3.1

2010 Nissan Cube steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Cube:

2010 Nissan Cube Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Cube

My car starts when it feels like it. I've been stranded at the store after dropping off a child at sports practice, stranded in my own garage unable to take my child to school or get to work. It appears to be the steering lock mechanism issue that abounds in the 2010 Cube. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I now have to phone a friend and tell them I'm leaving and where I'm going in case I get stranded and can't make it back!

- Rockford, IL, USA

Sep 172016

Cube

I recently had my steering lock mechanism go out on my 2010 Nissan Cube and leave me stranded. I had my vehicle towed because it would no longer start thinking it was a safety issue. =$$ no other dealerships would look at it because it was what seemed an electrical issue, I had to take it to Nissan dealership to diagnose this problem. I was quoted $950 for it to get fixed. Upon doing research I realized this same part was recalled on the 2009S. I also found many other complaints about this same issue and how Nissan was not taking care of their customers. I took my issue to Nissan corporate to get it resolved but they said at this time they could not take responsibility for it because there were "revisions" done to this part. Obviously it is still a problem. It also was said that they could not help with any financial assistance. Very disappointed with Nissan and will never buy from they again, further recommend their business or customer service. Clearly they do not have any. Do not buy Nissan anything. They will not take responsibility for recalled parts and do the right thing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 282016

Cube

Electronic steering column lock (escl) was malfunctioning, as diagnosed by a Nissan dealer. The car was parked at my job and would not start. The brake pedal was pressed but was locked as well as the steering wheel in locked position. A solid orange key icon on the dash had started flashing. The car was towed to Nissan. This is the same issue that the 2009 Cubes were recalled for. It is the same part and same issue with my 2010 Cube. Paying $1000 for an issue that Nissan is already aware of is ridiculous. Nissan should be held accountable for every model affected by this problem, and not just the 2009S.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Cube

Electronic steering column lock (escl) was malfunctioning, as diagnosed by a Nissan dealer. The car was parked on the side of the road, and it would not start, no engine, or into acc mode because the escl did not sense the brake pedal being pressed or the wheel in locked position. Pushing the brake pedal too start the car did nothing, and engine start button did not work but a solid amber key icon on the dash board would come up and disappear. The car had to be towed to the dealership. Did some research, and it turns out that Nissan had problems w 2009 same escl part = steering lock part# on my unit - we have photos -487001fa0B manufacture date 09-30-09 the same as the only Cube model year recalled.- from 2009-2010 including Cube 2009 and Altima/maxima 2010 which seemed to share the same escl part used my Cube 2010 which is not part of the recall. Dealer wants over $800 too fix a know defect. There are many resources online (facebook, youtube, web forums) where people driving models other than Altima and maxima experience the exact same problem, yet Altima and maxima owners get warranty extensions and everyone else gets saddled with a $800 repair bill or more. Nissan should be held accountable for every model affected by this problem, not just two models and just one model year when the 2010's have the same issue and part. Our Cube has 47,000 miles -

- Watertown, CT, USA

Jan 052015

Cube

The steering wheel lock went out on the coldest day of the year, there is a recall on the 09 Cube and 10 maximas and Altima, and many many complaints of this happening on the 10 Cube, however Nissan will not cover the faulty part they have in so many of these cars in this range of years including this one. When this part goes out you cannot start the vehicle leaving you stranded and an tow bill plus $870 to fix a part Nissan already knows is faulty.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Dec 262014

Cube 4-cyl

Electronic steering column lock (escl) was malfunctioning, as diagnosed by a Nissan dealer. The car was parked in a parking garage, and it would not start, no engine, or into acc mode because the escl did not sense the brake pedal being pressed or the wheel in an unlocked position. The brake pedal was stiff, and engine start button did not work. A solid amber key icon on the dash board would come up and disappear. The car had to be towed to the dealership. Did some research, and it turns out that Nissan had problems w several escl parts revised over time in various models from 2009-2010 including Cube 2009 and Altima/maxima 2010 which seemed to share the same escl part used in Cube 2010. Waiting to hear from the dealer if Nissan covers for this issue.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jun 122014

Cube

My car would not start due to anti theft mechanism failure in steering column. This was an unexpected problem requiring towing and not helped by battery jump. Meaning, if the car is turned off in extreme weather with a car load of kids and no phone service the occupants could be in life threatening danger.

- American Canyon, California, CA, USA

Mar 312014

Cube

I couldn't start my car. Lights, horn etc. Were working. After hrs. Of research (@ home, online) couldn't resolve the problem so had it towed to poughkeepsie Nissan. Discovered it was the steering lock control unit. I see that Nissan has had many problems & even recalls with this. $801 and 2 days later got my car back. Very disappointed with this problem as it seems Nissan has been aware.

- Ppughkeepsie, NY, USA

Mar 252014

Cube 4-cyl

There is a known issue with the Nissan electronic steering column lock used on cars manufactured in model years 2009-2010. The lock engages and makes cars with push-button ignitions impossible to start. There is a warranty extension for the 2009-2010 Altima and maxima, but no other models are covered, even though other models use the same part and experience the same problem. Nissan should be responsible for the repair of this part because it is caused by abuse or misuse, but simply mechanical/electrical failure. There are many resources online (facebook, youtube, web forums) where people driving models other than Altima and maxima experience the exact same problem, yet Altima and maxima owners get warranty extensions and everyone else gets saddled with a $1000 repair bill. Nissan should be held accountable for every model affected by this problem, not just two models.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 242014

Cube

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Cube. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the electronic steering lock had failed. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000. Updated 7/25/14

- Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Jan 182014

Cube 4-cyl

My 2010 has done this to me twice now!!! I go to get in and start it up. Nothing happens. Replaced with brand new battery and nothing happened. Had to have it towed to the dealer for inspection. Turns out the steering lock assembly malfunctioned. Nissan issued a similar recall for the same exact issue on all 2009 models as well as other models with same device. But not 2010 models and would not honor the recall. It is now costing me $700 to repair a faulty lock assembly that they know has malfunctioned in other models!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA