2010 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Frontier:

2010 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments

Oct 112016

Frontier

Radiator fluid leeks into transmission and ruins the transmission

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jul 262015

Frontier

Transmission has been slipping. Happens frequently when stopped at a red light, stop sign...when time to go car does not move. Complained to Nissan dealer in 2014 and they suggested changing the fluid...could not find any problems. Fluid was changed and I am still having problems. Will be taking it to another dealer this week. I understand Nissan has had major issues with coolant leaking into transmission as I had a 2005 Nissan Frontier and this is what happened to me. Nissan would not compensate me as my mileage was 100+K. when I treaded in my 2005 for a 2010 I was assured that Nissan had fixed the defect. Here we go again...I should have known better!

- Annapolis Junction, MD, USA

Jun 062013

Frontier 6-cyl

After driving a short distance to exit a parking lot and waiting for an opening in traffic on a busy four-lane road with a speed limit of 50 mph, I hit the gas to accelerate into an opening and nothing happened, no forward motion. And there have been subsequent incidents; one involved trying to cross a busy street from a stop sign. This is a definite safety issue; when the drive train is unresponsive in such circumstances, people could be injured or killed. Today, I took my vehicle to a Nissan dealer for an oil change and to have this anomaly checked out. They have informed me the radiator cracked, leaked coolant into the automatic transmission, and both must be replaced. This is being done at no cost to me, as there is a known issue with the radiator cracking for which Nissan has increased the warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles. However, the warranty notification doesn't mention the transmission may be compromised, stating only, "in vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, a crack in the radiator assembly might occur at higher mileages leading to internal leakage of engine coolant." My vehicle is four years old and just hit 12,000 miles.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Frontier

We have had the rear U joints replaced 3X on our truck and have rear axel fluid leak etc obviously the driveshaft is misaligned and eventually will fail. Also the transfer case and transfer case motor is failing. The first U joint incident happened IN6/01/11 at mileage 41,638. The transfer case issue began 10/26/12 at mileage 76,380.

- Sandgate, VT, USA

Sep 212013

Frontier

The rear axle seals are leaking. There is a service bulletin at Nissan for this issue. So this is a known issue. Rear differential fluid is leaking on the rear brakes. This will cause rear brake failure. I think there has been numerous cases of this problem. Nissan best to my knowledge will only take care of this issue if the vehicle is under warranty.

- Gold Bar, WA, USA

Jul 202012

Frontier

Noticed E-brake no longer holding. Took to local shop. Told me need new E-brake pads and rear axle bearings, seals. Apparently bearing seals failed and gear oil saturated brake pads. Took to dealer to fix bearings and seals under warranty (though they charged me for the brake pad replacement that was a direct result). A little online search reveals the bearing problem common on Frontiers, a result of improper axle venting. Apparently there was a retrofit part that Nissan sold to address this that has since been pulled from the parts offering.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 122012

Frontier 6-cyl

Transmission slips when placed in gear, does not engage right away.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 282011

Frontier 6-cyl

I put my 2010 Nissan Frontier truck into four wheel low to back my camper into its parking area. The parking area is located at the top of a slight incline. After backing the camper into position I placed the truck into park and left it running while I secured the camper by placing chocks behind its wheels and putting a foundation for the jack. I removed the safety chains and the hitch lock from the camper and jacked it up. As the hitch came off the truck ball the truck began to roll down the hill freely. I was unable to catch it before it struck things in its path and finally came to rest hitting a tree. The truck was still in park but the indicator for the 4 wheel drive and vdc was off. The truck when put N reverse would not move. I turned it off for a few minutes and restarted it acted normal.

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Apr 242011

Frontier

6-speed manual stick shift transmission; clutch failed prematurely at 20,160M, 13mos vehicle age; several months prior, intermittant burning smells of unk origin when backing vehicle that went away quickly may have been only symptom of impending premature clutch failure. Sole driver/owner is veteran stick shift driver since 1975, previous sole owner of a Ford Ranger stick that did not have clutch failure until 11 yrs of driving it and 85,000M, so driver error not a factor. Clutch failure in mid-traffic resulting in having to divert vehicle off main roads and slowly limp it to nearest Nissan dealership; clutch failure got progressively and dramatically worse in a span of just 10 minutes. Even though vehicle is covered under both a 36K/3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty and 6yr/75K extended gold preferred manufacturer warranty, Nissan refused to cover the premature clutch failure under warranty, claiming driver error. Mechanic for previous Ford Ranger is willing to testify to driver stick shift expertise. Driver was placed in harm's way by clutch failure; driver's expertise with a stick is the only reason vehicle was able to be driven in a limping fashion to nearest dealership.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA