2006 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mini Cooper:

2006 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 132011

Cooper 4-cyl

My power steering is going in and out. I might have it, and drive another minute its not working. The car only has 58740 miles on it I have had it checked out and the pump seems to be the problem. MINIsays there is not problem with their steering pumps but when I go on line and check there seems to be a lot of others having the same problem at the same approximate mileage mark give or take a few. This is over a thousand dollar fix. Is MINIgoing to wait until there are enough accidents before they admit there in problem? I have checked the fluid and the fan all is working and fine. It's just the malfunctioning pump.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jan 142012

Cooper 4-cyl

Complete power steering failure occurred while I was driving around a street corner! I was traveling around 15 mph(not very fast) and I was fortunate not to have an accident. There was absolutely no warning and took me by surprise.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 032011

Cooper 4-cyl

My wife noticed an unusual electrical humming noise that rapidly became progressively louder coming from somewhere in the engine compartment when the car was running. Very quickly it became harder and harder to steer until it felt like there was no assisted steering at all. She has not been able to drive it since. Recently went to a MINIdealership to have it checked out with the result that they said the pump did indeed fail. No recall has been issued as of yet, even though this seems to be a widespread problem.

- Portland, ME, USA

Sep 092011

Cooper 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle on an entrance ramp to a parkway.halfway through the curve, my steering stopped working. I could not turn the wheel. I hit my brakes as the vehicle jumped the curb. I just missed hitting a tree. I called a friend to see if I lost a belt or something. When he started the car, the steering worked. He decided to drive the car to a shop for me and the same thing happened to him. The mechanic at the shop told me I would need a new power steering pump. He said this has happened to many MINICoopers. I don't know if anyone has gotten killed by this yet, but it should be recalled before it happens.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Aug 182006

Cooper 4-cyl

Steering has become difficult. More difficult than an unassisted steering system.

- East Elmhurst, NY, USA

May 092009

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper convertible. While driving approximately 30 mph or less, the contact experienced a slight loss in the power steering. There was no warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel maneuvered with difficulty, even though the power steering had not completely failed. The vehicle continued in operation. In addition, a ticking noise would emit from the transmission. The contact planned to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. Also in may of 2009, the engine and clutch were replaced. Most recent the dealer was notified of the faulty power steering pump and transmission malfunction and they advised the manufacturer would be informed of the defects. The approximate failure mileage was 44,164.

- Highland Park , IL, USA

Jul 202011

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper. The contact stated while starting the vehicle, the power steering malfunctioned. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic test but could not diagnose the failure. The contact reviewed numerous complaints online regarding the power steering failure. The contact restarted the vehicle and the power steering system began to function again. The contact did not notify the manufacturer of the failure. The contact stated the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Wildwood, NJ, USA

May 212011

Cooper 4-cyl

A problem developed with the steering wheel of my MINIcooper "S" (2006). The problem started somewhat gradually, over a period of several days to a week, during which the wheel became more and more difficult to turn. My vehicle has never been in an accident or in any sort of incident. It has less than thirty-five thousand miles on it. I took my MINIto an authorized MINIcooper repair facility who informed me that the knock (sp?) sensor and steering motor had failed and needed replacement. This was at a cost of approximately $2,000 dollars, however it did not resolve the issue. The steering wheel continues to be sluggish and difficult to maneuver. It is my belief that whatever is wrong with the steering is a design flaw, as no car with less than thirty-five thousand miles on it should exhibit such a strange and critical failure.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 072011

Sudden complete loss of power steering. Several days after the original battery failed and was replaced, there was a continuing sound like a fan or electric motor running constantly. This noise continued until the power steering ceased completely during a parking maneuver. After the steering failed the previously noted noise stopped.

- Oroville, CA, USA

May 232011

Cooper 4-cyl

Exiting the freeway engine lights started flashing and I immediately lost steering. Took all my strength to steer it to safety. Some smoke coming underneath. Local mechanic reported that the cooling fan for the hydraulic power steering had stopped and everything had over heated. Multiple wires and components completed melted. Local mechanic declined to fix and told us to take it to BMW/MINIto fix. They refused to acknowledge defect and we are still trying to get it repaired.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 232011

Cooper 4-cyl

I had my car for a week after getting it back after a very expensive transmission replacement when I was driving it and tried to turn onto the highway. It was extremely difficult to make the turn and I narrowly avoided ending up in the bar ditch. Upon, getting my vehicle to town I immediately took it to a mechanic. My power steering has failed and I will probably be replacing the whole system at a thousand dollars or more. After paying 6500+ for a transmission that went out through no fault of my own, you can imagine my disappointment and frankly, my disgust. I called the closes MINIcooper dealership (about 400 miles away) they offered no helpful information and neglected any mention of the numerous problems with this component, the current investigation, and the class action lawsuit that was filed last fall. I found all that out through my own research on the internet. Obviously, I have not repaired this yet because I don't know how I can.

- Rogers, NM, USA

Apr 302011

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper convertible. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle would make a loud noise and the power steering would fail. In addition, there was a leak coming from over the power steering pump. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred him to an authorized dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Brooklet , GA, USA

May 042011

Cooper 4WD 4-cyl

The power steering failed 2 days ago on my 2006 MINICooper S with only 36,600 miles. It's a known issue & yet BMW/MINIrefuses to address it. I was very fortunate that it happened in a parking lot & not on my daily highway commute or during my recent vacation.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Feb 092011

On February 9, 2011, we were informed by MINIservice that the seat occupancy sensor was faulty and that it would cost us $1,245 plus tax to repair as it is not covered by the warranty package which they sold us when the vehicle was purchased in 2007. Mileage of vehicle at that time was 46,810. The light indicating that there was a problem with the airbag sensor occurred months earlier, but we did not realize that it was indicative of a serious problem as small children did sit in that seat from time to time. On March 16, 2011, hydraulic power steering pump on vehicle failed. Mileage was 47,895.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Mar 122011

On Saturday afternoon, 12 March 2011, a loud, high-pitched humming or whining, serious-sounding noise developed while I was driving, the loudness (and/or the pitch) of the noise would change when I turned the steering wheel. I checked the power steering fluid level, which was ok. The night of Sunday, 13 March, I left the car at atlantic motorcar services of wiscasset, Maine 04578, which specializes in MINIand other european vehicles. The following morning I described the problem and asked them to check it out. Atlantic found "the power steering pump (epas) is defective". they replaced the epas assembly (part # 32 41 6 778 425) at a cost of $1212.49; and bled, flushed and filled the system (ps service kitbg $99). This resolved the problem.

- Newcastle, ME, USA

Feb 022011

Cooper 4-cyl

MINICooper 2006 - power steering pump failure. Feb 2nd we had a major winter storm in Kansas City, I was driving less than 10 miles /hr with about 2 feet snow my car stopped at the curb next to apt. Since then my steering which is somewhat mildly stiff for years(my friends had previously wondered if I even had power steering ) was very stiff, and made a scratching noise. I made an appointment at the MINIdealership and was told I had a mechanical breakdown power steering pump failure at 56000miles, and mine was the second car he had to change the pump on. In Aug 2010 I was told everything was perfect and in the past whenever I mentioned the steering wheel - they said its fine, no problems detected. This time they told me the fluid was low, probably leaking. If this had happened on the highway I dread to think what the consequences might have been, given from what it looks like from the class action suit that mine is not an isolated incident as I was led to believe. My insurance company person who inspected the car also stated this was unrelated to the winterstorm, and likely mechanical error.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 102011

2006 MINICooper S: power steering failure intermittent failure of power steering--at first. Very frightening experience. Very dangerous. Now there is no power steering. I've never had such an experience in any automobile. I investigated this experience online and find a number of similar experiences. I'm very troubled by such a flaw in the engineering of this vehicle.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jul 102010

Power steering fan about to fail, was advised to replace to prevent power steering pump failure. Independent mechanic made the assessment and advised the repair. This is known issue in 2004-2006+ minis and am reporting to make sure there are enough data points and consumer reports of the incidence.

- Cedar Crest, NM, USA

Nov 092010

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering pump. Complete failure while operating vehicle.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Mar 012010

The contact owns a 2006 MINICooper convertible. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph the power steering completely failed and the vehicle was difficult to control. The contact was able to continue driving. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic who advised the contact of the pricing and it was too costly. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Naples, FL, USA