CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

9.3

$4,122.00

1. replace radiator and transmission (37 reports)
  2. replace or rebuild transmission (33 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (8 reports)
  5. replace transmission and radiator (7 reports)
  6. bypass radiator and rebuild/replace transmission (3 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Apr 092014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I wanted to buy a Toyota Tacoma truck, but they were too expensive. Instead, I bought a used Nissan truck in 2008, it had 34,000 miles on it. It was the perfect size, with 4 doors for the kids and a short bed for cargo. For the next 75,000 miles, I had no major problems besides a fuel level sensor. I had gotten advisories from Nissan about transmission issues, but never had any problems, the car started and ran great every day.

Fast forward to March of 2014. At 110,000 miles, the truck began to shudder sometimes during light acceleration. I did some online checking and remembered the Nissan bulletin. I had the dreaded milkshake in the radiator! My radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission, and vice versa. I did some research, found this is a too-common problem, and Nissan won’t assist. Dealer estimated $10,000 for repairs. I loved the truck, so I paid my favorite mechanic $7,000 to replace the transmission, radiator, thermostat and hoses.

Now I have 140,000 miles on the truck, have spent over $11,000 in the past 24 months on repairs, and am thrilled to report I HAVE HAD ALL OF THE TOP 5 COMPLAINTS WHICH MAKES THIS TRUCK A CLUNKER: Failed fuel gauge, failed radiator, failed transmission, failed catalytic converter, and failed timing chain guides. Since none of these are safety issues, there are no recalls on them. Since my truck has over 100,000 miles, Nissan will not help.

I have learned my lesson: I should have spent a little more money to get the Toyota! Nissan makes an inferior product, and doesn’t stand behind them. Never buy a Nissan, you will pay for your mistake if you do!

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 012015

Frontier LE 4.0L V6 Vq40de

I buy the truck from a private sale. The transmission was not normal. I looked at the worst default of the Frontier on the internet and I find that everyone has a problem Radiator Crack Leaked Into Transmission Fluid. I have been to the garage. They said actually there was coolant in the oil transmission. I had to replace the transmission and radiator coolant radiator bypass. It cost me $2,408 CND.

- , Jonquiere, QC, Canada

Mar 212016

Frontier King Cab V6

The class action lawsuit saved me $800.00. That's really not good enough!

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 012016

Frontier SE 4.0L

Oh Please, Nissan how could you?? Why wasn't I notifified to replace the radiator? A simple google search informed me that I'm simply part of a significant pool of victims.

- , La Crosse, WI, USA

Jan 302016

Frontier SE 3.2L V6

I JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AT AUTO NATION IN UNION CITY. I ALWAYS WANTED THIS TRUCK. I JUST GOT THE TRUCK LAST MONTH 01/2016 AND I RAN INTO THE PREVIOUS OWNER. WE TALKED FOR ABOUT 20 MINS ABOUT WHY HE TRADED THE TRUCK IN. HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION AFTER HE HAD HIS MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND I HADN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS UNTIL THE OTHER DAY.

WHEN I TEST DROVE THE TRUCK I I THOUGHT THE ROAD WAS JUST A LITTLE ROUGH AND DIDN'T PAY THAT LITTLE ROUGH FEEL ANY ATTENTION. SO AFTER I PUT LIKE A THOUSAND MILES ON THE TRUCK, I GOT ON THE COMPUTER TO FIND OUT I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. THAT'S WHEN I RAN INTO THIS FORUM.

I HAVE NOT CALLED NISSAN YET BUT WILL DO ON MONDAY. I WAS A FAN OF NISSAN BUT THIS IS SCARY THAT NISSAN WILL PUT OUT A PRODUCT AND PUT PEOPLE IN A FINANCIAL BIND BEHIND A MISTAKE THEY MADE AND WON'T FIX IT. COME ON NISSAN.

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Feb 082016

Frontier LX 4.0L

Truck gave no signs just went out tue morning an wouldn't move, had towed to Nissan an was informed of problem, all Nissan had to do was send out letter to bypass transmission cooker an no one would hav this $4500 problem

- , Inman, SC, USA

Feb 032016

Frontier LX 4.0L

I am the latest Nissan $3,000 victim. My Frontier (2006) stop heating a couple days ago. Took it into the shop expecting it to be the thermostat to only find out it is crack radiator leaking coolant in the transmission.

Well both are now destroy and must be replaced. The guy at my local shop said this is a common problem for Nissan and my car may be cover under an extended warranty. After checking with Nissan it is covered but the cost is $3, 000.00 to replace the transmission and radiator with all new hoses. Does not sound like it is covered to me!!

Did some on-line research and found out that a lot people are having this problem, what type of settlement is it for people to pay for defect design or bad material from Nissan. Well this is it.

I wanted to pass this truck onto my son, but guess that is a slim to no chance of happening. I would expect a truck only 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles not have this type of issue. Buy Nissan.. I am gone.

- , Woodridge, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Frontier Nismo V6

THE VEHICLE HAS 151,000 MILES, I ALWAYS TOOK CARE OF IT, CHANGING OIL AT 3000 MILE INTERVALS, NEVER TOWED WITH IT, ETC., ETC., WHILE DRIVING THE TRANS SLIPPED OUT OF GEAR. LUCKILY I WAS ABLE TO PULL OVER AND NOBODY WAS IN BACK OF ME. WHEN I GOT IT TO THE DEALER, THEY SAID THE RADIATOR LEAKED IN TO THE TRANSMISSION AND THE TRANSMISSION COOLER CONTAMINATED THE TRANSMISSION AND THEY BOTH HAD TO BE REPLACED AND WILL COST ME NEAR $5000 FOR TOTAL REPAIRS.

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 052016

Frontier Nismo 3.2L V6

Bought new Frontier Nismo in 2006, love it ! Well maintained. Rumble strip vibration started couple months ago, lasting couple seconds, then no more for many miles.Thought it was road surface.... Heater not blowing hot air, so brought in to local independent shop and told need new radiator, hoses, transmission flush and fluids.

Transmission expert says may need new transmission if first repair does not cure problem. Worried that damage done already even though I never used anti freeze to my recollection. The mechanic said the coolant and transmission fluid have mixed to cause this problem, and judging from others complaints the problem is common.

I hope I do not need a transmission because I have no money for that. I am having the radiator replaced and transmission flush next week, and considering transmission cooler bypass too, from independent repair shop, I am reluctant to drive 20 miles to Nissan dealer to be told same thing but for more money....Very sad, I loved my truck, but do not have $ for transmission, need truck to work, etc...could not afford deductible either if warranty covered it...need total recall and free repair !!!

- , Calabash, NC, USA

Sep 152014

Frontier LX 4.0L

I repaired the radiator myself and cannot afford the transmission rebuild. I am forced to drive it with a failing transmission. Hope it does not get me into an accident by failing. This truck has been a piece of junk Nissan should be ashamed.

- , WINTER HAVEN, FL, USA

Dec 162015

Frontier NISMO Off Road 4.0L V6

I bought a used 2006 Nissan Frontier six year ago and the vehicle worked perfectly until a week ago when the transmission began to cranked and making a hard noise every time it shifted. I took the vehicle to a mechanic and the diagnostic was a possible rear transfer case problem. I keep using the vehicle and it stop working completely. The vehicle went into neutral position and it is not moving. I checked for fluids leaking out of the engine but there was nothing. I look into the radiator and there I found something like grease mix with water. I was told that the transmission fluid got mixed wit the radiator water. I haven't seen any recalls on this issue for the Nissan Frontier.

If any one can assist me with a possible solution I will appreciated.

Rey-Radar

- , Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Oct 152015

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

IN 2006, I PURCHASED A NEW '06 NISSAN FRONTIER. I KNEW FROM THE MOMENT I TEST DROVE IT THAT IT WAS THE ONE FOR ME. I LIKED THE STYLE, IT WAS VERY COMFORTABLE AND OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS ITS BEEN VERY DEPENDABLE. IT HAS BEEN VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF HAVING MADE ALL THE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES. IT CURRENTLY HAS 244,000 MILES ON IT.

THE FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE CAME AT APPROXIMATELY 225,000 MILES. I HAD THE U-JOINTS AND CARRIER BEARINGS REPLACED ON THE DRIVE SHAFT. NO OTHER TROUBLE UNTIL ONE MORNING AFTER STARTING IT, IT WOULD NOT MOVE AFTER PUTTING IT INTO REVERSE. I TURNED IT OFF AND HAD MY WIFE DROP ME OFF AT WORK. LATER THAT EVENING, I STARTED IT AGAIN AND THIS TIME IT WENT INTO REVERSE WITH NO PROBLEM. I DROVE IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS UNTIL IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN. I TOOK IT TO A TRANSMISSION SHOP AND WAS TOLD THAT THE TRANSMISSION WOULD NEED TO BE REBUILT, INSTALL A NEW RADIATOR, AND HAVE TO HAVE A NEW COMPUTER. THE RADIATOR HAD A CRACK IN IT, WHICH CAUSED A CROSS-CONTAMINATION OF THE TRANSMISSION, THUS THE REASON FOR THE NEEDED REPAIR WORK.

WHEN THE TROUBLE WITH THE U-JOINTS AND CARRIER BEARINGS SURFACED, I READ THE NISSAN FORUMS FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THAT WHEN I ALSO READ WHERE THERE WERE NUMEROUS PROBLEMS INVOLVING THE RADIATOR AND TRANSMISSION CROSS--CONTAMINATION PROBLEM. SEEING WHERE THIS WAS HAPPENING AT LOWER MILEAGES THAN MINE I FELT GOOD, THINKING I WAS LUCKY TO NOT HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM, UNTIL NOW! WITH SO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND NISSAN KNOWING ABOUT IT AND NOT INITIATING A RECALL, I'M REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH NISSAN. I REALIZE THAT MINE HAS SUCH HIGH MILEAGE, BUT HAD HOPED TO GET AT LEAST ANOTHER THREE OR FOUR YEARS OUT OF IT BEFORE HAVING TO LOOK FOR A NEW VEHICLE. ESPECIALLY SINCE TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE OF IT AND HAVING DONE THIS WITH OTHER PREVIOUS VEHICLES. I HAVE NO BEEF WITH REPLACING A TRANSMISSION OR RADIATOR BECAUSE THEY JUST SIMPLY WORE OUT, BUT TO HAVE TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION, RADIATOR, AND A COMPUTER DUE TO A PROBLEM NISSAN KNEW ABOUT, DIDN'T SEE THE NEED TO INFORM ANYONE, AND READING THAT NISSAN ISN'T WILLING TO HELP, REALLY MAKES ME MAD.

THIS WAS THE FIRST FOREIGN CAR I BOUGHT AND I'M NOT SO SURE I WILL DO IT AGAIN. THANKS FOR THE READ.

- , Lonoke, AR, USA

Nov 182015

Frontier LE 4.0L

Nissan told me they would pay over the cost of $3000.00, a transmission change on this vehicle is $4000.00, big deal --- they paid 25%, how did they manage getting by a class action suit with 25% especially when it is there faulty radiators that causes the problem.

- , Carlstadt, USA

Nov 162015

Frontier SE 4.0L

Never will own another Nissan truck! Have to bypass the radiator so my $3500 is not wasted again.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Aug 102015

Frontier

Truck is not driveable until I get new transmission and radiator. Told dealership about the class action lawsuit and they said it was too late. I need to pay the bill is what they stated.

- , Rollinsford, NH, USA

Apr 092015

Frontier SE 4.0L

Radiator coolant mixed up with oil transmission. Had transmission rebuilt. 6 months later, the engine is overheating. I had already every penny i have in this vehicle. I will never buy another Nissan vehicle

- , North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 282015

Frontier LE V6

2006 Nissan Frontier LE bought at Jim Falk Nissan in Kahului, HI. Had this truck since day one. I tried my best to maintain this truck. Never was I warned about potential problems that I could be facing with the radiator and/or transmission until now when it is too late. The radiator fuid leaked into the transmission and created some corrosive brother that is now costing me a copay of $3000.

Never will I buy from this dealer again.

Thanks.

- , Wailuku, HI, USA

Jul 312015

Frontier SE V6

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4 X 4 with 108,000 miles on it. The truck truck has been garaged, maintained, and looks like a new one. Now the transmission is shot because of a defective radiator.

When I got the notice about the problem, I think in 2012 I went to my local dealer and asked them what I should do. The truck had 88,000 miles on it at that time. I was told that it was rare for the problem to occur. I asked about preventive measures and was told there was none. I asked about replacing the radiator and was told it would be the same radiator and that wouldn't do any good.

I worried about it for a while and finally never thought about it again until my truck started acting up. It was shuttering and thought it was something in the front end. Then on July 31st i was getting on the freeway and it stalled. I about got rear ended. By the time I got close to the house it was slipping so bad I had to park it.

I contacted Nissan they told me to take it to the dealer to be evaluated at a charge of $94. Nissan has since told me sorry about my luck, have a nice day. The dealership did waive the $94 for me. This is all so wrong. There should be a total recall for the thousands of people that have been burned by Nissan. There should have been a recall on the radiators in 2012. They settled a class action law suit for vehicles with 80,000 miles or less. How did they get away with this. All the failures occur around 100,000 miles.

Someone needs to pay to have my truck fixed. The average person like me doesn't have $5000 laying around. I was planning on driving this truck at least another 5 years.

- , FLORENCE, KY, USA

May 022015

Frontier LS

I purchased this car from a dealership, clearly not knowing what I was getting myself into. Having previously owned a Nissan truck I thought I was getting a great deal. I could not have been more wrong! I feel the dealership should have at least mentioned this ongoing problem.I properly maintain all of my vehicles, but one day while driving a heard a snap/pop sound from under my vehicle by my feet and the truck suddenly did not want to shift and the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to a technician and got some very very very bad news. I thought I was going to throw up. Nissan needs to hold up their end, this is not fair for us who did not know about these issues. I will probably never buy a Nissan ever again.

- , Charlotte, USA

Jul 062015

Frontier LE 4.0L

Truck is in great condition and well maintained. Found out yesterday that the radiator is leaking fluid in to the transmission and will cost $3000 to replace. This was covered under Nissans extended warranty but not for me since I have over 90k miles. I feel this should be fixed at no cost regardless of mileage since this is a KNOWN issue with Nissan.

- , Allentown, PA, USA