2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid:

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 152015

Altima Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima hybrid. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated while driving approximately 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor in the passenger side seat needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired however the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Oct 012009

Altima Hybrid

I purchased a 2009 Nissan Altima in Sept. 2009. I noticed immediately that the passenger airbag remains off 50% of the time when my girlfriend (approx. 100 pounds) sits in it. I tried to follow up with the dealership where I purchased the car and a separate dealer as well. My dealership where I purchased the vehicle told me it was a common problem and that there is no way to leave the airbag on or to adjust the sensitivity. He also stated that other people had similar complaints. I tried bringing it in to another dealership, who told me that at least 2 or 3 people had brought their cars in with the same complaint and Nissan could not resolve the problem. The frequency of this problem seems relatively common. How can such a hazardous situation be in compliance with NHTSA standards? even if it is safe for 99% of the population, the lack of control by the NHTSA is severely endangering the lives of the other 1%. I am only one person and hope that the NHTSA helps issue a recall on this problem. I do not want to spend the time and effort to explore media outlets and am really hopeful that this can be addressed. I cannot imagine the lawsuits that would result from an airbag not deploying when I see this complaint all over message boards and on the NHTSA site. Please help us protect our loved ones.

- Oakland, CA, USA