NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 4 of 6)

2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Aug 092014

Milan 6-cyl

When stepping on the brakes the rear passenger brake light either flickers or illuminates half way. When we took it to Ford they said this was not covered by warranty and tried to charge us $500. This is obviously a malfunction on the manufacturers side.

- North Port, FL, USA

Aug 192014

We had our oil changes and a safety check performed by our local Ford dealer in elmira, NY and we were informed that when our parking lights were on the right rear (passenger side) tail light was illuminated as if the brake light were on and the left side was a normal illumination. This I saw as a serious safety issue because it could confuse someone behind the car and possibly lead to an accident and wondered why this was happening so I went online and learned that I am one of possibly thousands that this is happening to. The fix is to replace the entire tail-light assembly which at a dealer would cost between $400 to $600. The tailight is an led assembly and in my opinion it is a faulty part. It poses a very serious safety issue and because from my research it can happen at any age or millage is should be recalled and be replaced with a reliable unit. Years ago one knew when your light was out or your turn signal wasn't working and it was a cheap $2 fix. I was lucky because only one light was bad but what if both lights were bad I or my wife could have been involved in a very serious accident. I know that it was a definite fault in the unit because when the parking lights were not on it functioned as it should when the brakes were applied. Lets get a recall so people won't get hurt.

- Hector, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Milan 4-cyl

Just drove home from the dealer after buying this used 2010 Mercury Milan with 26000 miles and when I backed into my parking space I saw the reflection on the wall behind me that was no difference in the light with or without my foot on the brake. I called the dealer next day and they said to bring it back leave it for a day. I have found online that the led lights have a problem. I have not returned it yet because I live 80 miles from the dealer and need a ride home. I hope to this week.

- Salem, WV, USA

Aug 112014

Milan 6-cyl

Same failure as everyother Milan. Drivers side rear taillight malfunction! anytime headlights are on the taillight lights up as if the brakes are on. They aren't. dealership pretends not to know anything about the problem. Ford lost two sales on this one. When the Mercury and the Lincoln come of age, back to imports for this couple.

- Orting, WA, USA

Dec 112013

The taillights never changed illumination, when the headlights where on. When the headlights were not on they illuminated according to brake petal pressing. Was driving at night with headlights on nd was rear ended due to the other driver knowing I was stopping. The other driver was hurt along with her passenger. Next morning to vehicle in to dealership was told it needed a headlight control switch and an rear tail light assemblies. Not bulbs but assembled as these are led. 435$ for each taillight and 50 for control switch.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Left tail light started flickering and now is completely out. Was told assembly needs to be replaced. This is at least a $400 fix. This is a led light and should have lasted more than 4 years. This is a safety concern and a recall should be issued.

- Converse, TX, USA

Dec 012013

Milan 4-cyl

Have been having issues with tail lights flickering and going out intermittently. From what I've read online, it appears this is an ongoing and widespread issue. The replacement is only for the entire unit at a cost of over $400. This is absolutely ridiculous and I believe there should be a recall on this matter. It is a potential hazard and a lot of people cannot afford the fee for 1 tail light much less both.

- Kewanee, IL, USA

Aug 062014

Milan 4-cyl

The driver side rear brake light does not work when the driving lights are on. It seems there are multiple people with this same problem, as a responsible company Ford should fix this issue and not pass there error on to the consumers. The fog lights also are having electrical issues, sometimes they work, other times they don't.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Milan 6-cyl

The passenger side led brake light assembly is constantly illuminated as if the brakes are applied but they are not. Makes a safety hazard as it is distracting to drivers that are following and they may misjudge my braking. This is the second assembly that I have had go faulty. The first was the day I bought it but the dealer replaced the $400 part for free.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Jul 222014

Milan 6-cyl

The drivers side brake light has intermittent operation. The lamp cannot be replaced like a regular turn signal lamp.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 242014

Milan 4-cyl

Left and right brake lights stay on brake lights when lights are turned on.

- Bristolville, OH, USA

Jul 232014

Brake light tail light just stopped working. Seems to be a common expensive problem that Ford should stand by. I wish there was an aftermarket tail light assembly. Led's should last longer than four year's.

- Marshalltown, IA, USA

Jun 042014

Led brake light flickers on and off.

- Hayward, WI, USA

Sep 012013

Both tail lamps illuminate irregularly. Sometimes one will stay on all the time as if braking, other times one will come on, but flicker and still other times they won't work at all. While driving, I have no idea if they are working correctly or not. I am concerned that I will get hit from behind due to this problem.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Milan 6-cyl

Driver's side taillight illuminates as if the brakes are applied the entire time the headlights are on.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

May 282014

Milan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the rear brake light illuminated. The contact mentioned that there were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tail light assembly needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 49,500 and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 8/12/14 the consumer stated the right stop light was always on with the tail light. Then the right side light went out. Updated 09/23/14

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Milan 4-cyl

Back tail light assembly (led panel) of the 2010 Milan is faulty. Some lights would not light up at all and at one point someone reported none were lighting up. The car was just over the warranty with only 16,000 miles. Checking online it appears this is a serious problem with this model and year car and many have experienced the problem with low mileage even with replacement panels (at upwards of $400 for the part). Since it is impossible for a driver to know if/when the lights are or are not working - it is a serious danger for anyone driving behind a Milan. NHTSA should force a recall of the parts before someone is rear ended and killed. Ford and their dealerships do not care.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 012014

Milan 6-cyl

When the headlights switch is in the on or parking lights only, the right and left brake lights come on at full brightness. When brakes pedal is depressed, there is no change in brightness of right and left brake lights and the center rear brake light illuminates. When this was taken in for a required NY state inspection, the vehicle failed due to this issue. The mechanic working on the vehicle has stated that this is a very common issue with this year, make and model. Dealer has been contacted and stated the cost would be in excess of $1,000 to repair this issue. This is a safety issue that is most likely to lead to rear end collisions and is common in several different vehicles of this year, make and model. Manufacturer should be recalling vehicles of this year, make and model to repair this issue.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Feb 052013

After being told on several occasions that our left tail light and brake light was not working, on 5/19/14 our 2010 Milan was taken in for routine maintentance by the dealer. At that time, they were asked to address the tail light and brake light problem. The vehicle had 35,070 miles on the odometer and although the new car warranty had expired, we had purchased both premium care and esp at the time of purchase to the tune of over $2000. I was shocked and very angry when I was informed that the left led tail light would need to be replaced at a cost of over $400 and it would not be covered under either program. Subsequently, in checking the small print, I discovered that led lights were indeed excluded under either program. Checking further, I found that there are numerous complaints of what certainly appears to be a manufacturer defect and a safety issue regarding the led tail lights the Ford dealer service advisor did not seem be surprised at my outrage since this seemingly is a problem that he evidently has dealt with before. Now it appears my right brake light is staying lit and does not function when the brake is applied and I could be faced with a $1000 repair bill. Evidently Ford is going to have to be forced to address this problem. One could be driving along without knowing their stop/brake lights were not working since there is no visual alert on the message center and wonder why they were suddenly rear-ended by a following vehicle at a traffic light. Besides the expense to the owner, there is a real safety issue that needs to be addressed! the lack of brake lights could result in serious injury and or death and considerable damage. The problem is an obvious defect in materials if not workmanship and the company is clearly liable. The life expectancy of led light strips is certainly much longer than the ordinary light bulb, so what is going on?

- Conway, SC, USA

May 202014

Milan 4-cyl

The passenger side led tail light is no longer working. The car is not even 5 years old yet. Leds should not fail this quickly since this is a critical safety part. My understanding is that it is not covered under my Ford premium level extended warranty. It is a costly part.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA