CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

1. replace or rebuild transmission (31 reports)
  2. replace radiator and transmission (30 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (8 reports)
  5. replace transmission and radiator (6 reports)
  6. bypass radiator and rebuild/replace transmission (2 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 162015

Frontier SE 4.0L

Never will own another Nissan truck! Have to bypass the radiator so my $3500 is not wasted again.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Aug 102015

Truck is not driveable until I get new transmission and radiator. Told dealership about the class action lawsuit and they said it was too late. I need to pay the bill is what they stated.

- , Rollinsford, NH, USA

Apr 092015

Frontier SE 4.0L

Radiator coolant mixed up with oil transmission. Had transmission rebuilt. 6 months later, the engine is overheating. I had already every penny i have in this vehicle. I will never buy another Nissan vehicle

- , North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 282015

Frontier LE V6

2006 Nissan Frontier LE bought at Jim Falk Nissan in Kahului, HI. Had this truck since day one. I tried my best to maintain this truck. Never was I warned about potential problems that I could be facing with the radiator and/or transmission until now when it is too late. The radiator fuid leaked into the transmission and created some corrosive brother that is now costing me a copay of $3000.

Never will I buy from this dealer again.

- , Wailuku, HI, USA

Jul 312015

Frontier SE V6

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4 X 4 with 108,000 miles on it. The truck truck has been garaged, maintained, and looks like a new one. Now the transmission is shot because of a defective radiator.

When I got the notice about the problem, I think in 2012 I went to my local dealer and asked them what I should do. The truck had 88,000 miles on it at that time. I was told that it was rare for the problem to occur. I asked about preventive measures and was told there was none. I asked about replacing the radiator and was told it would be the same radiator and that wouldn't do any good.

I worried about it for a while and finally never thought about it again until my truck started acting up. It was shuttering and thought it was something in the front end. Then on July 31st i was getting on the freeway and it stalled. I about got rear ended. By the time I got close to the house it was slipping so bad I had to park it.

I contacted Nissan they told me to take it to the dealer to be evaluated at a charge of $94. Nissan has since told me sorry about my luck, have a nice day. The dealership did waive the $94 for me. This is all so wrong. There should be a total recall for the thousands of people that have been burned by Nissan. There should have been a recall on the radiators in 2012. They settled a class action law suit for vehicles with 80,000 miles or less. How did they get away with this. All the failures occur around 100,000 miles.

Someone needs to pay to have my truck fixed. The average person like me doesn't have $5000 laying around. I was planning on driving this truck at least another 5 years.

May 022015

Frontier LS

I purchased this car from a dealership, clearly not knowing what I was getting myself into. Having previously owned a Nissan truck I thought I was getting a great deal. I could not have been more wrong! I feel the dealership should have at least mentioned this ongoing problem.I properly maintain all of my vehicles, but one day while driving a heard a snap/pop sound from under my vehicle by my feet and the truck suddenly did not want to shift and the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to a technician and got some very very very bad news. I thought I was going to throw up. Nissan needs to hold up their end, this is not fair for us who did not know about these issues. I will probably never buy a Nissan ever again.

- , Charlotte, USA

Jul 062015

Frontier LE 4.0L

Truck is in great condition and well maintained. Found out yesterday that the radiator is leaking fluid in to the transmission and will cost $3000 to replace. This was covered under Nissans extended warranty but not for me since I have over 90k miles. I feel this should be fixed at no cost regardless of mileage since this is a KNOWN issue with Nissan.

- , Allentown, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Frontier SE 4.0L

The vehicle takes off slow and pops into high gear after sluggish transmission. I have observed fluid in the radiator and coolant in the transmission.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Frontier LS

Radiator leaked fluid into the transmission and both need replacing.

- , Conyers, USA

Jun 192015

Frontier SE V6

I contacted 2 different Nissan dealers and talked to two different service techs. One told me to check the U-joints and drive train. There was nothing wrong with either. Another said I would have to bring it in and hook up to a diagnostic machine (big bucks) even though the engine light was not on. Said it would be very hard to diagnosis the problem. I told them it felt like the transmission or the shifting sensor. They both assured me that Nissan was not having any problems with their transmissions. I took my truck in to have the transmission fluid changed (again) even though it had only been 10,000 miles since that had been done. That is when the problem showed up about the antifreeze in the trans. fluid. I still wasn't told that it had already destroyed my transmission. It got so bad I couldn't even drive it for short distances. A friend recommended me go to another mechanic and they told me what had to be done to fix it.

- , Salina, OK, USA

Jun 172015

Frontier SE V6

I received a notice in the mail about 18 months earlier from Nissan about the problem. I called the local dealer and they said the only fix was to replace transmission and radiator at my expense unless it had already leaked and was broken. They should have told me the radiator could be replaced and a transmission cooler added at a cost under $1,000. I would have done that at the time to prevent the issue. They should have to compensate owners for this problem. My truck was at 105,000 when problem occurred so the extended warranty was not in play.

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Frontier SE 4.0L

My 2006 Nissan Frontier sounded like I was running over rumble strips at random, when I was traveling back and forth to work. I did not think anything. This happened at the end of year in 2014... I was driving on a road in March with no rumble strips and it happened again.. so I took it to my local garage because I had a feeling that something was amiss.

After repeated driving by my mechanic, it happened. I was then told he thought it was my torque converter. I then found out about the problems that was happening on certain Nissan models. After that I found out there was an extended warranty with a co-pay deductible. My truck today has 76235 miles on it. I was never informed by Nissan of this potential issue, so that tells me they did not have classes in Ethics 101 in school and the mighty Dollar overrode it if they attended this class...Unbelievable....Never again will a Nissan be owned by me, unbelievable..

- , Troy, PA, USA

Jul 032015

Frontier SV 4.0L

I just totally think its BS that Nissan can have so many complaints, and do so little to resolve their consumer's issues. I currently own two Nissans and totally loved all aspects of both, til I found about the trouble so many have had with the transmission/radiator. And how Nissan has done so little to help!!

- , Winnie, TX, USA

Aug 072015

Frontier V6

Purchased this truck earlier in the year (2015). It had high mileage, but ran well, was clean and I needed a vehicle. Took a loan out as well.

My wife driving up to Lake Tahoe and truck stopped going around Placerville. She had it towed and that's where we discovered the problem. I then found out after researching how common this issue is. I am extremely angry that the dealership I purchased from did not say anything about this widely know issue and that Nissan has not taken any responsibility. I now have a loan and have to come up with 6000 dollars to replace the transmission and radiator and rent a car. Unbelievable!

- , Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Frontier SE V6

I have a loan on this vehicle, though feeling cheated from the dealership that I bought it from ( May 2014) that they should have known about the problem. 3000.00 is a lot to have to cover out of pocket when Nissan knows there is an issue. Waiting for my local mechanic, who happens to be an excellent transmission person, to let us know what the cost of this all will be. Not including I will be without a vehicle for week to days unless I pay for a rental. If anyone has anyway to get some of this out of pocket expense recouped please help

- , Becket, MA, USA

Jun 192015

Frontier 4

I'm not the first and surely not the last that will experience this problem and its all been said..........Buy American. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER NISSAN.....

- , University Place, WA, USA

May 182015

Frontier LE 4.0L

Heavy vibration between 35-40 MPH in drive line was initial onset condition I noticed. Nissan dealer said the rear drive line & U-joints needed to be replaced. Drove it home and the exact same vibration was still happening. Called and returned the truck the next day. 2 hours later I was told it was going to cost $5300 to replace the transmission & radiator! I said no way and took it to a trusted former auto repair facility. They said it could possibly be fixed for less but recommended a transmission repair place.

It's there now and the owner said to plan on $4500 to get the truck running right again. He will by-pass the radiator and install a separate transmission radiator since he sees this problem with Frontiers & Pathfinders all the time. It's time for a class action lawsuit to recoup the millions Nissan owners have paid out to repair an obvious manufacturer's poor design! Let me know if any of you see a lawsuit so I can opt-in. By the way, I bought this new in May of 2006 and have had a number of issues. Last Nissan I'll buy or own.

- , Olympia, WA, USA

May 042015

Frontier Nissmo 4.0L

On my way to pick up some hardware for a project I was working on, stopped at a red light when the light turned green my Frontier did not want to accelerate. Engine revved up but no movement. It finally began to creep along, made it to my destination and eventually back home. Took the vehicle to the shop the next day. Good news, water leaked into the trans, $2800 to repair. I purchased this vehicle new and never received a recall or extended warranty information for this problem.

Probably my last Nissan due to the way Nissan is NOT handling this issue.

- , Flint, TX, USA

Mar 262015

Frontier Nismo V6

When this happened and I found out online that this was a major problem and the dealer never mention it to me when I had the transmission oil change twice. I was really piss off . Just wrote down oil look bad but shifting ok. I had Aamco fix it and they were the ones that told me to check this issue on line. They installed a larger Transmission cooler and bypass the radiator so this would not happen again, gave me a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty on their work.

- , Largo, FL, USA

Apr 032015

It all started just like everyone else's...the rumble strip noise around 40-50 mph. Then complete failure...

I am saddened by Nissan's lack of response to this issue. The consumer is doing nothing wrong, yet the truck has a design flaw that allows the cracked radiator to leak into the transmission...and ruin it. I really do like this truck, but it has really leaves a bad impression of Nissan's for me.

After $3400 (not at the dealer...they wanted a couple of grand more), I have my truck back. I just hope to get another 119,000 miles...either way, there will be no more Nissan purchases in my family.

- , Pell City, AL, USA