1.8

2001 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Frontier:

2001 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments

Sep 032013

Frontier

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Frontier. While the vehicle was being refueled, fuel leaked from the filler neck. The dealer diagnosed that the part needed to repair the vehicle was no longer in production. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Jan 182006

Frontier 4WD 6-cyl

On above approximate date I started to smell fuel coming out from my truck every time the tank was at full capacity. Since then engine light will never come off. I took for repair several times. Change oxygen sensor, gas cap, thermostat, carbon canister and solenoid. I contacted Nissan but I was told that there were no recalls for my vehicle.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

Frontier 6-cyl

My car wouldn't start. Battery was fine..passengers had recently said that they noticed a fuel smell, but I can't smell (a physical handicap of mine).; called aaa- it was then that we noticed that fuel was leaking out of the top of the gas tank, the fuel pump wire that supplies power to the fuel pump was broken. Car had to be towed to a local garage. Called Nissan dealer and he said 'your car is old, just replace the fuel tank. But, the design of the gas tank is such that there is a 'gully' where water gets trapped on the design of the top of the fuel tank. Nissan refuses to admit that this is a design flaw that is causing the top of the fuel tanks to corrode; and this is indeed a safety issue! as a mechanical engineer who specializes in metals, it is definitely a poor design; I have owned and worked on cars my entire life, and have never seen a fuel tank corrode through. All of the local mechanics/garages in my area tell me "this is a common problem in Nissan Frontiers- we fix them all of the time."

- Southbury, CT, USA