3.3

2009 Nissan 370Z electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan 370Z:

2009 Nissan 370Z Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 262012

370Z 6-cyl

2009 Nissan 370Z worked perfectly then wouldn't start. Found many other incidents of the same problem. The issue is a broken steering wheel lock which won't unlock. Although the same part is known to have issues in many Nissan cars, there is no recall so owner pays for an expensive part and labor.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 202012

370Z 6-cyl

In the 2009 and 2010 model years of this car (and other Nissan vehicles), the steering wheel lock assembly is known to randomly fail, leaving the car unable to start. There is no recall or tsb for this as of yet, and it has affected several Nissan vehicles including the gtr. Revisions a and B of the steering wheel lock assembly are well known to fail, and revision C is also known to fail however there are fewer occurrences. This has left me stranded and unable to get to work, and Nissan will straight up refuse to fix the problem for less than $1000.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Nov 282012

370Z 6-cyl

Parked my car at the store came pushed the start nothing. Changed the battery on the intelligent tried to start wouldn't start inserted the key into key slot nothing happened.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Nov 272012

370Z 6-cyl

Attempted to start vehicle. Keyless entry system not working. Vehicle would not start. Had car flat bed towed to Nissan. They said that it was the steering lock. There have been multiple complaints from consumers who own 2009-early 2010 Nissan 370Z. This part should be recalled by Nissan since it prevents starting the car, thereby leaving you stranded. Nissan had a recall on the gtr's but not the 370Z. This is what happens when you try to start the car. Without warning, the electric lock fails to unlock, sending error message to the BCM. The car will not start in this case and will flash the intelligent key warning in the cluster. Nissan is well aware of the faulty locks they installed and choose to ignore it. They stopped using these locks ( revb, revc etc) on the 2012 Z's entirely.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA

Nov 222012

370Z 6-cyl

Car will not start, had to be towed to Nissan, my 2009 370Z had a electric steering lock problem. Part with labor will be around $1000. There have been several complaints on this same issue and should have been recalled by now!! will be looking further into this problem Nissan should be at fault 100%.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Nov 222012

370Z 6-cyl

On 11/22/2012 I attempted to start my vehicle and it would not start, or go into accesory mode. The car was towed to the dealership and determined to be caused by a faulty steering lock actuator. The car has under 19.000 miles.

- Neshanic Station, NJ, USA

Nov 142012

370Z 6-cyl

The steering lock assembly went out, which causes the car to not start at all. It leaves you stranded. Reading through forums and talking to other 370Z owners this is a common problem that needs to be recalled. You cant start your car or even turn it to accessory, which means if you break down away from home you cant even charge your phone to be able to call for help. The part is quite expensive and there are ways to disable it. I feel that if this issue is happening with so many of these cars it needs to be replaced free of cost.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Nov 252012

370Z

Car was parked at a local coffee shop. Suddenly the steering lock, part of the starting system went haywire and disabled the car completely. Now the car can't be turned on even though the key is in the car and the battery is full. I believe NHTSA needs to be made aware of this issue as it is a safety concern since every 370Z is at risk of this problem, leaving all potential owners stranded. I believe Nissan is aware of this problem as the Nissan GT-R had a campaign to replace the very same part. It is called a steering lock.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Nov 172012

370Z 6-cyl

Car won't start, intelligent "key" light is on in the dash. Ignition button has the "lock" lit up. Headlights, dome lights, and doors unlock without problem. Car just won't start. Tried spare fob key, and placed into fob part, still won't start. Read on forums, common problem amongst early 370Z, ipdm or steering lock assembly faulty. Being replaced under recall for gtr but not the 370Z. Module has been replace on newer 370zs.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 072012

370Z 6-cyl

I went to start my car with push button start and nothing happened. There was a light on the dashboard with a key symbol. I called the Nissan dealer, they said I would have to have my car towed. They called me later that day and said it had a bad steering wheel lock mechanism. I know Nissan is having problems with the 2009 370Z wheel lock mechanisms. There is no recall at the moment.

- Newark, DE, USA

Oct 302012

370Z 6-cyl

After work, tried starting my 370Z and it would not start, leaving me stranded. Tried other key fob, same issue. Had car towed to the Nissan dealer who identified the issue as steering lock failure: $750 part +$50 overnight + $100 labor + tax = $960 total cost. Nissan has replaced the part on the 2009 GT-R but apparently is doing nothing for the Z owners with same issue. Nissan will not cover the part since I am 18000 miles over warranty, yet many owners have had same failure/repair as evidenced by the forums online. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1800nissan1 and have started a "case" but do not expect resolution. They agreed to reimburse for a rental car up to 2 days $70 max. Meanwhile they will send a rep to review my car's diagnosis prior to instructing the dealer to complete repairs within the next 2 days. I find it interesting perusing all the other reported incidents on your site, there are quite a few reported in the month of October, 2012. There needs to be an official recall of this faulty expensive part in the 370Z.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 062012

370Z 6-cyl

Lock set - steering models jf00A, jf00B and jf00C are faulty. Recall was done on Nissan GT-R for the faulty part. The same part is in the 2009-11 370Z and suffers the same defects but was not included in the recall. Car will not start with a faulty lock set - steering. Part is known to be defective as indicated by the recall from Nissan (campaign id# P0309) for the identical part in the 2009 GT-R. Nissan must recall this faulty part in the 370Z and reimburse customers who have paid for costly repairs and/or replacement parts due to a part know to Nissan (as evidenced by the GT-R recall) to be faulty.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Oct 022012

Steering lock fail.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012012

370Z 6-cyl

The 370Z uses a keyless ignition system. The system failed and I am no longer able to start the car. I am being told by the dealer that it is the electronic steering lock system. There are many many other 2009-2010 370Z owners that are experiencing this same issue at aprox 30-40K miles. This appears to be a manufacturer defect.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Dec 072009

370Z 6-cyl

Fuel sending unit failure. Fuel gage will not read the correct amount of fuel in tank. Issues has been getting progressively worse for more than 2 years. Both fuel sending units are scheduled for replacement by Nissan dealer. This is a very common problem. See the following sites for other examples. www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-warranty-scheduled-maintenance-servicing-repairs/26917-fuel-gauge-not-lighting-all-way-up.html and www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-warranty-scheduled-maintenance-servicing-repairs/24770-fuel-sender-problemo.html.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 242012

370Z 6-cyl

The story goes like this www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-general-discussions/48434-Z-looked-awesome-tow-truck-sarcastic.html. www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-general-discussions/48442-those-you-who-have-had-steering-lock-failure.html my story with my car is I had the key light come on about a month ago started researching found the forum and saw it was a common issue with my year so I sent a email to Nissan who basically gave me the run around saying we never have heard of it... so I went to the dealer had my remote key batteries replaced after they said that they would have to keep it for 3 days to do test... well I need my car to get to work so I left and would come back when I had time well about 1 week later I was at a home depot parking lot and it failed I could not start the car I was stuck long story shot after good help from Nissan I got it towed to a dealer and its going to sit there for about a week to a month because their systems were down and they could not tell how long the part that I mentioned (the steering lock ) was gonna take according to the forum its taken some people a month to get it please get this recalled... my dad hasn't yet but he has the year after mine so I want to get his fixed as well.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Dec 162011

370Z 6-cyl

I was routinely driving to work on a Friday. I stopped to get gas. The car wouldn't start once I was done and a yellow/amber intelligent key light was on. I get a tow to the nearby Nissan dealership and they told me it's a steering wheel lock. They said it's happening on quite a few cars and that an Altima and another 370Z have been having the same issue and are waiting for the same part. I'm still waiting on the part and it happened over a month ago. This faulty part from the factory has been going out routinely for everyone who owns a 09-10 370Z, Altima and other Nissan vehicles that use the same steering wheel lock technology. It's absolutely enraging that Nissan is releasing these parts (knowing they're bad as they've made revisions on the newer 370Z) and forcing customers to pay for this out of pocket and wait a month to get the part. Check this forum for further confirmation: www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-warranty-scheduled-maintenance-servicing-repairs/12294-intelligent-key-system-warning-light.html.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Nov 252011

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock solenoid failure at 38.5K 1,500miles after 36K warranty. After dealership played parts changer for 3 weeks they finally worked up to the steering lock solenoid. Steering lock assm. $542 - $622 - #48700-jf00B production date: 2008.10-2009.08 - #48700-jf00C production date: 2009.08-2009.10 - #48700-jf00C production date: 2009.10-2010.09 - #48700-jf00D production date: 2010.09- current (you want this one "D") obviously this part has gone through revisions. Total repair $837 - 3 weeks in the shop. Had to have car towed to dealer after the "yellow" key light showed up. This part has failed on many Nissan models with this type of electronic steering wheel lock. This needs to be a recall and anyone who paid to have it fixed needs to be reimbursed. A class action lawsuit need to be filed.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Dec 022011

370Z

Yellow key light illuminated when car was started, even though had key fob in pocket. Went to dinner and upon returning to car, it would not start. Would not do anything, no response to depressing start button. Stranded with wife in 22 degree cold. Had to have it towed to dealer the next day. Ipdm had to be replaced. This is a very common problem with this car. If you google the problem, there are tons of folks out there that have had the same problem. This is common in many of the Nissan models that use the intellikey system. My take on it is the steering pin is not disengaging releasing it from the locked position causing a burn out of the ipdm. Probably due to stress placed on the steering wheel when entering and exiting the car.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 102011

370Z

Got the car in 09 Nissan 370Z. First month ac went out. It been fix about 10X. They told me that it fixed for sure this time. (been over two years for it to be fix. Not sure it fix or not bc it still at the dealer) transmission replaced within 4 months of owning the car and throw out bearing. Transmission been look at about 4X. About two months ago my car turned off while at a stop light and 3 weeks ago I was going 55 mph and the car shut off on me while driving. I didn't have any power steering or brakes. Thank god I was able to stop. I took the car to the dealer ship and have them look at it. It took them over two weeks and couldn't find out what was wrong with it. Then they called a master tech to look at my car. He said the cause of the car to turn off bc of my aftermarket intake but I told him it turn off before I had that install onto my car. So I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs. The tech and Nissan Consumer Affairs both told me to drive the car with my stock intake back on. Both did not care for my safety of driving the car.

- Manassas , VA, USA