2010 Mercury Milan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Oct 222013

Milan

At highway speeds the vehicle would have a total loss of power forcing a pull over and shutting car down waiting and restarting. The maintenance symbol(wrench) would go away and car will run smooth till next occurrence. Found out that there have been electronic throttle body failures resulting in engine stall and or surge while driving. These Ford vehicles are also having multiple led tail light failures due to defect. $400 a piece for whole lens is only way to replace defective lamp.

- North Grafton, MA, USA

Jul 102013

Milan 6-cyl

I was traveling at a high rate of speed (70mph) when my engine began to "stall out" on me causing a rapid deceleration. I would say it stalled, but it did not 100% cutout, rather it went into the lowest limp mode on the engine. Luckily, since it was a busy time of night (approximately 6pm), I was in the right hand land and was able to pull off before being rear ended...though it would almost inevitably happened had I been in any other lane. I was near an exit and coasted slowly in the limp mode and made it to a parking lot, where I turned off my car and popped the hood to examine the issue further. The oil was within range and belts were ok. Just as I was finishing the coasting, I saw the "wrench" light illuminate. After checking the engine, I was able to re-start my car and drive home without incident. I looked up the issue online & found many others with the same issue. I ordered oem replacement parts that took about a week to arrive. Over the course of that week, the issue occurred several more times and happened more and more frequently. I avoided highways altogether for safety concerns. I contacted Ford who told me I could have it repaired at my cost at a dealership (since I was a few thousand over the powertrain warranty). I bought oem parts & did the repair myself and the issue has not happened again since. This is the exact issue listed in NHTSA action number: PE13003.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 202013

Milan 4-cyl

I was in the middle of making a left turn, when my engine suddenly stalled. I lost all acceleration in the middle of my turn, while oncoming traffic was approaching. My check engine light came on with code P2112. I had to pull over, shut the car completely off, and it was fine for only a few more miles. The problem is ongoing and the vehicle is not safe to drive on a highway. Intermittently, at speeds of 30 mph and higher, the vehicle unexpectedly stalled and showed signs of throttle body failure. The consumer stated all the symptoms he experienced, were consistent with the NHTSA action number PE13003. Also, the brake lights did not activate, when applied. Updated 11/05/13

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 202013

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 172013

Milan

After coming to a stop and turned the corner, there was no power. Pulled over and shut the car off and waited a few minutes and restarted. The wrench light that was on, shut off once the car started up. Took it into the dealer. They could find nothing wrong after a diagnostic test. Do not feel secure in driving as wonder when this will happen again.

- Elk River, MN, USA

Oct 172012

Milan 4-cyl

While commuting to work the engine suddenly lost all power while traveling approx 50mph on rt 9A in ossining NY. Fortunately I was in thr right lane but did not have enough time or momentum to completely pull off the road. A state farm sponsored help truck arrived anf pushed me to the side. At my husband's suggestion he looked to see if leaves had clogged the intake/air filter. It did not. Then he disconnected the hose to the throttle valve and when he pushed it with the screwdriver the engine regained power. I turned around to try and meet my husband at a midway point. The engine shut down again but after restarting, it regained power. I switched cars with my husband and he sprayed the throttle valve with carburetor cleaner and headed home. The car stalled out on him but he was able to roll into a gas/convenience store in garrison NY and sprayed it again. Once home in cold spring he cleaned out the assembly as good as he could and the car worked well for the next 2 weeks. While visiting hungary for a family illness, my son used the car and reported that it began to stall out on him but unstuck? and he was able to return home. The car was brought to freedom Ford in beacon NY this morning for repair since it is not safe to drive in nyc commuter traffic.

- Cold Spring, NY, USA

Oct 142013

Milan 4-cyl

Passing another vehicle when my car suddenly stalled. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of the car I was passing, who sped up, I would have not had time to pull back into my lane in time to avoid a collision with an oncoming car. I had to pull off the road and put the car in park and restart it. It ran fine after that. Unfortunately, this stalling and rough running has happened on several occasions. From what I have read, it looks to be a problem with the throttle body. As you can see, this can be very dangerous when it happens at the wrong time. I never know when it will happen as there is no warning.

- Pocomoke, MD, USA

Oct 102013

Milan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the vehicle shook with a jerking motion and shut off. The wrench warning icon and the check engine light simultaneously illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle restarted within a minute but operated for an unpredictable time and distance. The contact cleaned the throttle body and started the engine but it shut off again. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 45,000. Updated 11/5/13 the consumer purchased the part, and installed it himself. Updated 11/12/13

- Little Lake, MI, USA

Oct 062013

Milan 4-cyl

The car lost all acceleration on the highway. I was driving 65 in the middle lane and had to get over to the shoulder with no way to accelerate. The wrench warning light appeared on the dash. Turned the car off and restarted it and it worked fine for three days. Took it to the dealership and it is the throttle body going bad. This costs $420 to replace. This is a terrible hazard as the only thing you can do is hope to coast to the shoulder of the road safely.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Sep 182013

Milan 6-cyl

Intermittent problem which occurred at variable speeds (25 mph, 40 mph, 60 mph) with rapidly increasing frequency in the week before the throttle body was replaced. While driving, the engine seemed to shift out of gear. However, there was no increase in RPM in response to the accelerator. Pulled to side of road with very low RPM, the vehicle was turned off and then restarted each time without problem.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 032013

Milan 4-cyl

I was driving approx 60 mph on a highway. My car "jerked" forward once, and I completely lost the ability to accelerate. After moving to the shoulder of the road, my car was shaking and difficult to put in park due to the shaking. Car would start up again, but did not have the ability to accelerate except in low drive. Would not accelerate except in low. Had to towed to the dealership, where the throttle body needed replaced and kam reset. This is a 2010 car, fairly new.

- Boonville, IN, USA

Oct 032013

Milan 6-cyl

I was rolling up to a red light. The traffic light turn green, I stepped on the gas pedal and there was no response I turned and coasted into a store parking lot. The engine kept on running at a very low RPM. It was idling. I just spent &300 on a new throttle body and motor assembly.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Oct 012013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated without manual force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated the throttle positioning sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Croaker , MO, USA

Sep 212013

Milan 6-cyl

I was in cincinnati that weekend (3 hours away from home) and as I was pulling into the parking lot of a store, the car jerked very hard and then the wrench showed up on the dash and I lost all power. I was able to coast into a parking space. I then shut off the car and waited a bit and restarted it. The wrench came off the dash and the car was working properly again. We then went about our day and as we were heading back to my nephews football game, we were driving down 4 lanes of traffic and I had just passed a slower moving vehicle when the car jerked abruptly again and I lost all power. I put my turn signal on and was able to turn off a side road. The wrench came on again. It happen the next day as we were attempting to drive back home. We tried to drive the car back home in manual and it worked just fine. I got our car into our local car dealership and they said that it was the throttle body that needed replaced. So after forking out $375, it hasn't done anything since. The reason I'm filing this complaint is that if the throttle body would've acted up while we were traveling through the hilly roads in cincinnati, we would've been in a severe car accident. This problem is a huge concern as you lose all control of the car. You have no gas and the RPM's just quiver on the dash. If I hadn't been able to pull off of the side of the road, we would've been hurt due to a car crash. This concern needs to be sent to Ford/Mercury as this seems to be a huge problem once I researched it. We were fortunate that this didn't happen while we were traveling 70 mph on I-75 in Ohio on our way back. The problem with the throttle body needs to be issued as a recall. It is going to get someone in a very bad accident or killed.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Sep 122013

Milan 6-cyl

On 12 September I went to take off from a light and the car had no acceleration, and the wrench light came on in control panel...I was able to coast to the shoulder on other side of intersection and placed the car in park and turned it off. When I turned the car back on it started fine and the light was no longer on. It was about two weeks later on 27 September was driving to work on a 2-lane road going about 45 mph and the car lost all acceleration and the wrench light came back on. There was not much of a shoulder to pull off on but found a spot and placed car in park and turned it off. I smelled a slight burning smell so waited little bit longer than last time and turned the car back on. It started up and the light was no longer on and it drove fine. I took to a mechanic on Saturday morning and told me the diagnostic could not produce a code because the incident could not be replicated but believed it was the throttle body and needed a replacement.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 202013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate with a reduction in engine rpms. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle was able to operate normally. The failure recurred on two separate times. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 192013

Milan

Traveling on the freeway during rush hour at approximately 70mph when my 2010 Mercury Milan began losing speed, in spite of pressing accelerator to the floor. Got the car to the emergency lane and turned it off. Waited approximately three minutes and restarted engine and all was well again. This problem has happened each day for the last three days--nearly killing me on Saturday. Could not get it in anywhere for diagnosis because of the weekend. Did internet search and find this site, which has more than 250 complaints of the same problem!!!!!! I even called a Ford dealership and the service representative told me that it sounded like a fuel filter. C'mon Ford, you know there is a problem, here. I am going to the dealership tomorrow, Monday, and will insist on this problem being fixed without any cost to me. I urge everyone to call Ford at 800-392-3673. This is a very dangerous defect. There is no warning before the car loses all acceleration.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 122013

Milan

I've experienced several instances of my vehicle stalling while in motion at various speeds (30-65 mph). At the dealership it was determined that the problem is with the throttle & the part is on back order. It is my only means of transportation & cannot get it repaired. Despite the low mileage, I am being told that this is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. This issue is not due to wear & tear but to a manufacturer's mechanical failure. Why is the consumer responsible for the repairs to a preexisting problem in these cars?

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 152013

Milan

Driving along, all of a sudden my car slowed, my gas pedal became unresponsive (would not accelerate), the RPM's would not even go to 1000, would stay below that. When I placed the car in park, the motor began to shake. As soon as the car lost speed the wrench light came on. After stopping and turning off the car and restarting, the wrench light was gone and car ran fine. This happened to me 3 days in a row at different speeds, different miles in between occurrences. Took the car to my trusted mechanic ( after second occurrence), they could not find the problem. After the third occurrence I took it to the Ford dealership and they knew what the issue was right away and fixed it in less than an hour and proceeded to charge me $171 for the throttle body and $330 in labor for an hour of work. Please keep investigating as this is very dangerous and seems to be a common problem with this car. I was on a highway twice and was fortunate to get into a middle turn lane before being rear ended. It was a close call and very scary as I was powerless to do anything but stop the car on a very busy road and pray to not get in an accident. It is unfair that I had to pay almost $600 to replace a defective part. The manufacturer should be responsible.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Aug 032013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder and restarted the engine. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be inspected where the vehicle was diagnosed with throttle body issues. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer for repairs. The vehicle was taken not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Liberty , MO, USA