2010 Mercury Milan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jun 162015

Milan

No power steering, called dealer and they what $80 to tell me I have no power steering and might cost $1800 to repair. So many reports of this why haven't they recalled these.

Sep 212015

Milan

When driving down the road, the steering suddenly locked up and I could no longer steer. Messages saying service advancetrac and power steering failure were displayed. I checked the fluids and everything was ok. After researching this problem online, I saw that the 2011 Milan was already under recall along with many other Ford models. The 2010 Milan needs to be added to the recall as the issue also occurs with this model. This is definitely going to be a safety issue as I do not have $2000 to get this fixed and I have no other option but to drive without power steering until the recall goes through.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Milan

Steering does not turn. It came without warning. I turned on the car to go to work to find out it doesn't work. Can't turn left and can't turn right. It is very very hard to turn the steering wheel. It's been like this for almost a month. This is the only car I have and I'm afraid I might crash going to work all because of the steering wheel not working. I wonder if anybody has been killed (hope to god not) by this malfunction it needs to fixed asap

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Sep 112015

Milan

I was driving to work and a light came on which I have not seen before as well as two console messages that read "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac." My steering became noticeably heavier as I drove and then completely lost power steering as I pulled into a parking lot. I had to stop in the middle of the parking lot and slowly with great effort I was able to angle the car into a parking spot. There were no noises. I towed the vehicle to a near by auto shop and they diagnosed a faulty electric power steering and quoted me $1750 for repair.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 092015

Milan

While at college my son called and said the power steering went out in his car. Took it to a repair shop which referred me to a dealer since they whole steering gear system had to be replaced and the computer would have to be programmed. This is going to be between 1800-2500 repair. I found this site and it seems to be a model wide issue. I am hoping that the recall on the 2011 and 2012 will be expanded to include the 2010.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Aug 292015

Milan

While I was backing out of my driveway on Saturday my power steering went out. There was a message saying power steering assist fault. This has happened 2 times before and when I shut the car off and turn back on the message goes away and I have power steering back. This Saturday was not the case, the warning didn't go away and the car was not drivable. I had the car towed to local Ford dealership and they told me it was the steering gear and it would cost around $1800. I've research the recalls and found a lot of complaints about this same issue. In fact the 2011 Milan has a recall for the same issue!

Aug 052015

Milan

There was no prior warning or problem with the car at all. I just started the car for work and immediately there was no power steering. A warning message appeared "power steering assist" and advanctrac. I turned the car off and restarted after a minute with no change. I repeated this several more times lengthening the time interval with no change. I tried the next morning and the problem still persisted. I had the vehicle towed into the dealership and after their evaluation they stated the problem was the power steering gear and would need a total replacement at a cost of $2200. In 40 years of driving I have never had a power steering issue, period. There is a recall for this very problem on similar vehicles but not mine. I am writing to report that the current Ford recall does not encompass all affected vehicles.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 072015

Milan

I was pulling out of a parking space a gas station and the "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" service lights came on. The steering wheel became very tight and undriveable. After two calls with Ford and research online I found that the 2011 Milan has a recall but not my 2010 Milan. The car is unsafe to drive.

- Franklin , MA, USA

Aug 022015

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. While driving at 40 mph, service advanced trac was displayed across the message board and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 072015

Milan

While driving, power steering went out. After researching to see if it would be under a recall, it was discovered, many, many Ford cars with the same steering wheel/power steering step-up has been recalled. Because our car is a hybrid, apparently they, Ford, haven't gotten around to recalling them. Ford needs to step and recall hybrids too.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Aug 022015

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. While driving approximately 40 mph, there was an abnormal noise and the service advance trak warning message appeared while making a right turn. The contact mentioned that there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 182014

Milan

While driving I lost all steering control, this problem has happened in the past. Took car to Ford they reset the computer & I was ok, until March 29 2015 I was driving and lost all sterring control, took the car bac to Ford & was told they dont know anything & I would ghave to replace steeeing gears. This is very dangerous & I had no problems with the car until I had the power train recall fixed. Please fix this problems before someone is seriously injured

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Jun 072015

Milan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the power steering failed and an unknown warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed and repaired but the failure recurred. The repair details were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 163,000. The consumer stated, on July 13, 2015, that the vehicle was inoperable. Updated 9/21/2015

- Sevierville, TN, USA

May 282015

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. While driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that excessive force was required to turn the steering wheel. The contact merged to the side of the road, where the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jan 092015

Milan

Power steering went out until I restarted the car then fine until later in the day, same thing no power steering. Everything was fine until a few days ago. Then it started a again, as the days went by it was happening more and more and now it wont reset when starting. No power steering at all!

Apr 082015

Milan

Electronic power steering system displays message on dash display, as well as service advancetrac. The first time the incident happened I was able to turn the car off and the power steering resumed when I re-started the car. This went on and off intermittently for a couple of months. Now I have no power steering at all and it is extremely difficult (near impossible) to drive safely. Ford has identified this issue in over 400K vehicles that they just released last week. I am in the military and I live in italy and have no idea how to fix this. There is an obvious chronic problem with this and it needs to be corrected. Please add my vehicle to the recall list. abcnews.go.com/business/wirestory/Ford-recalls-423K-vehicles-power-steering-problem-31332026 here is the link to the news article identifying the problem.

- Apo, AE, USA

May 232015

Milan

It started in recent weeks when we start the car we get an error message "electric power steering malfunction" and there is no power assist. Shutting off the car and restarting clears the error message. Twice now while driving right after start up the steer malfunction error came up and with it we had a loss of power streering. Both times we were able to move to the curb, put in park shut off and restart and no problems. We will be getting this to the dealer but don't anticipate a fix. They only repair when they can duplicate a problem and this problem is intermittent.

- Monrovia, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. While driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that excessive force was required to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Radcliffe, KY, USA

Mar 302015

Milan 4-cyl

As I was making a right turn at a rural intersection I lost power steering. I was going possibly 25 mph. I went into the left lane but there was no vehicle there. If there had been I would have hit it. A warning came on "service advance trac & service power steering now" this also happened about 2 years ago when I was stopped. At that time a Ford tech reprogrammed a module & it has been ok til now.

- Wabash, IN, USA

Feb 112015

Milan

3 times when I have started my car the "power steering fault assist" is displayed and I have no power steering. After restarting it was fine but now it has completely gone out. The vehicle isn't old enough for it to fail. If it happened while I was driving I could have wrecked. It is unsafe.

- Greenville, TX, USA