2010 Mercury Milan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Jun 292013

Milan 6-cyl

I was traveling on a highway 6-29 going 65mph then the check engine light came on, engine lost power, and I was unable to accelerate. I coasted to the side of the highway and stopped. After 20 seconds I restarted the car and was able to get within one mile of my home before it happened again. On 6-30 I dropped the car off at the dealership and on the way to the dealership, it happened again. This time I was on a busier highway and I almost caused an accident while trying to get to the side of the highway eventhough I had my four way flashers on. Ford has a back order of the throttle housing that has to be replaced and it will take two weeks to get the new part. My car is unsafe to drive but the dealership and Ford will not authorize a loaner or rent without me paying full price for one. We have a second vehicle so it was not that big of a deal but if we didn't have a second vehicle we would have had to drive the car with this safety issue or rent a car at full cost with no assistance from Ford. Ford is making a new throttle housing and not using the old faulty part. This is causing the delay in having parts to fix this issue. Ford knows of the problem but has not issued a recall and all the cost falls on the owner of the vehicle.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jul 042013

Milan 4-cyl Diesel

My family and I were driving on the highway at 70ish mph, and all of a sudden, it was like the car went into neutral, had zero power at all. We tried to coast to the side of the road, and ended up getting ran off the road and into a ditch due to heavy traffic and heavy rain at the time it failed. We are ok, no one was injured, but I am highly upset at the Ford Motor Company. My wife said she was so glad I was driving when it happened, because she felt she would have lost control and had a severe wreck. Our 2 year old daughter was with us when this happened =-(

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 282013

Milan

While traveling at a speed of 70mph an heading South on I69 in my 2010 Mercury Milan 2.5L premier, my vehicle jerked and started shaking with my RPM's jumping from 800 to 1100. The check engine light turned on and so did the wrench light. I turned on my hazards and made my way to the side of the road. I shut off the vehicle and restarted it and the warning lights turned off. I started on the road again and at about 45 mph it did the same thing. I got off at the next exit and went to autozone to get the code pulled. It was code P2111, throttle circuit in the open position. I did a google search and found out this is an extremely dangerous and common problem with this vehicle and the Mercury mariner, Ford Focus, and Ford escape with the same engine. I called the dealership and they literally laughed at me and informed me that the throttle body is on national back order and there are currently 7,000 of these orders awaiting to be filled. The dealership also informed me that the manufacturer of the throttle body and Ford are currently trying to give an updated part number which means that they are making a new part to fix this problem. This leaves me with a three year old car completely useless sitting in my driveway. This should be a recall as any car that just shuts off while you are on the freeway is extremely dangerous if you do not know what to do in that situation.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jun 282013

Milan

I was driving with my infant in the car and it suddenly slowed to 20 mph in heavy traffic. Luckily I was able to get into a turn lane and then it died. I was very fortunate that the SUV behind me did not hit me. He slammed on his brakes and laid on his horn. Very scary. The dealership says it is the throttle body, which is on national back-order and they do not know when it can be fixed. They have 5 others right now with the same issue.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

May 272013

Milan 6-cyl

While driving on a country road at 50 mph on mon. May 27th, the car seemed to stall, the gas pedal didn't work & we had to pull over asap. After stopping & restarting the car, we were able to proceed home. At the time, I thought it was a fluke. Then on May 30th it happened again on my street going around 30 mph, so I called the dealer and they said I could come in the next day. Later that same day, I was in rush hour traffic on rt 22(busy highway) & it happened while I was going 60 in the left lane, this was very scary as it was difficult to get over to the shoulder with so much traffic. I took my car to the Ford dealer on Friday May 31st & they said there were no alerts on the car, that they would do a software upgrade that would hopefully fix the issue. The receipt they gave me listed that a throttle body was needed, & it was on back order. I have been trying to minimize using the car, but on June 15th I had to go to my niece and nephew's dance recital in South NJ. While driving home on 295 (major highway) going around 65 the car died again. I was able to proceed after restarting the car, but didn't make it home again without it happening another time. I was making a left turn at an intersection light and the engine died. Thank god it wasn't a wider intersection or I would not have been able to coast through. At this point this car is unusable and is a death trap waiting to happen. I called another dealer, and the part is on back order there as well. This is clearly a major problem with defective throttle bodies in the 2010 Milan that should be recalled, I would like to know how this problem will be rectified. The proof is in the fact that they cannot make the part fast enough to fix the broken cars. The two dealers I dealt with are aware of this widespread problem, obviously due to a manufacturing defect with the throttle body assembly. I have <60K miles.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Jun 262013

Milan 4-cyl

6/26/2013 - driving on heavily traveled road with congestion. Car started lurching and felt like it was starving for fuel. Wrench symbol lit on dashboard. Vehicle continued to move but at a drastically reduced rate. Able to pull over with near misses with accident. Stopped and restarted car, all indicators were cleared and was able to get home. 6/27/2013 - symptoms happened again.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

Jun 202013

Milan 6-cyl

Was driving on highway and suddenly the car lost power and the wrench icon showed on the dashboard. It was like taking one's foot off the gas peddle. Had to get car towed. The fault was the throttle part #ds7Z9E926D there were 2 other cars at the Ford dealer waiting for the same backordered part to arrive. I never saw 3 cars at a dealer with the same problem at the same time. The part being backordered in a leading indicator the quantity of the part being replaced is running high.

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

May 222013

Milan 4-cyl

Vehicle randomly sputters then the throttle completely stops working (dangerous condition at speed) and I have to coast to the side of the road while it is constantly sputtering and then have to put it in park, turn off the ignition and then turn it back on which appears to reset it. Took it to dealership over a month ago and they are still waiting for the part (on back order). Called Ford and they finally filed a case number, but still could not give me a date for when the part will be available. Fyi yesterday it happened about 7 times going to work and another 6 on the way home.

- Ripley, WV, USA

Jun 132013

Milan 6-cyl

Was driving approximately 35 mph. The car began to slow down, and it jerked and hesitated and began to decelerate as it continued the jerking and hesitation. The car would not respond to the accelerator at all. Continued to jerk and slow down and the engine and transmission were not functioning properly. This has now occurred 3 different times in the last two weeks - twice at speeds around 35-40 mph and once at 65 mph. Took it to Ford dealership. They say that it is definitely related to the throttle body. Waiting to get a new throttle body from Ford; but there are none to be had across the whole country.

- Clinton, IL, USA

Feb 042012

Milan

I was trying to enter the freeway on the ramp when the car lost power. No throttle was present and the engine was slowly idling but very roughly. Pulled over and turn ignition off. It started right up as if nothing was wrong. The problem occurs every 2 - 3 weeks but gets worse and harder to keep engine running properly after occurrence. Now check engine light comes on along with the wrench and the engine completely shuts off. The vehicle is now in the shop for $600 throttle body replacement.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jun 212013

Milan

I was driving down a main street heading directly into the free way interstate. Once I approached the interstate I was caught the light.... I then began to take off once it turned green. I reach about 20mph and my car jerked and the wrench icon came on. I then noticed I had no power and no where to go because my car never got a good speed... I almost got hit twice and held up traffic... how embracing seeing that I have a perfectly nice car. Once I got it home( which took 3hrs driving at 10mph and cutting off) I took the car to my auto shop and informed me on a recall for this problem.... but guess what" the dealership said not for me car....if their is a recall on this part.. what makes my car different." So I ended up paying $300 bucks in repairs, losing $200 work day.... total loss....$500 on a part that is on recall... this is bull...

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jun 182013

Milan

Throttle body went bad. Car unable to accelerate. Was able to get car to dealer after shutting off and turning back on several times which resets affected parts. Four other 2010 Milan at the dealership for the same problem.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Jun 202013

Milan 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 55 mph. Without warning the car felt as if had jumped out of gear, there was no throttle response. The car began to slow rapidly, a following vehicle had to avoid rear-ending me. The car jerking and hesitating was able to be gradually moved to a location where I could exit the road. The car would not respond to the accelerator at all. The orange wrench symbol appeared in my dash console. After thinking about it for a couple minutes, I turned the engine off, restarted, the problem had corrected itself. The prior day, while braking behind a car, foot on brake, neither foot near or on throttle, the car lurched forward with the throttle overpowering the brake for a second or two causing me to have to apply the brake more aggressively. I did not think about this too much, but after this occurrence this morning I wonder if the two events are related. I called the dealer, while he would not confirm the fact, it seems to be a recurring problem on this issue, a lot of people are complaining on the internet about the issue. I suppose the most telling point is that if the part most likely to be a problem, is indeed bad, and does not respond to just a cleaning, they cannot replace it because the part is on backorder. I asked if there was a recall, the dealer would not comment. The problem is most likely to occur again. It is a safety issue, and should be addressed in a recall before someone is killed, if it has not already happened.

- Walkersville, MD, USA

Jun 052013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated and jerked with the illumination of the maintenance and check engine lights. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic where it was advised that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Deberry , TX, USA

Jun 032013

Milan 4-cyl

On June 1 the vehicle got stuck at 4 RPM's while driving on a highway and when the accelerator was pressed, the vehicle did not respond. A week later the vehicle again did not accelerate when the gas pedal was pressed while attempting to enter a highway. The vehicle sputtered and stalled out. Vehicle was turned off and back on with no other problems. On June 18 the vehicle sputtered & stalled leaving a parking lot. The vehicle was turned off and restarted 4 times, but this time the vehicle would not respond when accelerator was pressed. Each time accelerator was pressed it sputtered and died. Vehicle was towed from the scene and problem was diagnosed as a throttle body failure.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 132013

Milan 4-cyl

Pulled out of driveway, attempted to accelerate, engine sputtered the no power. Able to restart engine, attempted to accelerate again, engine sputtered again then completely lost power. Engine check light came on and remained on.

- Jena, LA, USA

May 162013

Milan 4-cyl

I had stopped at lights and after accelerating up to apprx 45mph the car become unresponsive when pushing on gas. My first thought was my transmission had went out. I coast over to the shoulder and then the car begin to vibrate and run rough so I shut car down. The "wrench " light came on. I had car towed in and after 3 days and the dealership talking to Ford it was decided it was going into the "limp" mode. The fix was a new throttle body. The throttle body part was backed ordered. Per the dealership there was a change on the throttle bodt part due to issues and was back ordered. Parts took about 2 weeks to get and car was repaired and I have been driving for 2 weeks with no issue. I do understand that the car has 80000 miles on it but I seen on the internet where the circuit board and this throttle body had been a on going complaint.

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Jun 142013

Milan 6-cyl

While traveling at 35 mph car would not accelerate. Had to shut car off and restart ran ok until stopped at intersection then car keep dying. Would always restart ok but at times would have to put car in netrural and rev engine to keep from stalling. Have researched on inter net and seems to be same problem with throttle body. I have taken the body off and cleaned it but problem still occurs.

- Helena, AL, USA

Jun 082013

Milan 6-cyl

While at highway speed using cruise control on a slight upgrade, engine suddenly lost power and returned to idle and wrench warning light illuminated. After stopping, it was noted that engine was still running at idle but there was no throttle control. After ignition was shut off for a few minutes, vehicle was restarted and throttle control was found to be normal. Dealer diagnosed likely problem as throttle body, which would be covered under drivetrain warranty but Ford subsequently advised it was not covered. Further, owner was advised part was on indefinite nation-wide back-order with no known availability date but that vehicle was drivable in the meantime with the risk that problem could recur with increasing frequency.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Dec 012012

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was shut off and restarted, and operated as designed. Later while the contact was completing a turn, the failure recurred and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but the cause for the failure was undetermined. The mechanic stated that the failure could have been contributed to the gasoline being used in the vehicle. The failure later recurred and the vehicle was diagnosed as the electronic throttle body needing to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 107,000.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA