9.5

$4,376.00

1. replace or rebuild transmission (27 reports)
  2. replace radiator and transmission (11 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (5 reports)
  5. new radiator and flush transmission (2 reports)
  6. install a small oil cooler (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 162014

Frontier SE 3.2L V6

We bought our 2006 Nissan Frontier new from the dealer back in '07. This has been a nice vehicle until the day the transmission just quit. No warning lights, no dashboard indications, just stopped responding to the gas pedal being pressed. After further investigation, the mechanic reports that he sees quite a few Nissan Frontiers, XTerras and Pathfinder with the same issue. There is a known issue with the bad radiator design leaking fluid into the transmission. There actually was a class action lawsuit that made Nissan agree to extend the warranty to those vehicles that had up to 90K miles. This of course does nothing for me, except make me angry. The only thing Nissan will do for those who have a bad transmission under 90K is repair it with a $3,000 deductible, so that isn't a great "settlement" anyway.

I am most angry with my dealer, he sends me emails and letters about every "car sale" or oil change deal they have going on but can't send me notification that my crappy radiator can take our my transmission?

- , East Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 122014

Frontier LX V6

Took my truck to the mechanic because it seemed like there was a problem with the transmission. He told me about the apparently very common problem with the transmission and radiator problem. He told me it was going to be between $2,500 and $3,600 to fix it... depending on whether water got into the computer part of the transmission. He told me that he believed there was a class action lawsuit being filed.

The more I researched I found that it is too late to be apart of that lawsuit and my car didn't qualify being that it was over 100,000 miles. Un-freakin-believable!! I love this truck but after what Nissan knew and how they did NOTHING to inform any of the owners, I will never buy a Nissan again.

- , Mira Loma, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Frontier Nismo V6

When I found out the problem I called Nissan and they said I was pass the extended warranty. At that point I was but if they would have notified me when they did the extended warranty on it I would have been covered. They told me I was the second owner so they did not have to notify me. I bought the truck with 20,000 miles on it from their dealership, it was still under factory warranty.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

May 152014

Frontier CEO V6

I have been Nissan owner for years, this is a shame for them not to cover this and put cost on owners. My wife also owns 2009 Altima that I have already had to replace the transmission under warranty at 70000 miles. I will never buy or refer anyone to a Nissan vehicle ever......unless they do the right thing and pay back full owner's cost, which is not likely.

- , Butler, TN, USA

Mar 222013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

Now they tell me!!! I wasn't aware this problem was so common - or even existed! I had to replace my transmission last year due to this problem. If it had been a couple thousand dollars, that's manageable. But FOUR THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS??? OH...MY...GOD!!! On top of all that, it happened two blocks from where I was heading to close on my new house, so it made it all the more traumatic to be hit with this expense at that time. I know I got a lot of miles out of the truck, but to have to pay that much for a known defect on a vehicle of ANY odometer reading is unacceptable! Unaware of the issue, I've been searching for a Nissan XTerra to replace the Frontier, but now I don't know what to do! ARGH!!!

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Frontier SE 4.0L

This truck is perfrct for me and I love driving it. I am very disappointed to know that the Nissan company knows of this problem with the radiator and transmission and the expensive to fix the problem for their customers and have not stepped up to the plate and done the right thing. I am retired and with a fixed income that makes it very hard to come up with $3,500. to fix this problem. As a consumer I feel that Nissan should be responsible for the repair to a problem that they were and are aware of with the 2006 Frontier. It is sad that in our country the citizens have to take such steps to force a business to take responsibility for their mistakes. Nissan step up and do the right thing and take care of this problem.

Feb 012012

Frontier

Cannot believe a company like NISSAN will not step up and cover their mistakes.

VERY SAD, this has left so many families including mine in a terrible situation.

- , Covington, LA, USA

Feb 012012

Frontier

very DISGUSTED with Nissan over this matter.

This is worldwide problem that is a safety issue.

Gears completely gone and transmission shot.

This truck should have lasted and Nissan should feel terrible for leaving so many of its loyal customers in this situation.

- , Covington, LA, USA

Sep 112013

Frontier SE 4.0L

Nissan defect yet they won't recall it. Did not notify registered owners of problem so we could replace radiator and avoid repair bill. They need to stand behind their product or get in front of mine so I can run them over.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Mar 132014

Frontier LE

Took my NISSAN 2006 Pathfinder today to car dealer. I noticed about the shuddering noise etc.I was told that I need to have my radiator and transmission replace and they were charging me $5400 w/c is a shock to me.I was just out of luck because I have 101,00 miles on it and its not covered by extended warranty. NISSAN advice me to call consumer department. I am waiting for a call back from Nissan consumer department.

- , Corpu Christi, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Frontier LX 3.2L V6

from what i understand nissan never had a recall for this problem, however there have been class action suits against nissan to recover damages for repairs. Also the repair just done to my vehicle is no guarantee that the valve body on the transmission was not damaged thereby requiring additional repairs, i.e. rebuilding or replacing the transmission at significant cost...there dishonesty in this matter makes ti impossible to ever even consider purchasing another nissan.

- , Amityville, NY, USA

Dec 292012

Frontier V6

I cannot believe I used to rave and recommend Nissan Frontiers to everyone. Unfortunately,due to my job, I put a lot of miles on my vehicle. Nissan,recognizing they are selling faulty vehicles,offered an extended warranty on the trucks but I had exceeded the mileage. To add insult to injury, they also offered additional extended warranties for a significant sum to the owner, which I also did not qualify due to my mileage.

Nissan, you suck for not standing behind your product and selling a knowingly defective product. If you think I'm bringing my vehicle into your dealership for repairs so you can make even more money off me you are mistaken. Watch the roads, I will be in the 2006 Nissan Frontier with the giant sandwich board in the truck bed letting everyone know not to buy your product. I am also considering picketing your dealership.

PS - I still owe 5,500 dollars on truck and am now paying $3100 to repair it and STILL working 6 days a week. Thanks Nissan.

PPS - The transmission place we took it to had 2 other Nissan Frontiers he was repairing with the same problem.

- , Dorchester, SC, Angola

Aug 162013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

My check engine light turned on. Nissan said it was due to radiator fluid in the transmission caused by a crack in the radiator. This crack developed because Nissan used a radiator fluid that was corrosive thereby creating the problem. Nissan quoted me $6500 to replace my transmission and radiator. So I am supposed to pay Nissan $7000 out of my pocket for a transmission failure caused by them because of a faulty design? Thanks Nissan

- , toano, VA, USA

Jun 062012

Frontier LX, Nissmo 4.0L V6

This has been a very nice unabused truck and I can't believe that Nissan neglected a simple situation with the radiator that would have completely avoided this problem. What's worse, evidently in the face of overwhelming evidence of this being a design flaw through numerous documented failures, Nissan wants to brush it away as "one of those things".

- , North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 082012

Frontier LE 4.3L V6

same thing, i never heard of the coolant leaking into transmission till my truck would not start last week..my mechanic told me the problem,if nissan had put a recall, instead of extending the mileage, this would have never happened, i would have gone to the dealer to get the radiator changed!!! now, i have no idea if my transmission is going to work or not once they replace the radiator and flush it out....

- , Katy, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Frontier Nismo V6 4L

My truck was barely 1000 miles over the drive train warranty when the radiator failed and leaked fluid into the transmission which in turn blew it up. Of course Nissan wouldn't warranty it because it was over the miles by like 600. What a crock of sh*t 600 miles come on stand by your vehicles had Ammco fix it $3500 for the trans rebuild and radiator. Just 1 of the problems with the truck, will post the other big ticket repairs on other posts. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again!

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Frontier

After taking excellent care of my Nissan Frontier Truck, I'm talking oil changes, engines flushes, transmission flush, I am driving on the freeway to work when suddenly my truck seems to loose power, almost as if it shifted to neutral. I panicked but managed to cross THREE busy freeway lanes and pull over. I had to call work , letting them know I'd be late.

After about 2 hours waiting for a tow, I sent the truck to a transmission shop where I find out that this "issue" with the transmission is VERY well known and documented. A crack in the radiator causes the coolant to get into the transmission, causing all sorts of problems. I could not believe that Nissan knew about these issues and has not done a thing to fix it. I am so upset that I am going to have to dish out over $4,000 to repair a vehicle that is supposedly well made. This is a HUGE safety issue.

- , San Diego, CA, USA