9.4

$4,306.00

1. replace or rebuild transmission (27 reports)
  2. replace radiator and transmission (15 reports)
  3. new radiator and transmission! (6 reports)
  5. new radiator and flush transmission (2 reports)
  6. bypass radiator, flush, flush, flush transmission (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 282014

Frontier 4L

I purchased a Nissan Frontier with some apprehension from my wife. I assured her that this was a good vehicle and told her we would not have problems with it. Was I wrong!!!!! We began feeling a shutter when we reached 60 mph so we took it in. The dealer diagnosed that radiator fluid had leaked into the transmission. We were not aware of a pending lawsuit until after the damage to our vehicle was done. Unfortunately, we exceeded that extended warranty that Nissan settled in 2012.

We attempted to call Nissan Corp to see if they would help but they hid behind the class action lawsuit settlement (extended warranty) and we are stuck with paying over $5,600 dollars in repairs. Moving forward, I will NOT BUY any Nissan vehicles and neither should you. Nissan Corp was aware of a defect which caused the RADIATOR to LEAK FLUID INTO the TRANSMISSION and settled on a lawsuit which neglected its customers. It appears that Nissan calculated its Risk vs Customer Satisfaction and sided with taking the risk and NOT providing customer satisfaction. This is a flawed business model/decision that will hurt them in the long run. I JUST HOPE NOBODY GETS HURT WHEN THEIR DRIVING 60 MPH AND THE TRANSMISSION LOCKS UP. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. MAKE SURE YOU FILE YOUR COMPLAINT

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 102014

Frontier LX 3.2L V6

A known problem with the Nissan Frontier, Exterra etc....

I had an Altima/Maxima as my choice for an economy car. I am now Nissan-adverse.

Good news for one of the other guys.

Their proposed settlement was extremely lame.

Stay away

- , Bend, OR, USA

Oct 052014

Frontier LE V6

The program that Nissan has to fix this is slightly more expensive then a transmission shop fixing it. This is not a very helpful program for the consumer. I am sure Nissan knows this and simply does not care.

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I just wanted a reliable go to work truck that I could toss in a couple of bales of straw in for my grand kids chickens. I bought this off of a Toyota lot. Not a word said about a common problem. Paid a premium price for a lemon. I got home and was checking the fluids and now know why Nissan screws the transmission dipstick shut! I was somewhat surprised at the empty radiator. Took it to my mechanic to fix and found I had an empty radiator and a transmission full of milkshake.

I am in the process of bypassing the radiator and multiple flushing of the transmission with that expensive transmission fluid that apparently is only made by Nissan. They should give me the fluid for all of the grief I have been through.

- , Valparaiso, IN, USA

Sep 262014

Frontier Nissmo V6

I purchased my 2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo directly from the dealership brand new on June 26, 2006. I love this truck, I even talked my husband into trading in his Toyota Tacoma to get one (now wishing I did not). My truck has 77556 miles and is 8 years/3 months old.

My vehicle suddenly started vibrating causing my steering to shake and feeling like the transmission was slipping when my truck would change gears between 30-35-40-45-50-55 MPH. I took my truck into the Nissan dealer and after 5.5 hours was told the radiator was leaking fluid into my transmission and they needed to be replaced. I was told there was a extension to the warranty on these parts for this problem to 80000 miles/8 years for no cost to customer due to a class action lawsuit. Of course my vehicle is 3 months over on the 8 years but under the mileage. I spoke to the manager who then called Nissan North America and was told they would not budge on the extension. However, I was told if I wanted to trade in my vehicle and get a new one, they would deduct the $2500 from the price! Really, like I want to buy another Nissan since they do not stand by their product. I said no, I will get it fixed.

Nissan knows about this problem and should not only be notifying customers, but there should be a recall. If I had known about this problem, I would have had my vehicle inspected before the 8 years was up. My steering shakes and could cause me to lose control, this is a safety issue. I hope that eventually there is a recall for this and we all get reimbursed. I will never purchase another NISSAN again and I will tell everyone I know not to get one. Nissan is going to lose a lot customers that would have purchased another vehicle with them. I would think that the fact my vehicle cost $40,000, the $8000 it's going to cost them to fix their DEFECT should be nothing in the big picture.

- , Kapaa, HI, USA

Jul 052014

Frontier LE 4.0L V6

Hello fellow "Nissaners"! Well, was so happy with this truck and my wife as well, because that was her first idea to purchase this good-looking vehicle. Our son was driving our Frontier to school and back home a few years ago, then to a local University. Everybody were so happy! Then my son mentioned that truck is behaving very strange: heavy shaking/jumping at highway speeds around 60-65 mph. I didn't believed it till I draw myself. True! A few times I felt like heavy hit from behind, looks like someone ended up to truck's rear side! Then I searched web and after some exploration realized the problem is radiator coolant contaminates with automatic transmission fluid! How?! I opened radiator cup and saw milky substance on it and transmission fluid was not a clear pink color, it was more like pinkish milk shake color! That was it!!! After almost $32K were paid in full and happy family for a few years, now a huge frustration and helplessness!!! Dealers "offer a help" only if we pay full price for Transmission and radiator to change - about $6K. I have not so much money!!! I heard Nissan refusing a recall on this huge issue. Mr. NISSAN or whoever you are, please do something about it, are you sleeping well every night?! We don't!!! Are you (Mr. NISSAN) afraid to go bankrupt of this big problem - I've bet you are! But think of those people who are behind the wheels of your trucks and SUVs and on this cars one day might get stuck in middle of fast highway because of this failure...!!! I really hope somebody can hear us out there. Please do something!!! PLEASE!!! Other Frontiers, Pathfinders, Xteras - please write your complaints!!! Don't seat and wait when something will happen, or till something happens!!! Thank you!!!

- , Carmichael, California, USA

Aug 292014

Frontier SE 4.0L

Jumped into the truck to go to work, keys in and hit the start, and nothing! After panicking and finding a way to work, I called a mechanic friend and explained the issue, He went to the house to diagnosis the problem, and found a blown fuse to the transmission power module (scan tool was getting a no communication error).

Finally figured a way to bypass the blown fuse and get it to his shop and he pulled to pan and found water in the fluid due to a leaking transmission cooler. he recommended changing the TCPM, valve body, convertor and radiator.

I contacted Nissan's 800# and all I got from them was to take it to a "authorized dealer" for diagnosis at MY EXPENSE! I already paid a mechanic to diagnosis it already once. I asked for a supervisor, they would only escalate the issue once the truck went to the dealership for diagnosis.

I went to the Facebook page and asked that someone contact me, no avail. My only questions for tech was going to be, "how much liability did I have?" Were they going to pay total cost or deny the claim due to mileage or come up with some other BS to avoid responsibility saying that I did or did not do something.

Nissan knows this is an issue, but refuses to accept responsibility for the faulty parts.

- , Dry Fork, VA, USA

Aug 052014

Frontier Nismo

Glad the body is in good shape...gonna be in this vehicle for a long time to pay off this expense.

- , Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jan 162014

Frontier SE 3.2L V6

We bought our 2006 Nissan Frontier new from the dealer back in '07. This has been a nice vehicle until the day the transmission just quit. No warning lights, no dashboard indications, just stopped responding to the gas pedal being pressed. After further investigation, the mechanic reports that he sees quite a few Nissan Frontiers, XTerras and Pathfinder with the same issue. There is a known issue with the bad radiator design leaking fluid into the transmission. There actually was a class action lawsuit that made Nissan agree to extend the warranty to those vehicles that had up to 90K miles. This of course does nothing for me, except make me angry. The only thing Nissan will do for those who have a bad transmission under 90K is repair it with a $3,000 deductible, so that isn't a great "settlement" anyway.

I am most angry with my dealer, he sends me emails and letters about every "car sale" or oil change deal they have going on but can't send me notification that my crappy radiator can take our my transmission?

- , East Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 212014

Frontier SE 4.0L, V6

They knew about this all along. It took a long time for mine to surface, but it did. Nissan wants to rip you off to fix it. My truck just stopped.

- , Mansfield, TX, USA

Jul 122014

Frontier LX V6

Took my truck to the mechanic because it seemed like there was a problem with the transmission. He told me about the apparently very common problem with the transmission and radiator problem. He told me it was going to be between $2,500 and $3,600 to fix it... depending on whether water got into the computer part of the transmission. He told me that he believed there was a class action lawsuit being filed.

The more I researched I found that it is too late to be apart of that lawsuit and my car didn't qualify being that it was over 100,000 miles. Un-freakin-believable!! I love this truck but after what Nissan knew and how they did NOTHING to inform any of the owners, I will never buy a Nissan again.

- , Mira Loma, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Frontier Nismo V6

When I found out the problem I called Nissan and they said I was pass the extended warranty. At that point I was but if they would have notified me when they did the extended warranty on it I would have been covered. They told me I was the second owner so they did not have to notify me. I bought the truck with 20,000 miles on it from their dealership, it was still under factory warranty.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

May 152014

Frontier CEO V6

I have been Nissan owner for years, this is a shame for them not to cover this and put cost on owners. My wife also owns 2009 Altima that I have already had to replace the transmission under warranty at 70000 miles. I will never buy or refer anyone to a Nissan vehicle ever......unless they do the right thing and pay back full owner's cost, which is not likely.

- , Butler, TN, USA

Mar 222013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

Now they tell me!!! I wasn't aware this problem was so common - or even existed! I had to replace my transmission last year due to this problem. If it had been a couple thousand dollars, that's manageable. But FOUR THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS??? OH...MY...GOD!!! On top of all that, it happened two blocks from where I was heading to close on my new house, so it made it all the more traumatic to be hit with this expense at that time. I know I got a lot of miles out of the truck, but to have to pay that much for a known defect on a vehicle of ANY odometer reading is unacceptable! Unaware of the issue, I've been searching for a Nissan XTerra to replace the Frontier, but now I don't know what to do! ARGH!!!

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 182013

Frontier SE 4.0L

This truck is perfrct for me and I love driving it. I am very disappointed to know that the Nissan company knows of this problem with the radiator and transmission and the expensive to fix the problem for their customers and have not stepped up to the plate and done the right thing. I am retired and with a fixed income that makes it very hard to come up with $3,500. to fix this problem. As a consumer I feel that Nissan should be responsible for the repair to a problem that they were and are aware of with the 2006 Frontier. It is sad that in our country the citizens have to take such steps to force a business to take responsibility for their mistakes. Nissan step up and do the right thing and take care of this problem.

Do the right thing

Clarence Sponcil

Mt.Sterling, Kentucky

- , Mt.Sterling, KY, USA

Feb 012012

Frontier

Cannot believe a company like NISSAN will not step up and cover their mistakes.

VERY SAD, this has left so many families including mine in a terrible situation.

- , Covington, LA, USA

Feb 012012

Frontier

very DISGUSTED with Nissan over this matter.

This is worldwide problem that is a safety issue.

Gears completely gone and transmission shot.

This truck should have lasted and Nissan should feel terrible for leaving so many of its loyal customers in this situation.

- , Covington, LA, USA

Sep 112013

Frontier SE 4.0L

Nissan defect yet they won't recall it. Did not notify registered owners of problem so we could replace radiator and avoid repair bill. They need to stand behind their product or get in front of mine so I can run them over.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Mar 132014

Frontier LE

Took my NISSAN 2006 Pathfinder today to car dealer. I noticed about the shuddering noise etc.I was told that I need to have my radiator and transmission replace and they were charging me $5400 w/c is a shock to me.I was just out of luck because I have 101,00 miles on it and its not covered by extended warranty. NISSAN advice me to call consumer department. I am waiting for a call back from Nissan consumer department.

- , Corpu Christi, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Frontier LX 3.2L V6

from what i understand nissan never had a recall for this problem, however there have been class action suits against nissan to recover damages for repairs. Also the repair just done to my vehicle is no guarantee that the valve body on the transmission was not damaged thereby requiring additional repairs, i.e. rebuilding or replacing the transmission at significant cost...there dishonesty in this matter makes ti impossible to ever even consider purchasing another nissan.

- , Amityville, NY, USA