CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

9.2

$4,267.00

1. replace or rebuild transmission (30 reports)
  2. replace radiator and transmission (29 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (6 reports)
  5. replace transmission and radiator (4 reports)
  6. new radiator and flush transmission (2 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 012015

Frontier LS

Radiator leaked fluid into the transmission and both need replacing.

- , Conyers, USA

Jun 192015

Frontier SE V6

I contacted 2 different Nissan dealers and talked to two different service techs. One told me to check the U-joints and drive train. There was nothing wrong with either. Another said I would have to bring it in and hook up to a diagnostic machine (big bucks) even though the engine light was not on. Said it would be very hard to diagnosis the problem. I told them it felt like the transmission or the shifting sensor. They both assured me that Nissan was not having any problems with their transmissions. I took my truck in to have the transmission fluid changed (again) even though it had only been 10,000 miles since that had been done. That is when the problem showed up about the antifreeze in the trans. fluid. I still wasn't told that it had already destroyed my transmission. It got so bad I couldn't even drive it for short distances. A friend recommended me go to another mechanic and they told me what had to be done to fix it.

- , Salina, OK, USA

Jun 172015

Frontier SE V6

I received a notice in the mail about 18 months earlier from Nissan about the problem. I called the local dealer and they said the only fix was to replace transmission and radiator at my expense unless it had already leaked and was broken. They should have told me the radiator could be replaced and a transmission cooler added at a cost under $1,000. I would have done that at the time to prevent the issue. They should have to compensate owners for this problem. My truck was at 105,000 when problem occurred so the extended warranty was not in play.

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Frontier SE 4.0L

My 2006 Nissan Frontier sounded like I was running over rumble strips at random, when I was traveling back and forth to work. I did not think anything. This happened at the end of year in 2014... I was driving on a road in March with no rumble strips and it happened again.. so I took it to my local garage because I had a feeling that something was amiss.

After repeated driving by my mechanic, it happened. I was then told he thought it was my torque converter. I then found out about the problems that was happening on certain Nissan models. After that I found out there was an extended warranty with a co-pay deductible. My truck today has 76235 miles on it. I was never informed by Nissan of this potential issue, so that tells me they did not have classes in Ethics 101 in school and the mighty Dollar overrode it if they attended this class...Unbelievable....Never again will a Nissan be owned by me, unbelievable..

- , Troy, PA, USA

Jul 032015

Frontier SV 4.0L

I just totally think its BS that Nissan can have so many complaints, and do so little to resolve their consumer's issues. I currently own two Nissans and totally loved all aspects of both, til I found about the trouble so many have had with the transmission/radiator. And how Nissan has done so little to help!!

- , Winnie, TX, USA

Aug 072015

Frontier V6

Purchased this truck earlier in the year (2015). It had high mileage, but ran well, was clean and I needed a vehicle. Took a loan out as well.

My wife driving up to Lake Tahoe and truck stopped going around Placerville. She had it towed and that's where we discovered the problem. I then found out after researching how common this issue is. I am extremely angry that the dealership I purchased from did not say anything about this widely know issue and that Nissan has not taken any responsibility. I now have a loan and have to come up with 6000 dollars to replace the transmission and radiator and rent a car. Unbelievable!

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Frontier SE V6

I have a loan on this vehicle, though feeling cheated from the dealership that I bought it from ( May 2014) that they should have known about the problem. 3000.00 is a lot to have to cover out of pocket when Nissan knows there is an issue. Waiting for my local mechanic, who happens to be an excellent transmission person, to let us know what the cost of this all will be. Not including I will be without a vehicle for week to days unless I pay for a rental. If anyone has anyway to get some of this out of pocket expense recouped please help

- , Becket, MA, USA

Jun 192015

Frontier 4

I'm not the first and surely not the last that will experience this problem and its all been said..........Buy American. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER NISSAN.....

- , University Place, WA, USA

May 182015

Frontier LE 4.0L

Heavy vibration between 35-40 MPH in drive line was initial onset condition I noticed. Nissan dealer said the rear drive line & U-joints needed to be replaced. Drove it home and the exact same vibration was still happening. Called and returned the truck the next day. 2 hours later I was told it was going to cost $5300 to replace the transmission & radiator! I said no way and took it to a trusted former auto repair facility. They said it could possibly be fixed for less but recommended a transmission repair place.

It's there now and the owner said to plan on $4500 to get the truck running right again. He will by-pass the radiator and install a separate transmission radiator since he sees this problem with Frontiers & Pathfinders all the time. It's time for a class action lawsuit to recoup the millions Nissan owners have paid out to repair an obvious manufacturer's poor design! Let me know if any of you see a lawsuit so I can opt-in. By the way, I bought this new in May of 2006 and have had a number of issues. Last Nissan I'll buy or own.

- , Olympia, WA, USA

May 042015

Frontier Nissmo 4.0L

On my way to pick up some hardware for a project I was working on, stopped at a red light when the light turned green my Frontier did not want to accelerate. Engine revved up but no movement. It finally began to creep along, made it to my destination and eventually back home. Took the vehicle to the shop the next day. Good news, water leaked into the trans, $2800 to repair. I purchased this vehicle new and never received a recall or extended warranty information for this problem.

Probably my last Nissan due to the way Nissan is NOT handling this issue.

- , Flint, TX, USA

Mar 262015

Frontier Nismo V6

When this happened and I found out online that this was a major problem and the dealer never mention it to me when I had the transmission oil change twice. I was really piss off . Just wrote down oil look bad but shifting ok. I had Aamco fix it and they were the ones that told me to check this issue on line. They installed a larger Transmission cooler and bypass the radiator so this would not happen again, gave me a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty on their work.

- , Largo, FL, USA

Apr 032015

Frontier

It all started just like everyone else's...the rumble strip noise around 40-50 mph. Then complete failure...

I am saddened by Nissan's lack of response to this issue. The consumer is doing nothing wrong, yet the truck has a design flaw that allows the cracked radiator to leak into the transmission...and ruin it. I really do like this truck, but it has really leaves a bad impression of Nissan's for me.

After $3400 (not at the dealer...they wanted a couple of grand more), I have my truck back. I just hope to get another 119,000 miles...either way, there will be no more Nissan purchases in my family.

- , Pell City, AL, USA

Jul 242014

Frontier SE 4.0L, V6

Transmission just goes out in rush hour traffic. I noticed something wrong before and took it to Don Davis Nissan in Arlington Texas. They wanted $5500.00 to repair it. I got it repaired, radiator replaced and transmission rebuilt at Eagle Transmission.

- , Mansfield, TX, USA

Mar 102015

Frontier

Loved the truck till now. I can't afford to have it fixed.

- , Morgan City, LA, USA

Nov 012014

Frontier SE V6

This is a known issue by Nissan, but they have not done enough to fix this problem. In the settlement over this problem they agree to pay costs over $3000 for their design failure, but that is hardly anything to be excited about. They claim that it is not a safety concern, however when we first had a problem with our transmission it was when my wife was trying to climb a hill. The truck would not shift properly, stalled and she was forced to use the e-brake to prevent her from rolling back into traffic. We have also been stuck in tight quarters without being to put the truck in reverse. We love our truck, but it is silly that a design flaw in the radiator and transmission has put my family in danger and Nissan is making us pay an extra $3000 to fix their problem!

- , Chimacum, WA, USA

Jan 012015

Frontier SE V6

Initial symptoms were shuddering at highway speeds similar to running over rumble strips. This occurred primarily when letting off of the gas above 50 mph. Later the heater stopped working. The latest symptom was that the car won't go into low gear and revs at high rpms when taking off from a stop. At this point I began researching to find that my transmission was failing due to coolant entering my transmission from a faulty radiator. I checked my radiator and sure enough had a frothy substance at the top. I called the local dealership and described the situation and they confirmed what I suspected. They quoted me $4200 to replace transmission and radiator.

Update from Jun 21, 2015: I ended up having the repair done by the local Nissan dealership for $4000. They replaced the transmission and radiator. I contacted Nissan customer service prior to having the work done to see if they would offer any "assistance" but they refused. Truck runs fine now.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Mar 142015

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

My major complaint issue was the lack of a recall or notification that this was a potential issue. I was not aware that the potential for ruining my transmission existed until after it occurred.

Now, given the mileage I have on my vehicle, I would not expect it to be completely covered, but to just exclude those of us with higher mileage vehicle that experienced a known defect in the design is just unacceptable.

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Jan 302015

Frontier Nismo Off-Road Crew Cab Pickup 4-D V6

Recently ,one night, my NISMO Nissan Frontier would not shift gears coming from the house and lost power. So, I pulled into a store parking lot to return to the house and tried to put it in reverse. It would not shift into reverse. So I shut off the truck for a few minutes and cranked it backup. Everything returned to normal driving mode and i was able to shift gears as if nothing happened. I continued to go back to the house and a few minutes later, once again, the engine seem to stall, the gears would not shift and there seem to be a scraping noise coming from the engine. Next the engine service light came on, but i slowly made it back to the house. The next day i had it towed to a transmission shop for inspection and the guy told me I had transmission problems and the transmission fluid probably needed flushing. So the next day i took it to the Nissan dealership shop for a transmission flushed. I took it to the Nissan dealership and found out that the radiator had a crack in it. The fluid from the radiator was mixing with the transmission fluid. The transmission was contaminated and damaged by the coolant. Both the radiator and transmission had to be replaced at the cost of $5000.00. Wow. Now i am wondering if it is worth replacing after founding out about all these issues with the Nissan Frontier. Can't really afford the cost.

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Oct 152014

Frontier Nismo V6

I'M sick of this and stuck with this truck. I might have to junk it, no money to fix it.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 242014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

Just bought this truck for my son in December, thought we were buying a quality product but after driving the truck just a few days we received a check engine light with a P1579 code. Shifted really hard then locked itself in 4th gear. I was unaware of this massive problem, Nissan should have taken care of this already.

I will never buy another Nissan product ever again. No one in my family will ever buy another Nissan product again. My nephew owns a Nissan Titan and is now going to trade it in on a real truck, a Toyota. Also my niece owns Sentra and is now trading it in again for a Toyota. Both my sons now have Nissan Frontiers but we are trading them in as well. I fully understand buying a used vehicle there are going to be minor problems, however, this problem is simply beyond acceptable.

- , Pace, FL, USA