9.3

$4,320.00

1. replace or rebuild transmission (28 reports)
  2. replace radiator and transmission (21 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (6 reports)
  5. replace transmission and radiator (3 reports)
  6. new radiator and flush transmission (2 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012015

Frontier SE V6

Initial symptoms were shuddering at highway speeds similar to running over rumble strips. This occurred primarily when letting off of the gas above 50 mph. Later the heater stopped working. The latest symptom was that the car won't go into low gear and revs at high rpms when taking off from a stop. At this point I began researching to find that my transmission was failing due to coolant entering my transmission from a faulty radiator. I checked my radiator and sure enough had a frothy substance at the top. I called the local dealership and described the situation and they confirmed what I suspected. They quoted me $4200 to replace transmission and radiator.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Mar 142015

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

My major complaint issue was the lack of a recall or notification that this was a potential issue. I was not aware that the potential for ruining my transmission existed until after it occurred.

Now, given the mileage I have on my vehicle, I would not expect it to be completely covered, but to just exclude those of us with higher mileage vehicle that experienced a known defect in the design is just unacceptable.

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Jan 302015

Frontier Nismo Off-Road Crew Cab Pickup 4-D V6

Recently ,one night, my NISMO Nissan Frontier would not shift gears coming from the house and lost power. So, I pulled into a store parking lot to return to the house and tried to put it in reverse. It would not shift into reverse. So I shut off the truck for a few minutes and cranked it backup. Everything returned to normal driving mode and i was able to shift gears as if nothing happened. I continued to go back to the house and a few minutes later, once again, the engine seem to stall, the gears would not shift and there seem to be a scraping noise coming from the engine. Next the engine service light came on, but i slowly made it back to the house. The next day i had it towed to a transmission shop for inspection and the guy told me I had transmission problems and the transmission fluid probably needed flushing. So the next day i took it to the Nissan dealership shop for a transmission flushed. I took it to the Nissan dealership and found out that the radiator had a crack in it. The fluid from the radiator was mixing with the transmission fluid. The transmission was contaminated and damaged by the coolant. Both the radiator and transmission had to be replaced at the cost of $5000.00. Wow. Now i am wondering if it is worth replacing after founding out about all these issues with the Nissan Frontier. Can't really afford the cost.

- , North Augusta, South Carolina, USA

Oct 152014

Frontier Nismo V6

I'M sick of this and stuck with this truck. I might have to junk it, no money to fix it.

- , Lakeland, Florida, USA

Dec 242014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

Just bought this truck for my son in December, thought we were buying a quality product but after driving the truck just a few days we received a check engine light with a P1579 code. Shifted really hard then locked itself in 4th gear. I was unaware of this massive problem, Nissan should have taken care of this already.

I will never buy another Nissan product ever again. No one in my family will ever buy another Nissan product again. My nephew owns a Nissan Titan and is now going to trade it in on a real truck, a Toyota. Also my niece owns Sentra and is now trading it in again for a Toyota. Both my sons now have Nissan Frontiers but we are trading them in as well. I fully understand buying a used vehicle there are going to be minor problems, however, this problem is simply beyond acceptable.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Aug 252014

Frontier SE V6

Nissan extended the warranty to 100000 miles, they knew about this problem, but since i was luck enough to have this happen 18000 miles over the "extended" warranty I don't get any help or assistance from Nissan, never again am I going to get a Nissan and I will do my best to talk anyone getting a Nissan not to.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Frontier LX 4.0L

The truck has been great, until I noticed my transmission was slipping. If there is a recall, they should fix my truck. I have spent money fixing it and have done so much to keep own my truck. Thank god it's paid for, but this is not fair if there are thousand of people out there with the same issue I have.

- , Sanford, NC, USA

Nov 152014

Frontier Nismo V6

The problem in my 2006 Frontier and other Nissan models was not caused by misuse or owner abuse. The "cross contamination of tranny fluid and and radiator coolant" (as stated on my work order) meant I had to have my transmission and radiator replaced, along with auxiliary parts. The cost to me was $3359.88. I paid Vernon Nissan this amount. Now I wish to be reimbursed, because it was caused by a defect in the design.

I was told by the service technician that I should be happy because I only have to pay half. I told him that I have owned probably 30-40 vehicles in my lifetime and never have I had an auto repair bill even as large as half this amount.

Is it possible to recoup the amount I paid?

- , Enderby, BC, Canada

Nov 092014

Frontier Nismo V6

The truck just went over 100,000 miles and what do you know, the transmission blew due to radiator fluid leaking into it - just like we found on Google. Pain in the ass and there is no recourse from Nissan.

Update from Nov 13, 2014: please delete

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 072014

Frontier LE V6

Bought this Nissan Frontier 4 months ago with 84k miles. I'm still financing $10k and today I get hit with this problem. I called Nissan and they tell me I would need to pay 3k to get it fixed. If I had the kind of money I wouldn't owe 10k. I will never buy a Nissan ever again. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with 170K miles and has never given me any problems.

Nissan should be more professional on handling this, specially knowing it's their fault. I will trade in this truck as soon as I get it fixed will get a Tacoma or Tundra, even if I have to pay an extra 10k. NISSAN = BS

- , Madison, NJ, USA

Oct 282014

Frontier 4L

I purchased a Nissan Frontier with some apprehension from my wife. I assured her that this was a good vehicle and told her we would not have problems with it. Was I wrong!!!!! We began feeling a shutter when we reached 60 mph so we took it in. The dealer diagnosed that radiator fluid had leaked into the transmission. We were not aware of a pending lawsuit until after the damage to our vehicle was done. Unfortunately, we exceeded that extended warranty that Nissan settled in 2012.

We attempted to call Nissan Corp to see if they would help but they hid behind the class action lawsuit settlement (extended warranty) and we are stuck with paying over $5,600 dollars in repairs. Moving forward, I will NOT BUY any Nissan vehicles and neither should you. Nissan Corp was aware of a defect which caused the RADIATOR to LEAK FLUID INTO the TRANSMISSION and settled on a lawsuit which neglected its customers. It appears that Nissan calculated its Risk vs Customer Satisfaction and sided with taking the risk and NOT providing customer satisfaction. This is a flawed business model/decision that will hurt them in the long run. I JUST HOPE NOBODY GETS HURT WHEN THEIR DRIVING 60 MPH AND THE TRANSMISSION LOCKS UP. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. MAKE SURE YOU FILE YOUR COMPLAINT

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 102014

Frontier LX 3.2L V6

A known problem with the Nissan Frontier, Exterra etc....

I had an Altima/Maxima as my choice for an economy car. I am now Nissan-adverse.

Good news for one of the other guys.

Their proposed settlement was extremely lame.

Stay away

- , Bend, OR, USA

Oct 052014

Frontier LE V6

The program that Nissan has to fix this is slightly more expensive then a transmission shop fixing it. This is not a very helpful program for the consumer. I am sure Nissan knows this and simply does not care.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I just wanted a reliable go to work truck that I could toss in a couple of bales of straw in for my grand kids chickens. I bought this off of a Toyota lot. Not a word said about a common problem. Paid a premium price for a lemon. I got home and was checking the fluids and now know why Nissan screws the transmission dipstick shut! I was somewhat surprised at the empty radiator. Took it to my mechanic to fix and found I had an empty radiator and a transmission full of milkshake.

I am in the process of bypassing the radiator and multiple flushing of the transmission with that expensive transmission fluid that apparently is only made by Nissan. They should give me the fluid for all of the grief I have been through.

- , Valparaiso, IN, USA

Sep 262014

Frontier Nissmo V6

I purchased my 2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo directly from the dealership brand new on June 26, 2006. I love this truck, I even talked my husband into trading in his Toyota Tacoma to get one (now wishing I did not). My truck has 77556 miles and is 8 years/3 months old.

My vehicle suddenly started vibrating causing my steering to shake and feeling like the transmission was slipping when my truck would change gears between 30-35-40-45-50-55 MPH. I took my truck into the Nissan dealer and after 5.5 hours was told the radiator was leaking fluid into my transmission and they needed to be replaced. I was told there was a extension to the warranty on these parts for this problem to 80000 miles/8 years for no cost to customer due to a class action lawsuit. Of course my vehicle is 3 months over on the 8 years but under the mileage. I spoke to the manager who then called Nissan North America and was told they would not budge on the extension. However, I was told if I wanted to trade in my vehicle and get a new one, they would deduct the $2500 from the price! Really, like I want to buy another Nissan since they do not stand by their product. I said no, I will get it fixed.

Nissan knows about this problem and should not only be notifying customers, but there should be a recall. If I had known about this problem, I would have had my vehicle inspected before the 8 years was up. My steering shakes and could cause me to lose control, this is a safety issue. I hope that eventually there is a recall for this and we all get reimbursed. I will never purchase another NISSAN again and I will tell everyone I know not to get one. Nissan is going to lose a lot customers that would have purchased another vehicle with them. I would think that the fact my vehicle cost $40,000, the $8000 it's going to cost them to fix their DEFECT should be nothing in the big picture.

- , Kapaa, HI, USA

Jul 052014

Frontier LE 4.0L V6

Hello fellow "Nissaners"! Well, was so happy with this truck and my wife as well, because that was her first idea to purchase this good-looking vehicle. Our son was driving our Frontier to school and back home a few years ago, then to a local University. Everybody were so happy! Then my son mentioned that truck is behaving very strange: heavy shaking/jumping at highway speeds around 60-65 mph. I didn't believed it till I draw myself. True! A few times I felt like heavy hit from behind, looks like someone ended up to truck's rear side! Then I searched web and after some exploration realized the problem is radiator coolant contaminates with automatic transmission fluid! How?! I opened radiator cup and saw milky substance on it and transmission fluid was not a clear pink color, it was more like pinkish milk shake color! That was it!!! After almost $32K were paid in full and happy family for a few years, now a huge frustration and helplessness!!! Dealers "offer a help" only if we pay full price for Transmission and radiator to change - about $6K. I have not so much money!!! I heard Nissan refusing a recall on this huge issue. Mr. NISSAN or whoever you are, please do something about it, are you sleeping well every night?! We don't!!! Are you (Mr. NISSAN) afraid to go bankrupt of this big problem - I've bet you are! But think of those people who are behind the wheels of your trucks and SUVs and on this cars one day might get stuck in middle of fast highway because of this failure...!!! I really hope somebody can hear us out there. Please do something!!! PLEASE!!! Other Frontiers, Pathfinders, Xteras - please write your complaints!!! Don't seat and wait when something will happen, or till something happens!!! Thank you!!!

- , Carmichael, California, USA

Aug 292014

Frontier SE 4.0L

Jumped into the truck to go to work, keys in and hit the start, and nothing! After panicking and finding a way to work, I called a mechanic friend and explained the issue, He went to the house to diagnosis the problem, and found a blown fuse to the transmission power module (scan tool was getting a no communication error).

Finally figured a way to bypass the blown fuse and get it to his shop and he pulled to pan and found water in the fluid due to a leaking transmission cooler. he recommended changing the TCPM, valve body, convertor and radiator.

I contacted Nissan's 800# and all I got from them was to take it to a "authorized dealer" for diagnosis at MY EXPENSE! I already paid a mechanic to diagnosis it already once. I asked for a supervisor, they would only escalate the issue once the truck went to the dealership for diagnosis.

I went to the Facebook page and asked that someone contact me, no avail. My only questions for tech was going to be, "how much liability did I have?" Were they going to pay total cost or deny the claim due to mileage or come up with some other BS to avoid responsibility saying that I did or did not do something.

Nissan knows this is an issue, but refuses to accept responsibility for the faulty parts.

- , Dry Fork, VA, USA

Aug 052014

Frontier Nismo

Glad the body is in good shape...gonna be in this vehicle for a long time to pay off this expense.

- , Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jan 162014

Frontier SE 3.2L V6

We bought our 2006 Nissan Frontier new from the dealer back in '07. This has been a nice vehicle until the day the transmission just quit. No warning lights, no dashboard indications, just stopped responding to the gas pedal being pressed. After further investigation, the mechanic reports that he sees quite a few Nissan Frontiers, XTerras and Pathfinder with the same issue. There is a known issue with the bad radiator design leaking fluid into the transmission. There actually was a class action lawsuit that made Nissan agree to extend the warranty to those vehicles that had up to 90K miles. This of course does nothing for me, except make me angry. The only thing Nissan will do for those who have a bad transmission under 90K is repair it with a $3,000 deductible, so that isn't a great "settlement" anyway.

I am most angry with my dealer, he sends me emails and letters about every "car sale" or oil change deal they have going on but can't send me notification that my crappy radiator can take our my transmission?

- , East Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 212014

Frontier SE 4.0L, V6

They knew about this all along. It took a long time for mine to surface, but it did. Nissan wants to rip you off to fix it. My truck just stopped.

- , Mansfield, TX, USA