2007 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mini Cooper:

2007 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Aug 062016

Car started of fire as I was driving on the interstate. Fire started in the engine compartment on the passenger side. The brakes failed as I was trying to stop the car. Had to pull the E-brake to stop and by this time the car was engulfed in flames. Passenger had to crawl out the drivers side because of the flames on that side. Luck to have gotten out as the car was completely destroyed in 10 mins

- Hastings, NE, USA

Aug 202016

We are a second owner of this MINIcooper had it about a year. Turn the car on and hear a rattle in motor. Worse when it's cold. Took it in to be checked it the timing tensioner. Apparently there has been an issue with this for sometime. Repair cost is around $2000. Car only has 76,000 miles this part should be provided under warranty. But when it breaks it affects the motor as well because it is metal it tears the motor up. Making a 10 dollar part cost thousands of dollars for repair. I don't feel like I am liable for the expense that MINIknew was a problem and never recalled.

- Gladewater, TX, USA

Jun 182015

Driving pa turnpike when my 2007 minicooper temp light came on, immediately followed the oil and engine light. As the lights appeared, the car was losing power. It lost power as I was pulling off the road. 3 minutes total. Smoke poured out. I opened the hold to see a 3 inch hole melted away. I closed the lid. Contacted MINIroadside service who would not honor the tow. Called aaa who did. Called MINIof pittsburgh, jason thompson, who only serviced my MINIfor 4 years and 35,000 miles when he first diagnosed needing a new engine. I asked manager chris lasko about any recalls" could it be a lemon" no this is unusual for a MINIwas the answer. Before authorizing repairs I asked about the electrical system and the effects of overheating. No electrical issues where found. They felt confident recommending replacing a new engine & parts. I okayed to put in all new starter, starter core, engine, engine core, engine harness, collar screw, ping sensor, intake manifold, core return gasket, ignition coils, collar screw, screw with washer, core return with heat pr, srp belt, and coolant, a water pump pulley, and few other 20 some parts to get it back on the road. A month later, I received a letter revealing a potential problem with the durability of a vapor recovery diagnostic pump on 07. Federal emissions defect warranty covers 10year or 120K miles. I called the dealer, they said that it did not pertain to my vehicle. 2015 deja vu at 64K miles. I was driving, commuting when the engine light came on again. I drove 2 miles to my MINIdealer. They said they could fix it by putting in a new engine. I had it towed home. I have called & left email's with BMW/MINIcustomer service. I have had zero reply from then. They claim to be the ultimate driving machine. As an advertising associate creative director, I think the more honest and real claim would be the ultimate farse machine.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Apr 042016

My 2007 MINICooper started to overheat, displaying both the yellow and red indication light simultaneously. I stopped, looked at the manual and it suggested that I turn the car off and let it cool off. I let my MINIcool down" and when I went to start my car it would not start up. My car immediately shut off, I called MINICooper which is 75 miles away and got my car towed. I was told my engine needs replacement for 11K. My MINIwas checked less than one month ago and I received no warning that my engine was failing. My 2007 MINIonly has 83,000 far from the expected over 100,000 life expectancy. I was told my engine failed due to low compression and the replacement of a thermostat; a thermostat that haven't been in stock for months. After googling this issue, I found hundreds of complaints for the same issue. BMW refuse to recall the thermostat or engine, and it's an outrage. To make matters worst, a fair condition, running 2007 MINIw/83,000 miles and packages value is less than 5K, a clear sign of the worth of a MINISuper sad customer.

- Westwego, LA, USA

Apr 012016

Engine was running extremely rough and very loud engine noise rattle. Took the car to MINIcooper service department in jacksonville for diagnostic they need to replace the timing chain, they want to charge me over 2,800. When my understanding this issue was addressed by a recall to be repair without charge.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 302015

Oil feed line leaking on turbo

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Loud rattling noise when accelerating coming from the engine. When I come to a complete stop car has turned off, sometimes it cranks for a bit to start up. Also while driving losses power and car decelerates slows down and also pulls like if was out of gas. White smoke when you press on gas.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 142007

I arrived in country 2007 have had problem with the ck engine light and noise from the engine, the large check engine over stering wheel blk and engine light in hector meter orange. Ive had in shop many time for this problem latest was Sept 2015 said to carbin $1232 December 2015 $599 driving minium the engine run when the car is engine is off. Also pk up hill the will move when the emg bks or up and geir in nutural.

- Rotonda West, FL, USA

Feb 162016

When I start my car while parked in my garage from cold there is a extremely loud rattle knock noise in the engine. I wait for it to warm up then I drive it there is still a loud engine noise that it make it sound like if it is a diesel engine. And afterwards the engine stalls and it looses RPM when I am driving on the highway or street making it hazardous and dangerous because the engine chokes and wants to die out on the road while I am driving it.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Feb 162016

When I start my car while parked in my garage from cold there is a extremely loud rattle knock noise in the engine. Even if I wait for it to warm up while I am driving there is still a loud engine noise that it make it should like if it is a diesel engine. And afterwards the engine stalls driving on the highway and it looses its RPM while driving making it hazardous and dangerous because it appears to die out on the road while I am driving it.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Apr 292015

Engine failure occurred when driving on major freeway at posted speed limited of 75 mph. Pulling off on slip road due to engine stopping. Only after full stop did engine warning lights come on. Checked under hood and found coolant had evacuated the system. Engine would not restart. Towed to mechanic and found that the gear shifter had worn through coolant hose due to engineering defect.

- Van, TX, USA

Dec 022015

Timing chain replaced at 32K, just failed again at 92K with mobil one oil and filter changes every 5K miles. Chain jumped in garage during shut down of engine. Would not restart. I checked spark, fuses for primary fuel pump and made a judgement that it was a failure of the high pressure fuel pump and towed it to the dealer for warranty replacement. Got the call the timing chain jumped a link and I would need a replacement again. Can't believe it. Third chain with good lubrication maintenance in under 92K.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Sep 252015

2007 MINICooper sold to me with a bad timing chain, timing tensioner, cams and engine.

- Lowell, AR, USA

Sep 012015

My 2007 MINICooper has 117K miles and was working well until the last month when it started burning oil and blowing black smoke. Then the check engine light started coming on briefly so got my mechanic to check it out today. The error code indicates the timing chain needs replacing. Costly repair at $2,000 and 2 weeks out of commission. In googling online this is a reported issue with my model MINIfor thousands of folks yet BMW /MINIhasn't issued a recall notice.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 092015

When driving down the highway at 60 mph, the engine lost power and had a hard time getting it to the nearest exit for safety. When I stopped the car I attempted to check the fluid levels but the car was too hot to check and I waited for about an hour to cool. When I was able to check all levels down, including the oil, which I just had a change in less than a week previous to this indent. The oil level was down 2 1/2 quarts and the water level was below the safety level. When I took it to my independent certified BMW mechanic, he advised that the timing belt needed to be replaced. I called BMW and MINIcorporate offices and they both stated that I should take it to the dealership and they may be able to fix at a reduce cost. Upon further questioning, and them stating that they may not assist due to age, I came to the conclusion that the likelihood of them assisting was zero. They state that the warranty was no longer covering and that the car had too many miles, 85K. I previously had the thermostat replaced, the air intake valve replaced, the oil pump replaced, and now the timing belt to the sum of $4300 in the past year and half. Will never purchase another and will never encourage anyone else to purchase a BMW or MINIproduct. I will pay and continue to drive, but will put a message on it to not ask me or comment on the "cuteness" of the car because it is a piece of junk! I would have expected to get at least 200K out of it before these major repairs should have ever occurred! very frustrated, not to mention disappointed in this high performance vehicle that sells itself with a simple drive, but mechanically is not supported by its manufacturer.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 092015

2007 MINICooper hardtop purchased May 7, 2015 suffered major engine failure due to manufacturer defective timing chain & timing tensioner issues, resulting in loud ticking inside of the engine on the passenger side..estimates totaling up to $2400 in repairs.....vehicle at this point is inoperable.

- Eastvale, CA, USA

May 012014

This is a complaint against the timing chain and tensioner for the MINIcooper which is known to be faulty. The timing chain had begin rattling and was inspected at a MINIdealership. They stated that it's a known issue with MINIRepair for this job is 3800 usd. This is a tremendous price tag.this can lead to a very very dangerous situation on the highway heading to work

- York, PA, USA

Apr 172015

Cooper 4-cyl

I was getting on interstate still on the on ramp when my MINIdied and started smoking with no warning. Had to have it towed. Insurance stated it was an electrical wire fire so it isn't covered under insurance. Can MINIpay to have it fixed? the manufacturer should be held liable. I already had to get a new water pump last year that wasn't covered either. These aren't cheap vehicles yet they expect us to pay for the mistake that we did not cause! paid $18K for this car and have put over $3K for repairs with less the 80K miles. Come on MINICooper this is terrible business! in my profession if I were to sell a defective part for an oil rig, I would have to replace it even years later. This goes for any profession!

- Oakley, KS, USA

Apr 202015

Cooper 4-cyl

I just purchased a 2007 MINICooper S and found out the timing chain needs to be replaced for the second time. I understand this is a very common fault with this car and a class action lawsuit is ongoing. I also am trying to find out if my car has actually had all recalled items repaired. Please let me know how to ascertain this information.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Apr 022015

Cooper 4-cyl

As I was driving home for easter, all of the sudden a light came on. I pulled to the side of the road and the electricity went out in my car. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. The timing chain in my car broke and caused catastrophic engine failure.

- Lubbock, TX, USA