1.6

hardy worth mentioning

2005 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Frontier:

2005 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 012013

Frontier

Driving down the road at 50 and suddenly as im going up a hill the truck bucks like its running out of gas and then suddenly I lose all forward power no symptoms previously just up and stopped the engines still running but not power come to find out its a transmission failure from what my tech said its a very common problem with certain 2005 and newer Nissan models said the radiator transmission and transmission controller atm may need to be replaced. I would of never bought this truck if I new about this horrendous oversight in the manufacture of these vehicles and of Nissan continued lack of attention to this common and very painful problem

- Prague, OK, USA

Oct 282013

Frontier

The transmission failed caused by a ruptured seal in the radiator.

- Payson, UT, USA

Dec 312012

Frontier

I was going to yuma AZ, when all of the sudent the car started to loose speed whike the rmp was going crazy, we almost got hit by a hugh commercial truck, since then I have had a lots of problems with the trans, right now I have to buy the valve body!

- Calexico, CA, USA

Aug 062013

Frontier

Radiator ruptured and coolant leaked into transmission causing transmission problems and had to be fixed. Transmission performance declined and then could not drive vehicle.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Sep 182013

Frontier

After accelerating up to 50mph I let up off of the gas and then the transmission kicked in again and caused me to go lunge forward. I thought that I had been rear ended but there was no one behind me and obviously no damage to my vehicle. It felt as if I had a standard and had revved up the engine and popped the clutch. This is very unsafe especially if I had been an inexperienced driver. Nissan had a class action lawsuit out for this but it only covered up to 100,000 miles, although they knew about this being a manufacturer's defect. I took this to the Nissan dealer and had to pay them $119 to diagnose the problem and tell me that it would cost me $5600 plus tax. I don't have this to pay on a manufacturer's defect that causes a safety hazard. I hope no one is killed before Nissan is made to fix this problem.

- Fayetteville , NC, USA

Jun 122013

Frontier

After buying the truck from a dealership, I was driving home. I got about 5 miles from the dealership when the vehicle started shaking. I took it to a Nissan dealership to who confirmed what I was afraid of. There was coolant in the transmission fluid. We submitted it to the warranty company that I had purchased a warranty from when I bought the truck only to find out that since the transmission failure was due to an uncovered part(oil cooler) they would not honor the warranty. After doing more research on the problem and seeing as many claims of this issue how has Nissan not recalled the transmission? it is obvious that this normally does not normally happen until after the extended warranty ends. Like everyone else I am looking at a $6000+ repair bill, and until I can come up with that money I have to look outside at my $12,000 lawn ornament...

- Franklin, WV, USA

Aug 312007

Frontier

At the time of the transmission failure I had no prior signs of a problem. As I was merging on to the 4 lane at a speed of about 45-50 mph the truck began shaking violently. I thought I had gotten some bad fuel because I had just filled the fuel. The shaking somewhat smoothed out at about 60 mph, though the truck was lacking normal power, and would shudder when pulling a grade. I drove the truck about 10 miles and stopped to get some fuel treatment because I still thought I was having fuel problems. At this point the truck began to act as if the transmission was in neutral, then the transmission would grab and jar the truck violently. At this time I was in heavy traffic and nearly hit. I barely got the truck to my mechanic. Further inspection by my mechanic showed antifreeze in the transmission. I had to have the transmission totally rebuilt and replaced the radiator, at a cost of about $4,000. About a year prior I had the transmission flushed, replaced filter and fluid as preventative maintenance. The truck has been maintained properly because I planned to keep the truck for long term. My truck is past the warranty so total cost is incurred by me.

- Webster, NC, USA

May 252011

Frontier

My truck first started shuddering on acceleration in 2011 at 68,000 miles. I checked it out and found foamy coolant and strawberry like milkshake in my transmission. Since it was out of warranty I tried to save it by changing the fluid and doing the bypass which worked for a while. Soon after I received a notice that they extended the warranty on this issue (making it within warranty). I then took it to the Nissan dealer to have them check it out, they said they checked the pressure on the radiator and said everything was fine. Now 2 years later at 100,000 miles my truck can't shift into overdrive. This is very upsetting and I feel you guys should be responsible for fixing this problem. All these vehicles should be recalled!

- Stockton , CA, USA

Aug 202013

Frontier

Started it up... hardly moved. Squeaking sound under the hood. Looks like the infamous radiator leak into the transmission....

- North Wales, PA, USA

Aug 182013

Frontier

The truck lurched ahead while at a stop light, just missing a pedestrian. Took the car to the Nissan dealership today. Was told that coolant from a cracked radiator had ruined the transmission and repair would be $5700. Car was in perfect condition and always dealer maintained. Dealership said they could do nothing as far as warranty. They gave me Nissan North America's number. They refused to do anything. This is a defect. Not a worn out part. This vehicle should be recalled. Not safe.

- Cape Elizabeth, ME, USA

Feb 122013

Frontier

I was driven @ 45 mph I fell the roughness of the truck, I took the truck to the dealer the technician said that the transmission got mixed up w/ the coolant and they told me that it need to replace the transmission and radiator. Anyway I purchased outside extended warranty for my truck last year and I cannot used it because their policy that it doesn't cover cooling system. I call North Nissan they said they give us extended warranty for me is not the warranty it is manufacture defect pls. Help me that Nissan will fix the problem.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Aug 062013

Frontier

Sudden loss of power/stalling. Check engine light came on as well as anti-slip light. Took vehicle same day to Nissan dealership. Truck actually stalled on the way to the dealership however I was able to get it started again. Diagnosed the problem as a bad cam shaft sensor. Sensor was replaced. They also mentioned that transmission fluid was contaminated with engine coolant. Suggested repair was to replace the radiator and the transmission-$4800. I chose to just replace the cam sensor. Three days later, 8/9, lost power at highway speed. Radiator and hoses leaked and had to be towed to dealership. Again dealership suggested replacing the radiator as well as the transmission. Replaced radiator and hoses, flushed transmission twice. I plan to dispose the truck. There were no warning signs prior to these two incidents. My opinion is that this is definitely a manufacturing/engineering defect.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 162011

Frontier 6-cyl

Three days after receiving the letter from Nissan regarding the "possible" problem with the radiator failing I was on my way to work and my truck started to shudder at about 45mph. I pulled off the road but could not see anything wrong. I then had it checked out and found out about the radiator failing and damaged the transmission resulting in a total rebuild! called Nissan and after 3 weeks of back and forth talks of "seeing what we can do for you" the end result was sorry theirs nothing we can do for you! if this problem would of happen on an interstate highway with my family along I hate to think what could have happened!

- Lake City, PA, USA

Jun 032011

Frontier

My slip started to go on and it would down shift and sometimes stall. I needed brakes so I went to tony Nissan to have my brakes done and the slip checked out and they called me and said that a transmission line inside my radiator cracked and was leaking into my transmission and I needed to replaced both ( $9000 dollars that I don't have.) Nissan has extended it's warrant to 10 years and 100000 miles, but my truck has over 147000 miles. This is not my fault as it is due to a faulty radiator that they knew about. It's just not right, I drive a lot do to my work. I don't know what to do. Please help.. I do not know the VIN number it is at the Nissan dealer having my brakes done.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Jul 122013

Frontier 6-cyl

I started noticing my automatic Nissan Frontier having problems shifting gears around November of 2012. I eventually took the truck into a dealership to take a look at it after receiving paperwork in regards to a lawsuit Nissan is encountering due to radiator leaks. When I took the truck into the dealer they told me this did not have anything to do with radiator leak. They quoted me 5,000 in repairs. I did not have the money to fix the problem so I continued to drive it until July 12th it finally gave out. I was getting off of the freeway and as I was stopping at the red light to get off of the freeway the truck started to feel like it was going to give and it started shaking, it jerked suddenly and almost caused the car behind me to crash into my bumper, I put a little more gas into the truck and made it into the parking lot of the nearest place around. As I was going to park it finally gave out for good. I called a local towing company and they took the car back my house, I called up a mechanic to come to the house and examine the truck and he advised me of the radiator leak, the one the Nissan dealership denied having. I am very upset that they lied to me as well as Nissan only extending the warranty to 80,000 miles when most people are experiencing this problem after that. I have aprox 118,000 miles, I will look for a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit against Nissan.

- Lancaster , CA, USA

Jul 092013

Frontier 6-cyl

Took my Frontier to the local Nissan dealer for transmission flush. I was told by the service manager that this service could not be completed due radiator coolant leaking into my transmission. Through research, I have found many owners of Frontiers have reported the same transmission issue and have share this issue with Nissan. There were no warning signs and no support to owners like myself with trucks over a 100,000 miles. It appears Nissan has been aware of this transmission/radiator issue with this vehicle and their SUVS for some time. This defect is a major safety concern and very costly for owners to correct. Thank you for your time and support.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Jul 052013

Frontier 6-cyl

Vehicle shuddered and lost acceleration when passing another vehicle. Vehicle following behind had to make panic stop in order to avoid collision with rear of my vehicle. Was advised by a mechanic that this vehicle has a known transmission failure issue.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Jul 022013

Frontier 6-cyl

I brought my truck into the Nissan dealer after transmission problems. Nissan acknowledged that there is a known defect with the 2005 Frontier that causes cross contamination between the radiator and transmission. Despite only being 6K over the 80K free repair, I had to pay $2500 out of pocket for deductible. This seems unreasonable as it is a known defect affecting 2005-2009 Frontiers and xterras.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Frontier 6-cyl

The radiator developed a crack and cause fluid to leak into the transmission lines causing a failure to both pieces of equipment. This could have been avoided if Nissan would have warned me about issues concerning this failure that is occurring in lots of similar models.

- Saint Joseph , IL, USA

Jun 232013

Frontier

My 2005 Frontier has never given me any problems until 2 days ago. The transmission started messing up. I came upon a 4 way stop & when I went to cross the road it was like I had it in neutral. I pulled over & stopped then tried to start again & it did the same thing. I've since heard & read about all the problems involving the coolant & transmission. The quotes I have received to fix this are outrageous. Nissan should recall these vehicles because they know they have a problem with them. Not a happy customer anymore.

- Ripley, MS, USA