2009 Nissan Cube engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Cube:

2009 Nissan Cube Owner Comments

Oct 122015

This car since purchase has had the transmission replaced four times. When the transmission fails the car coasts to a stop which on the highway is a danger as the car is susceptible to be hit by other cars. In addition when the transmission fails the engine stops and the braking system is rendered inoperable the only way to stop the car is via the emergency break. The transmission failure in these cars is a known problem as nisan has extended the warranty T ten years. When the transmission failed on my son he was on the highway and barely made it to the breakdown lane without getting hit. This is a serious safety issue due to the fact if the disabled car is hit it could cause fatalities due to the failure of the systems.

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA

Jul 012015

Muffler weld separated (no rust or external damage) at the mid pipe causing muffler to tilt and start to melt the rear bumper cover mounts and bumper cover. Muffler then separated completely causing loud noise and possible exhaust gas to enter cabin. Contacted Nissan and was told there was no issue and Nissan would not do anything to correct or help with cost

- Mineral, VA, USA

Mar 012012

My wife's 2009 Nissan Cube has had intermittent issues with the vehicle shutting off. It has happened a few times in rush hour traffic on the highway to and from work and most recently in a parking lot (luckily) it locked up completely. Most times she describes it like it is stalling, where she is able to move off to the side of the road and is able to restart the car after a minute or two. A few times however after coming to a complete stop, everything locked up. Car wouldn't start, steering wheel locked, brake pedal wouldn't even budge. After a minute, it started right back up. When we took it to the dealer, they could find nothing wrong and just ended up costing us "diagnostic fees". reading through other complaints on here about this same exact issue, I find it hard to believe that Nissan is not aware of something of this magnitude. Searching the web returns no type of help whatsoever. How are we supposed to just accept a vehicle that randomly shuts off, the results of which could be fatal? there has to be something that can be done.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Jan 232015

Cube 4-cyl

Excessive and accelerated exhaust system corrosion. Muffler mounting to exhaust pipe rusted completely through and fell apart. Heat shield mounting brackets rusted through causing heat shield to separate from vehicle. Exhaust fumes entering driving compartment and dangerous to occupants.

- Fort Belvoir, VA, USA

Aug 112014

Cube 4-cyl

I put my car into drive and than put my foot on the gas and nothing happened. I looked down and I was in "D" after a few seconds I shifted into low and nothing happened. After a few seconds the car took off. I was so scared. I slammed on the brakes. I tried again, I put the car into drive and sat there, than it inched along and than took off again like I was on a roller coaster. Luckily I was a block from the dealer. So I drove it there on a wing and a prayer. It took me at least 10 mins. I had to make a turn and other drivers were going around me. Because my car wasn't moving. All of a sudden it took off and I almost broadsided a car. You can imagine the suggestions I got. The dealer had it for 2 days and said they can't find anything wrong with. I'm going to bring it to another mechanic and see if he can find whats wrong.

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jul 092014

Cube 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Nissan Cube. The Cube was at the dealership for maintaince. I was informed that the Cube has a exhaust leak, was told it is not covered under the emission warranty. I asked more questions about the issue, an was told by the dealership that it is a rust issue and not covered. I was told that they do not have the part. I again asked about the emission warranty, was told it did not apply. According to the warranty which is cover up to 80K miles for emission issues, but because of "rust" it is not covered. I do not agree with this and I call the 1 800 number and reported it. Today the next day I was contacted and persson said, or agreed with the dealership. I looked up complaints and recalls, there are several complaints. There is one in which it referrs to a "corroded" part. What is the difference between a part that is "corroded" part that may fail and a part that has rust and broken causing a exhaust leek. They Nissan and the dealership are using a play on words to avoid making the repairs under the emission warranty. I was told it is okay to drive and polute the enviroment since they will not cover it and they did not have the parts. After speaking with the rep from Nissan he had a whole lot more info about the repair than was listed on my copy of the repair order. There are four major componets of a exhaust system on most cars. The manifold, the down pipe, the mid pipe and the muffler. The "corroded part" or rust caused one the conection to leek. Now I am being told that 2 parts need to be replaced and the cost is over 1K, which I have no infor on my invoice or repair order about. The only recomendation was 'ehaust leak 395.00" I know that dealships replace parts that have rust and or are corroded because I work for one, frames and rusted bolts. How can one replace parts and the other not.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Dec 172012

Personal research was done on the internet to find how this happened on other Nissan, the versa, the Altima, and now the Cube. Unfortunately, this can cause a wreck because the parts can fall onto the road from a speeding car, and hit another car on the highway. The issue is with the weld, and the bead of the factory muffler being connected to the exhaust pipe by a flange it is welded to. The flange becomes unwelded to the pipe by either rust perforation through salt on the road in snow areas, by a cheap weld, or insufficient bracing of the exhaust system components. It has been read that Nissan Canada fixes these free based on a good will effort to keep customers. However, it is unseen and unknown if this problem will be addressed by any recall in the usa. A simple fix could be applied if it is due to rust perforation, put a seal over the flange to keep salt out. Or make it a one pipe system. Or brace it more sufficiently so that it doesn't fall apart so easily as the pressure and weight of the exhaust pipe system is supported. Therefore, this seems like it should be addressed and owners should be notified so that the driver doesn't cause an unnecessary wreck in the snow, or other normal operation as the pipe could fall off. In summary, the weld of the muffler to the exhaust pipe flange breaks apart too easily as previously known in versa and now the Cube.

- Zoar, OH, USA