler. After research, it seems this problem is quite common with this model year. This issue, left unfixed, will surely cause transmission failure and/or a potentially catastrophic accident resulting in injury or death.

- Morris, GA, USA

Apr 102013

Mariner 6-cyl

I was pulling into my work parking lot when the transmission suddenly stopped engaging. I had to push the vehicle into a space. Mechanic confirms I need a new transmission. I discovered that there is a known issue with the transmission of this vehicle, I called Mercury/Ford and had to reference the case # myself for them to find it. The customer service representative confirmed that my vehicle met the specific requirements for the customer satisfaction program (csp: 09B10) - all the way down to a specific manufacturing plant up to a specific month and date but because they stopped honoring those in 2011 I am not eligible. I am the 2nd owner of this vehicle and had no way to know this was a hazard, not was the dealer aware as Ford/Mercury had apparently removed the csp number from the files once it expired. This is proven by the fact that Ford/Mercury's own representative didn't' see it linked to my vehicle, I had to mention it specifically and then she confirmed that it did apply to my vehicle and was unassociated with it at expiration. As such, there is no way to know whether this was addressed or even an issue. My concern is had it been 20 minutes earlier that the transmission went out, my 3 1/2 year old daughter and I would have been going highway speeds on a 6 lane highway!! very dangerous! Ford/Mercury should have to recall this item, which is clearly a known manufacturing issue. I should not have to pay $2000 to fix something that they did incorrectly from the first and poses a great safety risk!

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 252013

Mariner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that the transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the intermediate band, pump and the shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 42,000.

- Millville, NJ, USA