Cracked Rear Panel

2004 Mercury Mountaineer (Page 2 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mercury dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

6.8

2. replace panel (18 reports)
  3. default in design, recall and fix (9 reports)
  4. ford should issue a recall and fix them all! (6 reports)
2004 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Mountaineer:

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 122014

Mountaineer Premeer 4.6L V8

Cracked rear panel on the bottom of the glass. the plastic trim peice had cracked in line with the middle of the emblem. it is annoying to look at and I see it on Fords as well. Ford should stand up to its name. "Built Ford Tough"... if this is how tough they are then why does the trans give out or why was it so hard to make sure the dam trim does not crack under normal use. It's not hard to add a little extra plastic or glue to support it. There should be a recall.

Many businesses are having bailouts. if they can keep their customers then they won't need it! But of course that is not the case

- , Ridgefield Park, NJ, USA

Mar 082012

Mountaineer Priemier 4.6L V8

went to the Mercury dealer to have this repaired and was told that it will not be covered under Ford's warranty. had to pay for the repair out of my pocket. Ford knows about the problem because it occurs in many moutaineer and explorer vehicles from 2002-2005. still they refuse to admit it is a problem.

- , Monroe Twp, NJ, USA

Dec 152011

Mountaineer V6

Mountaineer with a cracked rear hatch. Ford doesn't care that this part is a bad design!

- , Prospect, KY, USA

Dec 002009

Mountaineer 4.0lV6

IT LOOKS LIKE SH*T! CAN'T WAX BACK DOOR BECAUSE OF THE CRACK. TOOK THE TRADE IN VALUE DOWN IF I WANT TO TRADE! SEEN MORE ON THE ROAD EVERYDAY THE SAME WAY AS MINE WENT!!!!!!! FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!! IT IS DESIGNED POORLY!!!!!!! I'M AFRAID TO LIFT MY GATE BECAUSE IT CRACKS FURTHER!!!!!!! FORD NEEDS TO STAND BEHIND THIS 100% , ASAP. IT IS A PROBLEM ON EVERYONE LIKE MINE I'VE SEEN! PEOPLE JUST AREN'T REPORTING IT!!!!!! FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Williamsburg, PA, USA

Feb 082008

Mountaineer V6

The back panel in the lift gate cracked near the emblem.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 012012

Mountaineer Premier 4.6L

My 2004 mercury mountaineer has a large crack in the rear lift gate. After reviewing all the complaints, I cant believe Ford refuses to fix the problem. My quote for repairs $793.00

Millage 58000.

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Jul 152007

Mountaineer Limited V6

There are too many to be anything but a design problem and Ford should fix them all!

We are a long line of Ford owners and this could be the end of the line when it comes to replace this vehicle.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 282011

Mountaineer

The crack in the liftgate directly under the rear window happened twice. When it first happened the car was under warranty(2005), but now it is no longer under warranty, we have to pay for the repair ourselves. Since, it is definitely a design flaw, Ford should do all repairs gratis. HA - I will certainly consider purchasing from another automobile company when I need a new SUV.

- , Columbus, GA, American Samoa

Sep 012009

Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V8

Each and every Mountaineer and Explorer I see has this crack including mine. I'm actually really impressed when I see one without the crack. I guess it's like the golden ticket in the Willy Wonka bar. Ford made 5 trim pieces (out of 10's of thousands) that didn't crack! Ford - Shame on you!

- , Orange, VA, USA

Feb 012007

Mountaineer 4.6L V8

One day, found my 04 Mountaineer had the painted piece on the rear hatch cracked. Took it in fixed under warranty.

- , South Bend, IN, USA

May 012011

Mountaineer V8

Husband always owned a Mercury vehicle and we have always like them. Now that he is gone and I am left with a vehicle needs a new hatchback. Which I cannot afford. The hatchback is split all the way down the middle and around the emblem. Have heard of several doing this. I enjoy my Mountaineer but don't think I will buy another Mercury product if I can't get any help. I am very disappointed in Mercury that they haven't found a solution for this problem.

- , Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Jan 152007

Mountaineer

I bought "up" to attain this vehicle. It immediately had the crack in the lower part of the rear window all the way through. Now over a year ago, I noticed the paint on the top of the car in the area of the luggage carrier is peeling, and starting to rust very badly. COME ON!!! How can any auto maker expect return business if the top of the line of their SUV is falling apart in ways that are retarded! I only have 61K miles on it today and am upset that NO ONE cares. This is America, what happened to the "hand shake" on the deal, and standing behind work which was obviously inferior when it came off the assembly line.....yeah, I know, WHO cares, right? Anyone out there????

- , KATY, TX, USA

Dec 152010

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

I at one time just thought my Mountaineer Truck was just gettin old, even knowing that I took well care of it, when one morning I saw this hair line crack in my rear panel. I thought this may have been just my car, until I started seeing the same area cracked in cars of my model on the Job in the same location. I then started asking questions of the owners of what happened to cars and when did this occur. they all mostly told me that this just happened out of the ordinary. I then went to the Ford dealership and they stated this was a known problem, they were fixing them on cars from 2002 to 2004,but had stopped repairing. I was told that if I wanted this repaired it would cost me $600.00, even with the company knowing this is a defect in all 2002 thru 2004 cars, Fords and Mercury. I am pursuing this issue to find out what should be done? I do not believe most car owners have knowledge that the cracking of their rear panel was a defect in the building of the ford cars, but I will hope that they will also notify Ford to let them know how dissatisfied they are, because they were not told.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 082009

Mountaineer Premier

i agree with all the above. i won't buy another one.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Jun 102009

Mountaineer AWD V6

This is definitley a design flaw. I have seen it on many (20-30) Mountaineers and Explorers. What's really bad is I talked several of my family members into buying these autos.

- , Mason, OH, USA

Apr 012010

Mountaineer V8

Got estimate from Ford Dealer of $534. He said they should have recalled them but didn't

- , Charles City, VA, USA

Nov 292010

Mountaineer V8

Went to put items in back of my car and noticed a crack down the middle of the liftgate starting near the rear window and going down center around the emblem. I called my Ford Dealer and he said this problem occurs in many of the Explorer and Mountaineer SUV models, Ford is aware of the problem and it is not covered as a recall, although they are very aware of the problem because it happens so frequently. The dealer said they get a lot of call int he winter due to expanding and contracting of the plastic. If Ford is aware of this and it is a KNOWN DEFECT, they should fix it. If it happens to almost all SUV Ford vehicles there should be a recall and with the bad rap cars are getting these days…they should do what they can to keep ford customers happy. It’s wrong for them to know about an ongoing problem and not do anything to fix the thing or compensate the customer. Make it right Ford or you'll be the next makers struggling to sell cars!!! I own 2 Ford SUV's and money is tight these days and if you ever want me to buy another Ford vehicle, you need to stand by your customers and fix the defect you are very well aware of! It is wrong to put this off as the customer's responsibility. I used to be a Chevy girl, but loved my first Explorer...however, this is reason enough to go back to Chevy if you don't care about your customers and the reputation of your vehicles! Set up a recall now and fix your problem!!!

Update from Nov 11, 2014: Driver's side heater gave out and when driving long distances (100+ miles straight) the mountaineer has been known to die out while driving. We have to pull over and wait a few minutes and then it will start up again and continue the trip without happening again. This has happened on numerous trips.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 092010

Mountaineer

Every 2002-2004 Explorer or Mountaineer I see has a cracked rear hatch. I heard that there was assistance with fixing the problem for a short time but that ended! I guess Ford doesn't care that this part is a bad design! I will have to wait until it falls off and hurts someone before they will do anything about it! Man up Ford and fix the issue, make me have faith in the products you build so that I might purchase another Ford again!

- , CHESAPEAKE, VA, USA

Jan 072009

Mountaineer

Very poor workmanship to have this happen to so many cars

Also the window hinges broke before and almost broke my wife's wrist

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 272010

Mountaineer Luxury 4.0L V6

Having read a fairly large number of complaints on this problem and seen that there was possible financial assistance from Ford for what is obviously a vehicle defect, I contacted the Ford Hotline. As can be expected, the CSR was very nice, but emphasized that there was no recall, only a TSB out on repairs. She did suggest that I bring the truck back to the dealer from whom we purchased it and talk to the Service Manager. He stated the obvious - no warranty, tough beans. He had only a limited amount of Ford "Good Will" money and apparently I wasn't on that list. He did say he would try to work out a discount, but with his estimate of $500 it isn't likely to be sufficient. I have purchased many cars from this multicar dealership (Leith) over the years and will never buy another and will try to influence anyone else to avoid doing so as well.

This should be a no cost recall for a product defect!

- , Cary, NC, USA