Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In a very limited selection on small pickup trucks, the Frontier is one of the best options except -- and I cannot emphasize this enough -- for one problem that makes it an avoid-at-all-costs pain in you know what: the radiator ruptures and leaks coolant into the transmission, killing it. Such a buzzkill.

This problem affects most 2005-2008 (and maybe beyond) Frontiers.

2005 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Frontier:

2005 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments

Jun 152014

Nissan Frontier 2005 truck: Fuel tank sending unit started showing variable fuel levels, fluctuating wildly, then completely stopped functioning. This after some 75,000 miles. No prior warning. No extreme use conditions, just normal everyday driving on this vehicle. Dealer refused replacement because it was over 75,000 miles.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Apr 132016

Vehicle shut off while driving on the highway. I was driving down the highway at 65 mph when the truck made a quick jerk and them completely shut off. I came very close to causing a highway pile up!! I had no power, no steering no nothing. Luckily I was able to get across 3 lanes safely. Cars were slamming on brakes and luckily I didnt kill myself or anyone else. Once I got the the side of the road I was able to get the truck going and safely get to an exit. I creeped home on a wing a prayer and now the truck is sitting in my driveway. I dont dare to use it and I need it. I am scared to drive it, ithas given me anxiety, it was horrific. My truck has 94220 miles on it.

- Wells, ME, USA

Feb 032016

My trucks fuel gauge does not register, I understand there was a recall. So I called 2 dealers they told me that my VIN/truck is not covered. But what I've seen is that it is an accident waiting to happen. It does it all the time, parked, on the streets or freeway which I drive daily for work. No injury, crash or fatality yet. I love my truck, work in a level 1 trauma center, I see many car accident victim's when it could have been avoided, like with me now. Please help me I would be forever grateful!! I pray Nissan will do what is right!!

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Dec 012014

Frontier 6-cyl

#1recently I noticed that my fuel gauge has been unreliable. It will show the actual fuel amount, then it will show that there is no fuel in the tank just a few moments later. Sometimes this issue lasts for a week where it shows the fuel tank to be empty while it is full. Also there is a check engine light that accompanies. #2 I live in Alaska and require the defroster vent to work in the winter. This winter starting in December I noticed that air will not blow out of the defroster vent below the windshield. I have tried numerous selections on the dial/controls without resolve. It also makes a "bubbling and clicking sound" that to me sounds mechanical in the dashboard, when the vent is trying to change from the floor vent, to the head vents, and then up to the windshield vent.

- Sitka, AK, USA

Feb 162015

Driving along at 65 miles per hour seemed like transmission went into neutral and engine revved up. Rolled to side of road. Truck would no longer move. Had truck towed to garage where they informed me that the transmission had coolant in it and had wiped it out. To replace trans and radiator was 5300 dollars.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Sep 162014

Frontier 6-cyl

Fuel gauge readings inaccurate. Gauge reads that there is approximately 1/4 tank of fuel when in fact the tank is close to or completely empty.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Aug 152013

Frontier 6-cyl

My Nissan Frontier truck's "check engine soon" light appeared. The warning was dtc P0463 (fuel level sensor circuit high input). It corresponds with Nissan's technical bulletin EL07-027B, reference ntb07-069B. After filling the tank, the fuel guage took approximately 20 minutes to register full. Now my fuel gauge does not work at all- it simply displays zero fuel present in the tank. I've already ran out of fuel once this week, on the highway.this problem is caused by the deterioration of the unit based on use and not time.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Feb 152013

They know about this fuel pump bad, pay about $600.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that fuel level sensor failed and would not read when the fuel tank was full or empty. The failure was experienced several times and caused the vehicle to stall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 131,000.

- Bluff City , TN, USA

Jun 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, he noticed that the fuel gauge displayed an inaccurate reading. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the fuel gauge sending unit would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Brookline, NH, USA

Jul 022013

Frontier 6-cyl

I brought my truck into the Nissan dealer after transmission problems. Nissan acknowledged that there is a known defect with the 2005 Frontier that causes cross contamination between the radiator and transmission. Despite only being 6K over the 80K free repair, I had to pay $2500 out of pocket for deductible. This seems unreasonable as it is a known defect affecting 2005-2009 Frontiers and xterras.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 272013

Frontier 6-cyl

Service engine soon led illuminated after starting vehicle. Checked code is P0463 fuel level sensor a circuit high input. Fuel level gauge is not accurate. Driver does not know when fuel tank is empty. Should be a recall.

- Conifer, CO, USA

Jan 092013

Frontier 6-cyl

My vehicle has developed a vibration while I am driving which has been very uncomfortable, however, nothing major in the performance of the vehicle, however, now my vehicle has decided to randomly turn off while driving. This is extremely dangerous and could cause an accident. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they said that they found trans fluid mixing with coolant due to leaking trans cooler in radiator and the total cost would come out to $5,000. I am unable to afford this bill so I have not been able to repair my vehicle.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Frontier 6-cyl

After filling truck up with gas the fuel gauge did not register full. After driving a few miles down the road the check engine light came on and the gas gauge went to empty. Mechanic checked the the check engine code, which was a fuel sensor error. The mechanic reset the check engine. After several miles the gas gauge started working again. It has been this way for six months now. Every time I fill my truck up with gas it does not register full. A few miles later the gas gauge goes to empty and the check engine light comes on. After several miles (varies from approximately 20 to 100 miles) the fuel gauge starts working again. Sometimes it not a matter of miles but time. Fill my truck up, gas gauge goes to empty, park my truck at the airport for a few days and when I get back the fuel gauge works.

- Euharlee, GA, USA

Dec 052012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that after refueling, the fuel level indicator provided an inaccurate reading of empty. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Sandow, NH, USA

Oct 292012

Frontier 6-cyl

Fuel sensor will show 1/4 tank of gasoline and low fuel light will come on and gauge will show empty shortly after.

- Oklahoma City , TX, USA

Aug 242012

Service engine soon light came on and the fuel gauge started going wacky and ultimately showed empty eventhough I had 1/2 tank of gas. Light would not go out, so I researched the issue on the internet and found that it is a known issue on my Nissan truck. There is even a service bulletin out on it. So, off I went and took it into my Nissan service department and they said the code P0463 was a fuel sensing unit that they would repair for over $350. I see this as a safety issue, since my wife drives the truck and if she is unable to correctly determine how much fuel is in the truck she runs the risk of running out of gas in traffic or maybe even in an unsafe neighborhood.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

May 052012

Frontier 6-cyl

I am having a fuel sending unit problem. Same problem Nissan is having with other Nissan trucks and they have recalled the newer models for replace at no cost to the customer. On my 2005 they offer no help at all. They know sending unit is defective. This problem of maybe running out of gas and being rear ended I think is a safety concern. Nissan should repair all trucks that they have defective parts in. I have had no accidents.

- Abilene, TX, USA