1. replace the gas tank (3 reports)
2004 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Frontier:

2004 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments

Aug 202012

Frontier XE 4WD 3.2L V6

Went thru several months of evaporation problems with this truck. I replaced gas cap 2x, fuel filters, various bits and pieces before finally being diagnosed with rusting gas tank. it was full of pinholes. Why Nissan wouldn't cover this with a recall really angers me. It's also a huge problem on the 2005 trucks according to my research.

I love my truck, but this is the first time I've ever had to replace a gas tank on any vehicle I've owned, including Fiats and MGs.

- , Leesburg, VA, USA

Jan 152010

Frontier XE 3.3L V6

A 2004 Nissan 4x4 XE quad cab in excellent cosmetic condition, except for the usual rusted out bumper. I can accept the problems with the Nissan truck like the Knock Sensor going bad which EVERYONE who owns a Nissan probably has. The front end wearing prematurely, the hood latch falling apart in my hand etc. But the gas tank rusting through and giving an EVAP code which turned on the "Service Engine Soon" light is too much. Nissan should step up and take care of this issue. Nobody should have a bad gas tank like this on a vehicle regardless of age let alone a few years old. Nissan brags about high mileage capable cars, but who cares if there are dangerous fumes emitting from the gas tank. Nissan dealers are very unconcerned about the problem and simply stick out their hands for cash. Well I am back to Honda's, and Nissan has a bad reputation coming out of me every time the topic of cars/trucks arise. Honda's break too but they put out "service bulletins" and take care of the issues when you go into the dealership of their own accord (no pun intended). Anyway furious at Nissan and I can't believe they would risk a news story when someone explodes from a leaking gas tank. This is just TOO MUCH!!!!

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 012010

Frontier LX 3.2L

I can't believe it but we need to have our gas tank replaced! The vehicle was driving rough since about November and the check engine light kept coming on. Our local Nissan dealership charged us to do the diagnostics and said that the truck was okay but if the light comes on again to bring it back. The light came back on and my husband brought it back and was told the gas tank rusted! It's only a 6 year old vehicle, how does that happen? The tech first said it wasn't covered under the extended warranty but my husband knew that it was so the tech checked (he should have done that in the first place) and said it was covered. He ordered the gas tank and we are waiting for it to come in.

Can anyone please tell me if there are other similar problems with their Nissans? I never heard of a fairly newer vehicle having a rusted gas tank. I bought many vehicles in the past, both old and new, and never had a problem like this before.

- , Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA