2012 Mini Cooper brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mini Cooper:

2012 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Jun 212016

Driving 45 mph on busy city four-lane road, I braked gradually in approach to red light, which is my normal braking style. Car did not come to a complete stop--brakes only worked to a point but did not completely stop car; simultaneously engine revved to very high RPM. I threw transmission into park and turned off ignition lest my car Ram car ahead of me. Very frightening. At previous two lights I had noticed that brakes were acting funny, not bringing car to a complete stop but I had left plenty of braking distance and was able to let car roll to a stop, in spite of brakes not effecting a complete stop. At those two lights the runaway engine (high RPM) did not occur or I would have pulled over right then. However, engine revving to high RPM has also occurred occasionally when pulling into garage but I had not given this a lot of thought because I have quickly turned off ignition. Now I know it's very dangerous situation. Of course I am not driving it but am having it towed to dealer for repair. The car has been serviced regularly at dealer and has 24,239 miles on it. There has never been a necessity for repairs on this MINICooper clubman.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2012 MINICooper. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, there was a hissing noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that it was due to salt and should go away over time. However, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to another dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown but the current mileage was 18,954.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA