CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

9.2

$4,139.00

1. replace radiator and transmission (39 reports)
  2. replace or rebuild transmission (37 reports)
  4. new radiator and transmission! (8 reports)
  5. replace transmission and radiator (7 reports)
  6. bypass radiator and rebuild/replace transmission (4 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 162016

Frontier Nismo V6

I thought that buying a vehicle that I used to sell brand new back in 2005 to 2006 when I worked for Nissan would be enough to trust the brand. I worked for Elway Nissan in Denver for a period of time selling these trucks new, thought it was the best bang for the buck and beat out Toyota for price and horsepower at the time, sold a few to friends as well. I came across one at a dealership here in Wheatridge Colorado that had just over 120,500 when I bought it, truck has everything offered under the Nismo and was excited to once again, be around a truck that I used to envy as a great buy. I got just over 1,500 miles on the truck before the radiator cracked and left me with the dead transmission I now know so much more about. How can you not do something for the people that trust on the brand, had a few Nissans over the years and thought I would be good with a used one. I am upset, irritated but overall sad that Nissan has not made things right for clients over the years, this should be a total recall and everyone of these vehicles should have been repaired before the transmissions go out. Known issue that could've been avoided with a $60 fix of looping the radiator hose. I would get rid of the truck and get something else but took out a loan and now eating the extra expense of repairs which leaves me upside down under the truck. Thanks for not letting your customers know that a simple fix could prevent thousands of dollars in repairs.

- , Parker, CO, USA

May 182016

Frontier ES

Problem just presented itself......radiator fluid in transmission and transmission fluid in cooling system. From everything I have read, repairs will cost over half the value of the vehicle. It now is sitting in my driveway while I decide what to do with it. Nissan should have issued a recall before this occurred to many of us. The fact that they didn't is more than enough for me to NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN and to relay that message to everyone I know and can reach. This is my fourth Nissan, and it will be the last.

- , Muscadine, AL, USA

Oct 202012

Frontier V6

Nissan ignored the cross contamination from the coolant that leaked into my transmission. I will never again buy any vehicle from Nissan. After this fiasco, I could never trust them again. They burned thousands of people, and never really owned up to their culpability. Nissan lacks integrity and cannot be trusted. I warn everyone I can that they should avoid Nissan like the plague.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Jun 302011

Frontier XE 2.7L 4 cyl

I was driving home one night and I noticed that my truck wasn't down shifting when I started to climb a hill. Then I started to lose power. So pulled over on the side of the road and checked it out. No obvious damage. When I started to take off in drive. The truck can barely move as if it was standard transmission and the clutch was slipping real bad. I decided to shut off the engine while I used the phone to see if I could get help, which I didn't. So I start up the truck and took off as if there was nothing wrong with it. It shifted through all the gears, until I was almost home when I had to slow down, the tried to climb a slight hill, which I couldn't even make it. So I tried shutting the engine off and turning it back on, that is when I noticed that it resets itself every time you shut off the engine and start it back up. Anyway I decided to park it, and its been parked since. I checked Nissan and they are asking well over $4000 to replace the transmission. I don't have that kind of money. Besides I'm a TOYOTA person. My dad gave the Nissan when he was bed ridden, and gone.

- , Dededo, Guam

Jul 022012

Frontier SE

Traded this piece of crap in. Worst vehicle ever owned. Paid $3500 to have trans repaired at AAmco. 6 months later ....same problem. AAmco refused to honor repairs because 6 month warranty was up. Paid another $3000 to find out the part that was replaced was USED.

Contacted Nissan about problem, they refused to take any kind of responsibility. Antifreeze leaking into a transmission is an engineering problem as far as I can tell. (Particularly when you have NO ACCESS to a dip stick to check trans fluid). Nissan finally decided to help....but it only applied to vehicles under a 100000 miles which mine was now over. No one in my family will EVER own another Nissan product.

( I will never take a vehicle I own to AAmco transmissions either....bunch of thieves.) I couldn't trade this POS in fast enough.

- , Cocoa, FL, USA

Nov 232015

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

2015 Oct. My truck started shaking at different speeds. I had my tires rotated and balanced and front struts replaced, same issue. Took it to a shop, they said the carrier bearing was bad the drivers side rear axle was bent, causing the issue. I removed the drive shaft, replaced the carrier bearing and U joint. I was told the drive shaft needed to be balanced, but no one has the right adapter to balance. The Nissan drive shaft has 6 bolts while a regular vehicle has 4. Which makes the Nissan drive shaft unserviceable.

I took it to the Nissan dealership and they said it was the transmission causing the issue. They wanted $7600 for a new transmission and radiator. I went to another shop and they charged me $4500 for a rebuilt transmission, with the radiator bypassed. If there is a known issue with the radiator, why would Nissan not have them replaced? They could have at least had the trucks recalled and bypassed to keep the issue from happening then say, Hey we can replace our faulty radiator for $800. that's up to you. I would have rathered pay $800 for a new radiator then $4500 for a rebuilt transmission!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Mar 122015

Frontier

This is the biggest bunch of bullshit! They have known the whole time and didn't bother telling anybody. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Nissan. Actually I wouldn't have one if they gave it to me.

- , Granite Falls, NC, USA

May 182016

Frontier Nissmo Off-road 4.0L V6

So I purchased my 2006 Nissan Frontier from Harbor Nissan in Port Charlotte, FL. When I bought it they had it displayed as a 2007 didn't figure that out until I was off the lot. But my big bitch is that 10 years later a know design flaw in the radiator is causing cross-contamination between the anti-freeze and transmission fluid. They call it Toxic Hell Stew. Because it eats away at the gaskets, hoses, and will later destroy the transmission. The cost to fix this problem is around $4000 it was under warranty up to 2015. To bad I didn't have the problem then. Even though they had a class action lawsuit which made Nissan extend the warranty if you took your truck in to be fixed you would still pay close to $3000 to have it fixed. Know if its a known design flaw you would think the company would fix it free of charge. But no they offer no solution except for a sorry about your luck we cant help you with your problem but if your interested in a new or used vehicle I'm sure we can help you with that.

- , North Port, FL, USA

Apr 102016

Frontier LX 4.0L

THIS IS NOT FAIR NISSAN HAS TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGE IS TOO EXPENSIVE.

- , Carson, CA, USA

Apr 092014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I wanted to buy a Toyota Tacoma truck, but they were too expensive. Instead, I bought a used Nissan truck in 2008, it had 34,000 miles on it. It was the perfect size, with 4 doors for the kids and a short bed for cargo. For the next 75,000 miles, I had no major problems besides a fuel level sensor. I had gotten advisories from Nissan about transmission issues, but never had any problems, the car started and ran great every day.

Fast forward to March of 2014. At 110,000 miles, the truck began to shudder sometimes during light acceleration. I did some online checking and remembered the Nissan bulletin. I had the dreaded milkshake in the radiator! My radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission, and vice versa. I did some research, found this is a too-common problem, and Nissan won’t assist. Dealer estimated $10,000 for repairs. I loved the truck, so I paid my favorite mechanic $7,000 to replace the transmission, radiator, thermostat and hoses.

Now I have 140,000 miles on the truck, have spent over $11,000 in the past 24 months on repairs, and am thrilled to report I HAVE HAD ALL OF THE TOP 5 COMPLAINTS WHICH MAKES THIS TRUCK A CLUNKER: Failed fuel gauge, failed radiator, failed transmission, failed catalytic converter, and failed timing chain guides. Since none of these are safety issues, there are no recalls on them. Since my truck has over 100,000 miles, Nissan will not help.

I have learned my lesson: I should have spent a little more money to get the Toyota! Nissan makes an inferior product, and doesn’t stand behind them. Never buy a Nissan, you will pay for your mistake if you do!

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 012015

Frontier LE 4.0L V6 Vq40de

I buy the truck from a private sale. The transmission was not normal. I looked at the worst default of the Frontier on the internet and I find that everyone has a problem Radiator Crack Leaked Into Transmission Fluid. I have been to the garage. They said actually there was coolant in the oil transmission. I had to replace the transmission and radiator coolant radiator bypass. It cost me $2,408 CND.

- , Jonquiere, QC, Canada

Mar 212016

Frontier King Cab V6

The class action lawsuit saved me $800.00. That's really not good enough!

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 012016

Frontier SE 4.0L

Oh Please, Nissan how could you?? Why wasn't I notifified to replace the radiator? A simple google search informed me that I'm simply part of a significant pool of victims.

- , La Crosse, WI, USA

Jan 302016

Frontier SE 3.2L V6

I JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AT AUTO NATION IN UNION CITY. I ALWAYS WANTED THIS TRUCK. I JUST GOT THE TRUCK LAST MONTH 01/2016 AND I RAN INTO THE PREVIOUS OWNER. WE TALKED FOR ABOUT 20 MINS ABOUT WHY HE TRADED THE TRUCK IN. HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION AFTER HE HAD HIS MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND I HADN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS UNTIL THE OTHER DAY.

WHEN I TEST DROVE THE TRUCK I I THOUGHT THE ROAD WAS JUST A LITTLE ROUGH AND DIDN'T PAY THAT LITTLE ROUGH FEEL ANY ATTENTION. SO AFTER I PUT LIKE A THOUSAND MILES ON THE TRUCK, I GOT ON THE COMPUTER TO FIND OUT I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. THAT'S WHEN I RAN INTO THIS FORUM.

I HAVE NOT CALLED NISSAN YET BUT WILL DO ON MONDAY. I WAS A FAN OF NISSAN BUT THIS IS SCARY THAT NISSAN WILL PUT OUT A PRODUCT AND PUT PEOPLE IN A FINANCIAL BIND BEHIND A MISTAKE THEY MADE AND WON'T FIX IT. COME ON NISSAN.

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 082016

Frontier LX 4.0L

Truck gave no signs just went out tue morning an wouldn't move, had towed to Nissan an was informed of problem, all Nissan had to do was send out letter to bypass transmission cooker an no one would hav this $4500 problem

- , Inman, SC, USA

Feb 032016

Frontier LX 4.0L

I am the latest Nissan $3,000 victim. My Frontier (2006) stop heating a couple days ago. Took it into the shop expecting it to be the thermostat to only find out it is crack radiator leaking coolant in the transmission.

Well both are now destroy and must be replaced. The guy at my local shop said this is a common problem for Nissan and my car may be cover under an extended warranty. After checking with Nissan it is covered but the cost is $3, 000.00 to replace the transmission and radiator with all new hoses. Does not sound like it is covered to me!!

Did some on-line research and found out that a lot people are having this problem, what type of settlement is it for people to pay for defect design or bad material from Nissan. Well this is it.

I wanted to pass this truck onto my son, but guess that is a slim to no chance of happening. I would expect a truck only 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles not have this type of issue. Buy Nissan.. I am gone.

- , Woodridge, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Frontier Nismo V6

THE VEHICLE HAS 151,000 MILES, I ALWAYS TOOK CARE OF IT, CHANGING OIL AT 3000 MILE INTERVALS, NEVER TOWED WITH IT, ETC., ETC., WHILE DRIVING THE TRANS SLIPPED OUT OF GEAR. LUCKILY I WAS ABLE TO PULL OVER AND NOBODY WAS IN BACK OF ME. WHEN I GOT IT TO THE DEALER, THEY SAID THE RADIATOR LEAKED IN TO THE TRANSMISSION AND THE TRANSMISSION COOLER CONTAMINATED THE TRANSMISSION AND THEY BOTH HAD TO BE REPLACED AND WILL COST ME NEAR $5000 FOR TOTAL REPAIRS.

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 052016

Frontier Nismo 3.2L V6

Bought new Frontier Nismo in 2006, love it ! Well maintained. Rumble strip vibration started couple months ago, lasting couple seconds, then no more for many miles.Thought it was road surface.... Heater not blowing hot air, so brought in to local independent shop and told need new radiator, hoses, transmission flush and fluids.

Transmission expert says may need new transmission if first repair does not cure problem. Worried that damage done already even though I never used anti freeze to my recollection. The mechanic said the coolant and transmission fluid have mixed to cause this problem, and judging from others complaints the problem is common.

I hope I do not need a transmission because I have no money for that. I am having the radiator replaced and transmission flush next week, and considering transmission cooler bypass too, from independent repair shop, I am reluctant to drive 20 miles to Nissan dealer to be told same thing but for more money....Very sad, I loved my truck, but do not have $ for transmission, need truck to work, etc...could not afford deductible either if warranty covered it...need total recall and free repair !!!

- , Calabash, NC, USA

Sep 152014

Frontier LX 4.0L

I repaired the radiator myself and cannot afford the transmission rebuild. I am forced to drive it with a failing transmission. Hope it does not get me into an accident by failing. This truck has been a piece of junk Nissan should be ashamed.

- , WINTER HAVEN, FL, USA

Dec 162015

Frontier NISMO Off Road 4.0L V6

I bought a used 2006 Nissan Frontier six year ago and the vehicle worked perfectly until a week ago when the transmission began to cranked and making a hard noise every time it shifted. I took the vehicle to a mechanic and the diagnostic was a possible rear transfer case problem. I keep using the vehicle and it stop working completely. The vehicle went into neutral position and it is not moving. I checked for fluids leaking out of the engine but there was nothing. I look into the radiator and there I found something like grease mix with water. I was told that the transmission fluid got mixed wit the radiator water. I haven't seen any recalls on this issue for the Nissan Frontier.

If any one can assist me with a possible solution I will appreciated.

Rey-Radar