2010 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Mariner:

2010 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 212013

Mariner 4-cyl

Vehicle loosing power and the check engine light comes on, U will have to shut vehicle off and re crank it.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Aug 182013

Mariner 6-cyl

I was leaving a soccer game and the car went to about 40 mps and the wrench light came on and the pedal went limp. I pulled over and stopped the car and the car started shaking like it was out of time. I put it in part and shut off the car when I turned the car back on the light was off. I was able to drive 20 miles back and forth and then it did the same thing again. I have taken it to run the codes and there were none. Today 8/31/13 it did the same thing again and now finally the engine light came on. Codes were ran at autozone and P1212 throttle body sensor finally showed up. I had already checked the web the first time that it did it after talking with a mechanic that works at Ford and he told me what it was and that there was no recall. I am very upset. I just purchased this car less than three months ago!!! single mom someone help!!!

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Aug 022013

Mariner

On several occasions the vehicle would suddenly loose power from highway speeds and limp to the side of the road. A light would come on that looked like a wrench. Once the vehicle was stopped and restarted I was able to move on normally until the next episode which began to come more frequently. After the first incident I immediately went to my Ford dealer and spoke to someone in service who told me they could hook the car up to the computer but since the wrench light went out it would most likely show nothing and I would have to pay $100 for this service. I have an extended warranty with a $100 deductible that was going to run out in 400 miles. I have the vehicle in right now and they just called and told me the throttle body needs to be replaced and it is not covered under the extended warranty and will cost me over $500.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Jul 102013

Mariner 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled 3 times and had no throttle response. Turn key off and restart vehicle to regain throttle response. Wrench light and engine light came on. Mechanic retrieved memory codes P2111 and P2112. Performed electronic throttle body test with ids. Throttle body failed and has a fault. Mechanic replaced throttle body

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 112013

Mariner 6-cyl

While driving on several occasions the vehicle unexpectedly stalls with no prior warning. The third time I was traveling at approximately 60 mph on the parkway. I have a second 2010 Mariner which had exactly the same problem in August 2013. Both were repaired by the dealer by replacing a defective throttle body.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Aug 252013

Mariner 4-cyl

While driving on three separate occasions the vehicle unexpectedly stalls with no prior warning. The third time I was traveling at approximately 60 mph on the parkway. A dangerous condition to say the least. I have a second 2010 Mariner which had exactly the same problem in January 2013. Both were repaired by the dealer by replacing a defective throttle body.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jul 292013

Mariner 6-cyl

I had just gotten back from a long trip, and was stopped at a red light - I barely accelerated once it turned green, and the car lost complete and total power, in the middle of the intersection. A wrench light came on. No throttle was working as much as I pressed down. The car kept snail pacing until I got to an empty parking lot where I turned the vehicle off. I turned it back on and it revved itself, so I turned it back off. Turned it back on and all of a sudden it worked again. I took it to the dealer who claimed it was the "electronic throttle body" failing and charged me $98 for the diagnostic. I decided for a second opinion, and they took everything apart to see if it was something else since the car is only 3 years old and only has 30,000 miles on it. After much testing they concluded it was in fact the "electronic throttle body, " and the repair cost me $595. Before this happened, 2 or 3 days prior, I felt the car was losing power and it was hard to get it to go at its V6 potential. Car still hesitates and feels like the engine jumps out when it stops and moves again... sure enough my engine mounts now need replacing, and that's anywhere between $350-$500. Another recall perhaps? it's been doing this since day 1, and my warranty ended about 6 months ago. Go figure... just when 3 years was up! sigh

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 202013

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder and restarted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Princeton, TX, USA

Aug 112013

Mariner

Driving at approx 40 mph car engine reacts abnormally and "wrench" warning light appears and car "stalls" out and, although fully operational will not drive. Turn the car off and back on and the engine eventually will turn over but again repeats the same issue of "stalling" out. After having the car towed, the diagnosis is a defective "throttle-body".

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jul 252013

Mariner 6-cyl

My husband was driving the car at 65 mph on the highway and the care went limp and would not accelerate. He had to pull over to the side and restart the car. This happened to him 3 times and me one time. I took it to a dealership and it is the throttle body. You have received several complaints and there is an ongoing investigation. In addition, the dealership was going to overcharge me for the repair. Please do everything in your power to get Ford to recall this party and reimburse the customer before there is a fatality.

- Kennesaw, IL, USA

Jul 212013

Mariner

I have no throttle response, engine RPM drop back to an idle, engine runs rough and stalls. No power. Moving to the side of the road, turn engine off and restart and will runs fine, but today this problem recurred every 4 miles. I was only 22 miles from home but that is a lot of stopping along side of the road.

- New London, OH, USA

Jul 242013

Mariner

My 2010 Mercury Mariner went into limp mode and would not respond to throttle inputs. I researched this issue and learned that this problem appears to be related to a faulty throttle body or electronic control panel for the throttle body. This an extremely dangerous condition as it appears at random without warning. I believe this must be a defect that has been known to Ford for some time and needs to be the subject of a recall.

- West Creek, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

Mariner 6-cyl

Was driving on freeway at about 70-75 mph and hesitation occurred and speed uncontrollably decreased. I went to right lane (had been in middle lane) and stopped on the shoulder of the nearest exit lane. Luckily it was very close. I was afraid that I would lose control of steering also. This is 3rd time this happened, so took to dealership and they replaced throttle body assm. For close to $500. Technician said I should be happy now, the new part had been re-designed. I'd be alot happier if Ford had taken responsibility earlier when they realized it needed to be redesigned. The previous occurrence I was in left lane at very busy time on xpressway and had to pull onto the left hand shoulder....very close to being hit.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 202013

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a loss of engine power. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally until the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the throttle body assembly would need to be replaced however, the part was on back order and the vehicle would be repaired when the part became available. The manufacturer had not been notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Jul 182013

Mariner

Description was mad with complaint no. 10525937 I had entered the wrong type vehicle.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 182013

Mariner

My daughter was traveling in Louisiana on business, when for no reason the SUV stopped on the interstate she phoned me in tears on the issue, she was stranded on the interstate for a short while. She got it started again after a few minutes. She drove for another few miles and it did it again. She finally made it to a dealer. The dealer ran a test that cost her 125 dollars only to tell her she had a bad electronic throttle body assembly. They informed her that the part was not available and would be days maybe weeks before they could get one. She than returned to her place of stay, that took about an hour because she could take the interstate and had to stop every few miles to restart the engine. What a huge inconvenience and frightened she would be rear ended. I hope a resolution is in the works for this safety issue.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 212013

Mariner

I was driving at about 25 mph when the car suddenly lurched forward, then began rapidly decelerating. I had to get off the road and coast to a stop. I turned the car off then restarted it and everything seemed fine, but the problem happened again later that day and several more times in the coming weeks. It has happened at various speeds and under diverse conditions. It is intermittent and unpredictable. After nearly causing an accident on the interstate due to this occurrence I am now limited to surface streets and only when I have no other option but to drive my car. After doing some reading it seems that this is a known defect with the throttle body and I worry that even if I pay out of pocket to have it repaired I will only be buying another part with the same defect. My hope is that Ford will issue a recall of the vehicles for which this is a known issue!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 172013

Mariner 6-cyl

Stalling. After driving 60 miles, some at freeway speeds, we stopped at a crossroad to cross. Upon crossing it ran rough and stalled just as we crossed the street. Waited two minutes, restarted and drove rest of way home with no problem. Posted speed on road we crossed is 55 mph. Had it stalled in front of traffic there could have been an accident. We had our two grandchildren in the back seat. This is the 2nd time in 5 weeks. Had the fuel pump and spark plugs changed the first time. Ran fine until yesterday. No check engine light is coming on. Today I ordered an throttle body.

- Canton, MI, USA

Apr 172013

Mariner 6-cyl

The engine suddenly went from 70 mph to limp mode at about 900 RPM's or so. I was able to get to the shoulder and turn the engine off. I restarted the engine, and it worked normally allowing me to accelerate and leave the expressway. I was not sure what had happened so I did not think anything of it. This has happened four more times since. I thought at first that I had bad gasoline because the engine light went on for the second incident and the car was low on gas. I limped to a gas station that time and filled the tank. After restarting the car everything worked normally, and the engine light turned off. In the subsequent incidents, I did not notice the engine light going on. I just turn off the engine and restarted the car. This is very dangerous to lose power at 70 miles per hour. In one case I had just past a truck on a two lane highway. I noticed that this seems to fall under your NHTSA action #:PE13003.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jun 222013

Mariner 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle shook violently and stalled. Also, the contact stated that the wrench warning icon and the check engine warning light were illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated the parts needed to repair the failure were unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Opelika, AL, USA