2004 Mercury Mountaineer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Mountaineer:

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Nov 222014

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where it was restarted. However, the vehicle failed to accelerate past 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the power train needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 99,000. The VIN was not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 152012

Mountaineer

Transmission solenoids three times, paint coming off, passenger seat trim came off, cracked rear lift gate, passenger front and rear door windows, and driver side rear door window do not work

- Harlan, IA, USA

Oct 032005

Mountaineer 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle exhibited a forward jerking motion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the solenoid body was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the defect was not remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 5/15/14..updated 05/21/14 updated 06/2/2014

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 122012

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that while attempting to change the wheel drive, the vehicle failed to utilize the forward wheel drive. In addition, the vehicle began exhibiting several failures simultaneously. The power steering assist failed, the gear shifter failed, and the transmission was causing the vehicle to jerk abnormally. Also, the power windows had become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was informed that the transfer case and transmission needed to be replaced. The additional failures were not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 232013

Mountaineer

The transmission is slipping between gears, revving way higher than normal to shift and won't go into overdrive. My research of the problem shows this is a common issue on Ford and Mercury vehicles in this year range.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 062013

Mountaineer

2004 Mercury Mountaineer whole transmission is bad from reviews and blogs from alot of people recently read and read constant blogs about the same transmission problems that. I'm having its for sure a defect from Mercury im putting risk on my family with this vehicle consult it with a mechanic and said Mercury Mountaineer Explorer and aviator all had transmission problems there needs to be something done about this I really don't have the money to purchase a new vehicle.

- Blue Island , IL, USA

Jun 042013

Mountaineer

Transmission seems to be failing or transfer case its really a big problem because when I drive onto the express way a rattling noise gets louder as I accelerate I feel concerned about my safety and my children plus other drivers they should recall for vehicle inspection I am very upset and scared.

- Blue Island, IL, USA

Jun 032013

Mountaineer

I purchased a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer first the rear liftgate plastic broke and there's a crack by the emblem on some occasions when put in reverse it makes a loud bang noise or when starting to accelerate but the biggest problem is that on the highway up to 50mph and over there seems to be a rattle under the engine and it gets louder when mph is higher im not sure what it is but im really worried that it maybe a transmission problem and if this problem isn't recalled me and my family plus others are in really big danger its a family car so im starting to worry for my family and there safety these vehicles need to go on inspection and soon so these doesn't lead to any accidents.

- Blue Island , IL, USA

Aug 012012

Mountaineer

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. The contact stated that the shifter would not shift into park due to a defective shift cable. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where the mechanic advised that the shifter cable needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the shifter cable replaced. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Broken Bow , OK, USA

Apr 222008

Mountaineer 6-cyl

In April 2008 our transmission went. It was rebuilt with all Ford parts. It's has gone again in July 2012. Ford will not do anything to help me. I would like a recall on this make and year and model. This is the 3rd transmission. Unacceptable!!!!!!! I want reimbursement for all 3 transmissions!

- Southington, CT, USA

Nov 152008

Mountaineer

Being having problems with rear lift gate [ not staying close, opens anytime, it wants to by itself. My transmission problems erratic shifting, hard shifting up and down shifting and in and out shifting on reverse from park to reverse pulls very hard. When I bought the car I told them they looked at like I didn't know what I was saying they made an appointment for mechanic to check it and said it was good but it wasn't. I have 84,000 miles on it never pull a trailer with it I've made 38 payments on it. Why does Ford puts a product like that and asks alot of money for the car that can't even make to 100,000 miles they should be out of act. Hope Ford will take care of this cars.

- Weiser, ID, USA

Nov 122011

Mountaineer 6-cyl

The transmission failed on my 2004 Mountaineer the first time in July 2009 with only approx 58,000 miles. It was under warranty. I was told by the Mercury dealership that my transmission would have to be rebuilt for the transmission was on national back order for a brand new transmission. I made an inquiry as to why a transmission would be on national back order??. now at approx 84,000 miles the warranty rebuilt transmission has failed again. That is only 24,000 miles put on the rebuilt transmission. My rebuilt transmission has not even hit the 30,000 miles major transmission service time. My warranty expired at 75,0000 miles. My dealership has informed me I have no warranty on a transmission that was rebuilt under warranty past 75,0000 miles.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 122011

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Transmission failed at 58,000 and was rebuilt ( not replaced) under warranty. Now less than 24,000 miles and 27 months later at 84,000 miles, transmission has failed again. The rebuilt transmission has not even hit the 30,000 miles major transmission service time.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 092011

Mountaineer 6-cyl Diesel

Transfer case defect causes steering difficulty on slow turns. Transmission issue reported to Ford in 2005 at 38,000 miles. Again at 51,000. I opted for an aamco transmission when Ford refused to cover. Now transfer case is making driving dangerous. Turning ability greatly reduced.

- Manalapan , NJ, USA

May 302011

Mountaineer 6-cyl

Automatic transmission shifter completely broke off when changing from park to drive on a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 112011

Mountaineer 8-cyl

Rear door panel cracked, visual, then found several more 2004 Mountaineer with the same crack, now a lawsuit has been filed as class action, I hear a noise mechanical grind from rear of vehicle, stop by a Ford dealer to get a trade in price, and see if anything is mentioned, they tell me to get my car fixed, !! no mention they knew of the problems, now I read transmission problems, glass visibility problems, cruise control fire, problems my car's cruise quit working, on and on it goes, lists of lists of problems, I know cars wear out but to know there are problems and hide them, needs action.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 192004

Mountaineer 6-cyl

When applying the accelerator pedal from a stop position it caused a momentary pulse before the vehicle went into motion. Vehicle had been to the dealer on numerous occasions, and they were unable to locate the problem. The consumer stated that the pause was so severe that it jerks all passengers heads. The vehicle also had transmission problems. The transmission had a harsh shift and clunk when going into reverse or drive. The transmission has been repaired.

- Shawano, WI, USA