2010 Mercury Milan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Aug 222013

Milan 4-cyl

I was on my way to work and got on the freeway and as I accelerated to the flow of traffic, the car started splutting and I was in the middle lane with a truck close behind me and cars on each side. The speed started to decrease as I pushed on the gas petal with nothing happening. It was as though it ran out of gas and the console lights came on. I panic and tried to work my way to the side of the road. I was able to get over after the truck barely missed pitting me and coasted til the car slowed down and turned the car off and tried to start it again, it started because I knew that it wasn't out of gas, I had a full tank. There was no check engine light on at that time either. I preceded to get back on the freeway and got up to 50 mph and went to the nearest exit and my car repeated the same thing, this time with a jerking motion..that when the check engine light came on. I moved the car to a safer area and called to get it towed. It was place on the a machine that read P2111 and P2112. The auto shop informed me that it was the throttle body.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 152013

Milan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred on separate occasions. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 10/29/13 the consumer stated the vehicle would unexpectedly stall and showed signs of throttle body failure. All the symptoms he experienced were consistent with NHTSA number PE13003. Updated 11/12/13

- Chicago , IL, USA

Sep 102013

Milan 4-cyl

I was driving on the northway preparing to get in the right lane to exit and I lost all speed, no acceleration was possible but I still had radio/A/C, etc. I was able to get over and stop the car and when I put it in park it "sputtered" until I shut the engine off entirely. I waited a few moments and turned the engine back on and it started fine and then drove fine the rest of my drive. When I got back to work I researched this problem online and was surprised at the number of complaints for the same issue. Everyone had taken their car to a dealership or mechanic and could not figure it out. No warning lights came on in the dash. Finally after reading so many of the same complaints one car owner stated that a diagnosis resulted in code P2111 (faulty throttle body). I'm concerned about driving this car and having it happen again. I drive on a fast 3 lane highway about 20 miles each way to work and it's not always very easy to get over to safety. After seeing this has been investigated in another state I am hopeful it results in a recall so this problem can be properly addressed and fixed. Please help!

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Sep 082013

Milan 4-cyl

This has happened to me many times over the last month at least 12 times. This occurs at various speeds, the car will stall or nearly stall. I am unable to accelerate. I have to coast to a safe location turn the key off put the car in park and restart the car. Luckily the car has restarted everytime. The wrench warning light comes on after the near stall, but goes off after I restart the car. When I come to the stop the engine seems to be trying to run but has no power and the idle is very rough. I went to the dealer and they said it sounds like the throttle body. This seems to be a know problem but I don't see a recall on it? when it goes into the near stall I have no acceleration and puts me in a very dangerous position as I try to jockey to a safe location with no power.

- Murphysboro, IL, USA

Aug 302013

Milan

On at least 4 separate occasions, we were driving (two times going about 60 mph, the other two times about 30 mph) and the engine seemed to seize up or would lose acceleration. The wrench light comes on each time and we are not able to accelerate. We had to coast to the side of the road (extremely dangerous on busy highways to get over to the side of the road with no power). Once to the side of the road, we turned the car off and waited a couple of minutes. Once we turned the car back on, it seemed to work properly again. We took the car to a Ford dealership to have them look at it. The error code did not register so did not know what to fix.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Aug 262013

Milan 4-cyl

Driving a steady 70 mph on the interstate. Car speed started to drop and there was no response from the accelerator. Coasted the car to the shoulder. Engine remained running between 800 to 1500 RPM and surging. No response to accelerator input. Car would lurch forward. Wrench light came on. Extremely dangerous situation. Shut engine off and restarted. Condition did not improve. Was able to move the car off the interstate at less than 5 mph. Car was surging and lurching the entire time. Stopped the engine again. Waited about 10 minutes and restarted the engine. Car appears to have returned to normal operation. There are numerous complaints about this very dangerous condition.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Aug 202013

Milan 4-cyl

I was driving with the cruise control set at 60mph and the car popped and lost speed and the car would barely stay running. I pulled off the road ( during rush hour) and shut the car off. I re-started the car and it ran correctly.

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 082013

Milan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that she attempted to accelerate but the vehicle would not respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Greensboro, GA, USA

Aug 122013

Milan 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway at 55mph the orange wrench symbol lit up on the dashboard and the car started to lose power. The engine kept running, but there was no response when I pushed on the gas pedal. I was able to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off for 5 minutes and then restarted it and the power returned enough to get me to a Ford dealer.

- Victoria, MN, USA

Jul 302013

Milan 6-cyl

Driving on freeway at 70 miles per hour. Car lost power, the wrench symbol lit up on the dash, however ignition did not turn off. I shut off the ignition and when I restarted the car the wrench symbol was not lit up any more and the car was normal again. This has happened again 2 days ago.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Milan

My car has stopped numerous time in the middle of a busy expressway and has almost resulted in a accident. I had two small children in my vehicle at the time, my car continues to stop many times and I attempted to get the problem solved but I cannot since there is a severe back order on Mercury Milan throttle body. Therefore I am forced to drive in unsafe conditions because of a mass problem that is obviously going on with Ford/Mercury vehicles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Milan 6-cyl

While driving at approximately 58 mph on 7/20/13 the wrench light came on, the car lost power. The car was still running but there was no reaction in power when pushing on gas pedal. Pulled the car over, put in park, it was still running, with a slight shake, turned car off waited several minutes before starting. When started the car ran fine and the light was off. Two days later, 7/22/13, this happened again while I was making a turn from a stop sign. Same thing pulled over, restarted, light was off, drove fine. Few days later, 7/25/13, car went in for oil change and tire rotation and I had them see what they could find out. Up until this point the car has ran fine, no issues, and I love the car. I was informed that it was a throttle body issue and is on back order for one-two months. I then drive the car with no issues for several days. Once again on 7/30/13 the same thing happens this time at about 35 mph, is fine once started back up. Same thing on 8/1/13. On 8/4/13 I was on my way home going approximately 55 mph and this happens, I was able to get off to the side of the road quick enough that it didn't interfere with the traffic behind me. I got down the road and was trying to turn onto my road and this happens again and I am now in middle of lane for oncoming traffic, I manage to get it going and finish turn just for it to happen again and I was almost rear ended by person turning onto road. I then let the car sit for several hours before I had to run an errand, I was only able to make it three houses down before this happened again. This is an extreme safety issue, I am luck in that I live in a rural area, but there is enough traffic or when going to work, that this could cause a bad accident causing injury not only to myself or another driver but to the children in my car.

- Brocton, NY, USA

Jul 262013

Milan 6-cyl

On 7/26 the car lost all engine power on the highway and the wrench light appeared. After coasting to the side of the road, the car shakes until put into park. I shut the car off, wait a few seconds, restart and the wrench disappears as well as the shaking. I am able to continue as if nothing happened. Three more times it happens that day. A few days go by without incident. On 7/31 it occurs again three times following the same travel route as the days before, but in a 35mph zone instead. On 8/2 I take the car to a mechanic who diagnoses it as P2111 (faulty throttle body) and says he can't get the part due to a national back order. My faulty part is 9L8E-9F991-bc and I have called and looked online at several Ford dealers and am also told the part is on national back order with no firm eta. The car is not drivable until this is fixed.

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Milan 6-cyl

Driving down busy by pass @ about 65 mph. Car started to stall out. Car behind me almost hit me from behind because of this. Had car checked out, it was the throttle body sensor. Something about not opening and/or closing properly.....had a diagnostics done: Code P2111......

- Damascus, GA, USA

May 062013

Milan

Driving and the engine light comes on and the car begins to loose power. Then the car looses the ability to control it and appears to not have any gas going to it and the wrench on the dash board appears and the power steering goes out. The car appears to not be getting any gas. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the car. After it sits for a few minutes it will start again. Sometimes it starts up and doesn't happen for awhile. Other times it will happen again in a few minutes. It can happen at any speed like 50 mph or at anytime.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 282013

Milan

I was driving my family home in our hybrid Milan on a busy street and the engine light for power train failure (a wrench) came on, simultaneously with total loss of acceleration. I immediately put on my blinker to move out of the way and to a safe place to stop. I was in the left lane and had to move across several lanes to get away from traffic confused by my sudden and apparently unreasonable deceleration. I pulled over into a side street and stopped the car, looked up the light meaning in the card manual and waited a few minutes. I restarted the car and drove it around a small neighborhood successfully before I would attempt taking it home with my young daughter in the car. We took a tentative drive home with the emergency lights flashing, hoping it would not happen again, as there was no way to go home without traffic in the Washington DC area. Coming to this site and seeing all the complaints I am wondering if we have to have fatalities before this is investigated and recalled. I drive on highways daily and my 7 year old's life is too important for this uncertainty. Until now, I just loved my car. Now it is scary as I see this is common, unpredictable and clearly dangerous.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jul 212013

Milan 6-cyl

After coming online and one search led me here and I saw the exact same problem from so many other Milan owners, I was alarmed. I bought it couple months ago, less than 30K miles... I'm driving and accelerating stopped working, my car slowed down, I clicked the hazards on real quick and drifted as far over as I could. Police had to put flares out until tow truck came. Tow truck got there and after we made it to Ford-Mercury, the car started and "acted" just fine. The tow driver suggested it had been bad gas and may need injection cleaner. I decided to drive it home after adding hi-test gas and inj cleaner, and it was all good. Until today.(3 days later). I stopped at a traffic light and car idled down til it cut off. The mpg led monitor started dropping (just like it did first time) it went from getting 15 mpg to 5 mpg in the matter of 2 minutes while just idling. As if the gas was dumping thru lines. Also the idle became so erratic it would go up then drop down, I made it where I needed but left the car, and took spouses car. I took a video of the dash the first time it happened it shows orange wrench light came on, the mpg dropped from 13mpg to 2.2mpg and the idle RPM would go up and down, no matter whether you pushed gas or not. Gas pedal still felt normal under foot, so not the pedal. Car still ran, just wouldn't go anywhere, (had dog and needed ac until tow came) I hope there's a fix for this. From what I'm seeing, even the dealer mechanics can't diagnose the issue. Will be checking here to see if any new help or advice is available.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 192013

Milan 6-cyl

Multiple times & variations, but always w/the same result. At any given moment, wrench light would come on & vehicle would lose all acceleration ability while it surged/idled very roughly. Each time, I pulled vehicle off road to the best of my ability, put it in park (would then idle rough, but surge less). Turned vehicle off, waited 5-10min, restarted & vehicle would function close to normally (minimal small surges while driving). While veh was malfunctioning, I could hold gasoline pedal to the floor w/no response. Could not manually shift (I have an automatic shiftable) past 2nd gear & veh would not progress forward - except if the engine surged. This problem happened more, with less time between failings as the day progressed until I could finally get to a populated area/small town. It is also worth mentioning, both mechanics that checked my vehicle for me could not find any "history" in my codes. However, the first Ford dealership was able to do a special check that found a "throttle body failure". they cleaned the throttle body (parts are back ordered till 9/24/13) & sent me on my way hoping that would fix the problem. It did not, so I stopped at the very next town after it happened again & left my Mercury Milan with a Ford dealership. Each time this happened it was really quite scary as traffic around me had no idea I was about to have catastrophic failure. Thankfully all drivers involved were quick enough to avoid rear ending me.

- Hermantown, MN, USA

Jul 192013

Milan 4-cyl

While driving on expressway the throttle started dropping down to idle speed and the accelerator stopped working and the power steering was gone only manual steering left. The vehicle lost power and started coasting. Pulled over and stopped shut off the engine restarted and the car started up and ran normally for 10 miles than it did it again.

- Parchment, MI, USA

Jul 092013

Milan

I was driving to work when my 2010 Mercury Milan lost power. First the engine began missing and running rough, and then the engine stalled and the RPM dropped to idle speed (idling rough). The engine would not respond to the accelerator pedal. No throttle was present. The engine continued to idle (but it was a rough idle). The wrench light on the dashboard came on. I steered the car to the shoulder and turned the ignition off. After waiting a minute or so, I restarted the engine, and it started almost normally (it took a few more cranks of the starting motor for the engine to start). Then I drove to work and aside for seeming to miss from time to time, the engine ran normally. There was no wrench light visible on the dashboard. However, that afternoon, on the way home from work, the problem happened again as described above. The engine seemed to be running normally, then started missing, and stalled. The ┐┐wrench light┐Ł came on. I pulled off the road, turned the engine off, waited a few minutes, and then re-started the engine. There was no ┐┐wrench light┐Ł and the engine appeared to run normally. This series of events happened three more times before I was able to get the car home and park it in the driveway. This issue happened on July 9, 2013. I took the car to the dealership and was told that the electronic throttle body had malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. Losing power as described above while driving in traffic is extremely dangerous.

- Florence, SC, USA